How to allow server access but restrict internet access?

ChrisOfTheOT

How to allow server access but restrict internet access?
Our Vista laptops (& my Xbox) access our basic Windows Home Server system
through a Netgear router. It's all fine, but I want to (easily & quickly!)
restrict & control when some laptops can access the internet while allowing
free access to the server. (For instance, so children's internet access can
be monitored but they can always get to photos & backups, etc. on the
server.)

What might be the best way to do this?

Cheers,

Chris

ChrisOfTheOT

Re: How to allow server access but restrict internet access?
"ChrisOfTheOT" <NoSpam@email.com> wrote in message
> Our Vista laptops (& my Xbox) access our basic Windows Home Server system
> through a Netgear router. It's all fine, but I want to (easily & quickly!)
> restrict & control when some laptops can access the internet while
> allowing free access to the server. (For instance, so children's internet
> access can be monitored but they can always get to photos & backups, etc.
> on the server.)
>
> What might be the best way to do this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

I forgot to say that the control of the children's laptop internet access
must be on one of the other laptops - literally, an administrator like 'on'
or 'off' feature. Can life be that simple?

Cheers,

Chris

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: How to allow server access but restrict internet access?
Hi
Some Routers have the capacity to restrict Internet access of individual
computers at given time. Check your Router, or get a Router that can do it.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ChrisOfTheOT" <NoSpam@email.com> wrote in message
> Our Vista laptops (& my Xbox) access our basic Windows Home Server system
> through a Netgear router. It's all fine, but I want to (easily & quickly!)
> restrict & control when some laptops can access the internet while
> allowing free access to the server. (For instance, so children's internet
> access can be monitored but they can always get to photos & backups, etc.
> on the server.)
>
> What might be the best way to do this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

ChrisOfTheOT

Re: How to allow server access but restrict internet access?
Thanks for the reply Jack. I was hoping for an option to click on computer A
and 'Allow' or 'Block' (or something) from one of the Vista Network
features. Naive, I suppose...

Cheers,

Chris

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: How to allow server access but restrict internet access?
Hi
Some Software Firewalls might provide such feature.
Problem is that whatever you do on the computer clever kids (or their
computer wiz friends) can find away around it.
If the Router has fix timing and good password it would apply to all the
computers chosen without a need to do any thing on the computers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> Thanks for the reply Jack. I was hoping for an option to click on computer
> A and 'Allow' or 'Block' (or something) from one of the Vista Network
> features. Naive, I suppose...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

ChrisOfTheOT

Re: How to allow server access but restrict internet access?
The router option sounds like the most convenient, Jack. We have a Netgear
DG534 (or maybe 854?) or very similar, so I'll let you know!

Cheers,

Chris