Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain

Joe

Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain
I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing domain. When
I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is it
possible? If not, there are some applications that call files stored on our
servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category every
morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username and password.

My Question:

Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain
By design, the Vista home can't join the domain. However, you don't need to join the domain to access the domain network recourses. these search results may help,

workgroup networking faqsHow can I share files between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup computer ... 3) Create the same username and password on both workgroup and domain so ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm

logon how to2) Even you have different workgroup name and domain, you can logon domain instead of workgroup at home, and logon the same username and password on other ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/logon.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:237E0943-4669-4A7C-976F-CD6D8C6285C3@microsoft.com...
I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing domain. When
I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is it
possible? If not, there are some applications that call files stored on our
servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category every
morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username and password.

My Question:

Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
VTTfor

'Robert L [MVP - Networking Wrote:
> ;2838110']By design, the Vista home can't join the domain. However, you
> don't need to join the domain to access the domain network recourses.
> these search results may help,
>
> workgroup networking faqsHow can I share files between workgroup
> computer and domain/workgroup computer ... 3) Create the same username
> and password on both workgroup and domain so ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm
>
> logon how to2) Even you have different workgroup name and domain, you
> can logon domain instead of workgroup at home, and logon the same
> username and password on other ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/logon.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing domain.
> When
> I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is it
>
> possible? If not, there are some applications that call files stored
> on our
> servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category every
>
> morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username and
> password.
>
> My Question:
>
> Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do it?
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

*-
I have installed Windows Vista Home Basic on my boss' laptop. I must
join in domain of company.
Can you help me! To join laptop of my boss in our domain!
Thanh you very much!
-*

--
VTTfor
VTTfor's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32331

http://forums.techarena.in

Meinolf Weber

Re: Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain
Hello VTTfor,

Like Robert stated before, it is NOT possible with Home Basic.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> 'Robert L [MVP - Networking Wrote:
>
>> ;2838110']By design, the Vista home can't join the domain. However,
>> you don't need to join the domain to access the domain network
>> recourses. these search results may help,
>>
>> workgroup networking faqsHow can I share files between workgroup
>> computer and domain/workgroup computer ... 3) Create the same
>> username and password on both workgroup and domain so ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm
>>
>> logon how to2) Even you have different workgroup name and domain, you
>> can logon domain instead of workgroup at home, and logon the same
>> username and password on other ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/logon.htm
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing
>> domain.
>> When
>> I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is
>> it
>> possible? If not, there are some applications that call files stored
>> on our
>> servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category
>> every
>> morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username and
>> password.
>>
>> My Question:
>>
>> Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do
>> it?
>>
>> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> *-
> I have installed Windows Vista Home Basic on my boss' laptop. I must
> join in domain of company.
> Can you help me! To join laptop of my boss in our domain!
> Thanh you very much!
> -*
> http://forums.techarena.in

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain
Return Home Basic and get Vista Business or Ultimate that can join a
domain.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"VTTfor" <VTTfor.2xz1je@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> 'Robert L [MVP - Networking Wrote:
>> ;2838110']By design, the Vista home can't join the domain. However,
>> you
>> don't need to join the domain to access the domain network
>> recourses.
>> these search results may help,
>>
>> workgroup networking faqsHow can I share files between workgroup
>> computer and domain/workgroup computer ... 3) Create the same
>> username
>> and password on both workgroup and domain so ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm
>>
>> logon how to2) Even you have different workgroup name and domain,
>> you
>> can logon domain instead of workgroup at home, and logon the same
>> username and password on other ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/logon.htm
>>

>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing
>> domain.
>> When
>> I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is
>> it
>>
>> possible? If not, there are some applications that call files
>> stored
>> on our
>> servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category
>> every
>>
>> morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username
>> and
>> password.
>>
>> My Question:
>>
>> Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do
>> it?
>>
>> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

> *-
> I have installed Windows Vista Home Basic on my boss' laptop. I
> must
> join in domain of company.
> Can you help me! To join laptop of my boss in our domain!
> Thanh you very much!
> -*
>

> --
> VTTfor
> VTTfor's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32331
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=744744
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

miniman3214

Re: Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain

to join domain download this
http://q-consulting.home.comcast.net...es/joindom.exe

--
miniman3214