Vista Home Premium WiFi: Local Access Only

petergoode

Vista Home Premium WiFi: Local Access Only
If anyone can shed light on a WiFi public network access issue, that
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have just returned from a trip to Jamaica...I was able to connect without
problem with GoGo on the flight down, at my resort, but at the Montego Bay
airport, my HP Pavilion notebook was able to connect to their WiFi, but only
with local access. I tried to jot down as much diagnostic information as I
could at the time, since I will not be able to re-create the situation at
this point.

On running Windows Network Diagnostics, I got the message "There might be a
problem with one or more network adapters on this computer." Three options
offered, per usual, were to plug a cable into the notebook, automatically get
new IP settings for the network adapter (I ran that without any change in my
status), or possibly there was a problem with the network router or broadband
modem. Since others seemed to be able to connect successfully, and since I
have had no problems connecting from the other sites mentioned, none of these
make much sense.

At the network and sharing center, it showed "This Computer" -->
Unidentified Network x internet, although the MBJ (Montego Bay airport) name
showed elsewhere as being connected.

Further showed:

access -- local only
connection -- wireless network
connection (MBJ Wifi)
signal strenth -- very good
ivp4 connectivity -- local
ivp6 connectivity -- limited
media state connected

If it makes a difference, I was running on AC power. I tried rebooting,
cold and warm, disconnecting and reconnecting to the WiFi hot spot, and
repairing the connection, to no avail.

So, if there is a web site, a book, or any other resource which can guide
troubleshooting on such problems, please post as such...this is the second
time this has happened to me with this notebook, the other time was at the
airport in San Jose, Costa Rica, another airport at which others seemed to
connect without difficulty.

Thanks!

Peter

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Vista Home Premium WiFi: Local Access Only
Hi
Did you check at the info Desk that the connection to the public WIFI is
totally opened and No special credential, or Logon procedure are needed?
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"petergoode" <petergoode@discussions-microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If anyone can shed light on a WiFi public network access issue, that
> assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I have just returned from a trip to Jamaica...I was able to connect
> without
> problem with GoGo on the flight down, at my resort, but at the Montego Bay
> airport, my HP Pavilion notebook was able to connect to their WiFi, but
> only
> with local access. I tried to jot down as much diagnostic information as
> could at the time, since I will not be able to re-create the situation at
> this point.
>
> On running Windows Network Diagnostics, I got the message "There might be
> problem with one or more network adapters on this computer." Three
> options
> offered, per usual, were to plug a cable into the notebook, automatically
> get
> new IP settings for the network adapter (I ran that without any change in
> my
> status), or possibly there was a problem with the network router or
> broadband
> modem. Since others seemed to be able to connect successfully, and since
> have had no problems connecting from the other sites mentioned, none of
> these
> make much sense.
>
> At the network and sharing center, it showed "This Computer" -->
> Unidentified Network x internet, although the MBJ (Montego Bay airport)
> name
> showed elsewhere as being connected.
>
> Further showed:
>
> access -- local only
> connection -- wireless network
> connection (MBJ Wifi)
> signal strenth -- very good
> ivp4 connectivity -- local
> ivp6 connectivity -- limited
> media state connected
>
> If it makes a difference, I was running on AC power. I tried rebooting,
> cold and warm, disconnecting and reconnecting to the WiFi hot spot, and
> repairing the connection, to no avail.
>
> So, if there is a web site, a book, or any other resource which can guide
> troubleshooting on such problems, please post as such...this is the second
> time this has happened to me with this notebook, the other time was at the
> airport in San Jose, Costa Rica, another airport at which others seemed to
> connect without difficulty.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peter

petergoode is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista Home Premium WiFi: Local Access Only
Thanks for taking time to offer a thought on this.

Unfortunately, there did not seem to be anyone on site readily available to assist in troubleshooting...there were posters on many walls referencing the service, which promised to provide flight arrival and departure information for free, and internet connection upon provision of charge card information.

I am assuming the problem is some Vista setting on my notebook, since once connected to the wifi network there, I should have been connected to at least their local service upon opening my browser, instead getting that dreaded page saying no connection could be made. I have never seen any other manner of signing in to wifi spots!

pg