Connecting to Tablet PC

Roger Nye

Connecting to Tablet PC
Hi,
I am trying to connect from a Vista Ultimate 64-bit desktop to a series of
PCs on the same workgroup. All work well except a Tablet PC running XP SP2.

Vista sees the shared directory and has created a Network Location, but when
I double-click it, it says
"\\Tablet_PC\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to
use this network resource".
The same thing happens the other way.

- I have turned firewalls off on both PCs.
- SharedDocs is shared with full permissions
- Both PCs are wired to the network with Ethernet cables.
- Both PCs can access a shared folder on another notebook computer.
- The desktop can ping the tablet PC and "net view \\Tablet_PC" gives
correct results showing SharedDocs as shared
- Both PCs have the same user name and no password.
- Both PCs use the same workgroup name.
- The Tablet has registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\restrictanonymous
set to 0

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Roger
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Connecting to Tablet PC
You may want to use icacls to check the permission or post back with the result. This link may help,

Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see it but access. 2) you may be able to open it but . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Roger Nye" <RogerNye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE2166AF-9B4D-4DB8-BA04-BF22D7FDDA31@microsoft.com...
[...]

Dear Bob,
Thanks for your post. I didn't understand it entirely.

The first challenge is to read the Tablet PC data from the Vista machine, so
I assume it is the Tablet PC directory where permissions are relevant.

I ran cacls "...shared docs directory" on the Tablet PC and it said:
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)F
BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)F
CREATOR OWNEROI)(CI)F
BUILTIN\Power Users(OI)(CI)C
BUILTIN\Users(OI)(CI)R
BUILTIN\Users(OI)(special access:
FILE_WRITE_DATA
FILE_APPEND_DATA
FILE_WRITE_EA
FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
EveryoneOI)(CI)C

It is all Greek to me!

On the other points mentioned in the page you referenced:
1. The Guest accounts are enabled on both computers
2. All users have full rights on both machines
3. Both computers use identical usernames

I hope this means more to you than to me!

Best regards
Roger

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> You may want to use icacls to check the permission or post back with the result. This link may help,
>
> Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see it but access. 2) you may be able to open it but . ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Roger Nye" <RogerNye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE2166AF-9B4D-4DB8-BA04-BF22D7FDDA31@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I am trying to connect from a Vista Ultimate 64-bit desktop to a series of
> PCs on the same workgroup. All work well except a Tablet PC running XP SP2.
>
> Vista sees the shared directory and has created a Network Location, but when
> I double-click it, it says
> "\\Tablet_PC\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> use this network resource".
> The same thing happens the other way.
>
> - I have turned firewalls off on both PCs.
> - SharedDocs is shared with full permissions
> - Both PCs are wired to the network with Ethernet cables.
> - Both PCs can access a shared folder on another notebook computer.
> - The desktop can ping the tablet PC and "net view \\Tablet_PC" gives
> correct results showing SharedDocs as shared
> - Both PCs have the same user name and no password.
> - Both PCs use the same workgroup name.
> - The Tablet has registry entry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\restrictanonymous
> set to 0
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Roger

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Connecting to Tablet PC
Based on your post, only administrator can write to the shared folder. If both computers' administrators have the same password, you can test it. Logon administrator with the same password, they should be able to access each other. If not, check the ownership. If yes, assign the username modify permission under Security tab.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Roger Nye" <RogerNye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8311D20-3D1C-427C-94D3-700B5ABA2A23@microsoft.com...
Dear Bob,
Thanks for your post. I didn't understand it entirely.

The first challenge is to read the Tablet PC data from the Vista machine, so
I assume it is the Tablet PC directory where permissions are relevant.

I ran cacls "...shared docs directory" on the Tablet PC and it said:
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)F
BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)F
CREATOR OWNEROI)(CI)F
BUILTIN\Power Users(OI)(CI)C
BUILTIN\Users(OI)(CI)R
BUILTIN\Users(OI)(special access:
FILE_WRITE_DATA
FILE_APPEND_DATA
FILE_WRITE_EA
FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
EveryoneOI)(CI)C

It is all Greek to me!

On the other points mentioned in the page you referenced:
1. The Guest accounts are enabled on both computers
2. All users have full rights on both machines
3. Both computers use identical usernames

I hope this means more to you than to me!

Best regards
Roger

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> You may want to use icacls to check the permission or post back with the result. This link may help,
>
> Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see it but access. 2) you may be able to open it but . ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Roger Nye" <RogerNye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE2166AF-9B4D-4DB8-BA04-BF22D7FDDA31@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I am trying to connect from a Vista Ultimate 64-bit desktop to a series of
> PCs on the same workgroup. All work well except a Tablet PC running XP SP2.
>
> Vista sees the shared directory and has created a Network Location, but when
> I double-click it, it says
> "\\Tablet_PC\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> use this network resource".
> The same thing happens the other way.
>
> - I have turned firewalls off on both PCs.
> - SharedDocs is shared with full permissions
> - Both PCs are wired to the network with Ethernet cables.
> - Both PCs can access a shared folder on another notebook computer.
> - The desktop can ping the tablet PC and "net view \\Tablet_PC" gives
> correct results showing SharedDocs as shared
> - Both PCs have the same user name and no password.
> - Both PCs use the same workgroup name.
> - The Tablet has registry entry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\restrictanonymous
> set to 0
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Roger

Roger Nye

Re: Connecting to Tablet PC
Both computers have accounts with identical user names and no password, both
with full administrator rights. They cannot talk to one another.
The Vista machine has no access to the SharedDocs directory, not even to see
a file list, let alone writing.

Or do you mean that they both must literally be called "Administrator",
because that is not the common name?

> [...]

> > PCs on the same workgroup. All work well except a Tablet PC running XP SP2.
> >
> > Vista sees the shared directory and has created a Network Location, but when
> > I double-click it, it says
> > "\\Tablet_PC\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> > use this network resource".
> > The same thing happens the other way.
> >
> > - I have turned firewalls off on both PCs.
> > - SharedDocs is shared with full permissions
> > - Both PCs are wired to the network with Ethernet cables.
> > - Both PCs can access a shared folder on another notebook computer.
> > - The desktop can ping the tablet PC and "net view \\Tablet_PC" gives
> > correct results showing SharedDocs as shared
> > - Both PCs have the same user name and no password.
> > - Both PCs use the same workgroup name.
> > - The Tablet has registry entry:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\restrictanonymous

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Connecting to Tablet PC
Correct. Logon "Administrator" with the same password. it is not recommended to use blank password. this post has discussed it.

Why do I need passwordPost Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 pm Post subject: Why do I need password, Reply with quote. Yes, no paswword or blank password is easieer for hacking. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...282c8 a0da0d8

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Roger Nye" <RogerNye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8548F64-9E1B-48C3-8397-1489C97D05C9@microsoft.com...
> [...]

> > PCs on the same workgroup. All work well except a Tablet PC running XP SP2.
> >
> > Vista sees the shared directory and has created a Network Location, but when
> > I double-click it, it says
> > "\\Tablet_PC\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> > use this network resource".
> > The same thing happens the other way.
> >
> > - I have turned firewalls off on both PCs.
> > - SharedDocs is shared with full permissions
> > - Both PCs are wired to the network with Ethernet cables.
> > - Both PCs can access a shared folder on another notebook computer.
> > - The desktop can ping the tablet PC and "net view \\Tablet_PC" gives
> > correct results showing SharedDocs as shared
> > - Both PCs have the same user name and no password.
> > - Both PCs use the same workgroup name.
> > - The Tablet has registry entry:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\restrictanonymous

Roger Nye

RE: Connecting to Tablet PC
Now it works!
I uninstalled File and Printer Sharing on the Tablet PC network connection,
then rebooted, reinstalled it and rebooted again.

Best regards
Roger