LLMNR and network

feroz ahmed

LLMNR and network
hi what are the protocols that are responsible in vista(IPv6) for a computer
to visible in network neighbourhood (Network).
Chuck

Re: LLMNR and network
On Wed, 9 May 2007 21:31:02 -0700, feroz ahmed
<ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi what are the protocols that are responsible in vista(IPv6) for a computer
>to visible in network neighbourhood (Network).

Visibility in Network Neighbourhood is a browser issue. The browser uses Server
Message Blocks, generally hosted on NetBIOS Over TCP.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
feroz ahmed

Re: LLMNR and network
we have provided ipv6 support for SMB protocol for a device. all the
operations such as file share,etc are working with ipv6. but still our device
is not visible in ipv6 network neighbourhood. where as it is visible in
network neighbourhood with ipv4 enabled and ipv6 disabled. when we capture
packets between two vista machines, we found some LLMNR packets and a few
packets multicasted to ff02::c on to port 3702 has been observed. our device
supports LLMNR too. can you tell me what is the new protocol that Microsoft
has introduced in ipv6 for a device to visible in network neighbour hood.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2007 21:31:02 -0700, feroz ahmed
> <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >hi what are the protocols that are responsible in vista(IPv6) for a computer
> >to visible in network neighbourhood (Network).

> Visibility in Network Neighbourhood is a browser issue. The browser uses Server
> Message Blocks, generally hosted on NetBIOS Over TCP.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: LLMNR and network
On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:33:00 -0700, feroz ahmed
<ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 May 2007 21:31:02 -0700, feroz ahmed
>> <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >hi what are the protocols that are responsible in vista(IPv6) for a computer
>> >to visible in network neighbourhood (Network).

>> Visibility in Network Neighbourhood is a browser issue. The browser uses Server
>> Message Blocks, generally hosted on NetBIOS Over TCP.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

>we have provided ipv6 support for SMB protocol for a device. all the
>operations such as file share,etc are working with ipv6. but still our device
>is not visible in ipv6 network neighbourhood. where as it is visible in
>network neighbourhood with ipv4 enabled and ipv6 disabled. when we capture
>packets between two vista machines, we found some LLMNR packets and a few
>packets multicasted to ff02::c on to port 3702 has been observed. our device
>supports LLMNR too. can you tell me what is the new protocol that Microsoft
>has introduced in ipv6 for a device to visible in network neighbour hood.

Feroz,

Here's what I personally know, from reading and experimenting.
1) LLMNR is a name resolution protocol, for IPV4 and IPV6 networks.
2) The browser is an SMB based application, that provides the contents of
Network Neighbourhood.
3) Browser SMBs have traditionally run over NetBT over IPV4, directly hosted
over IPV4, IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI.

Since I don't know who you are (nor who "we" is), nor what your device is, I'll
suggest that you read up on IPV6, and see if you can find mention of SMBs over
IPV6. Also look for mention of broadcasting and multicasting over IPV6.
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/tcpip/default.mspx>
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...p/default.mspx

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
feroz ahmed

Re: LLMNR and network
hi,
we have provided ipv6 support for our network printer. it supports SMB
protocol too. the problem is when ipv6 is enabled and ipv4 disabled. our
printer is not visible in network neighbour hood of vista machine. i just
want to know what are the protocols in ipv6 required for a printer/device to
visible in network. in case of IPv4 it will be taken by NBNS if im not wrong.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:33:00 -0700, feroz ahmed
> <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck" wrote:

> >> Visibility in Network Neighbourhood is a browser issue. The browser uses Server
> >> Message Blocks, generally hosted on NetBIOS Over TCP.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

> >we have provided ipv6 support for SMB protocol for a device. all the
> >operations such as file share,etc are working with ipv6. but still our device
> >is not visible in ipv6 network neighbourhood. where as it is visible in
> >network neighbourhood with ipv4 enabled and ipv6 disabled. when we capture
> >packets between two vista machines, we found some LLMNR packets and a few
> >packets multicasted to ff02::c on to port 3702 has been observed. our device
> >supports LLMNR too. can you tell me what is the new protocol that Microsoft
> >has introduced in ipv6 for a device to visible in network neighbour hood.

> Feroz,
>
> Here's what I personally know, from reading and experimenting.
> 1) LLMNR is a name resolution protocol, for IPV4 and IPV6 networks.
> 2) The browser is an SMB based application, that provides the contents of
> Network Neighbourhood.
> 3) Browser SMBs have traditionally run over NetBT over IPV4, directly hosted
> over IPV4, IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI.
>
> Since I don't know who you are (nor who "we" is), nor what your device is, I'll
> suggest that you read up on IPV6, and see if you can find mention of SMBs over
> IPV6. Also look for mention of broadcasting and multicasting over IPV6.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/tcpip/default.mspx>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...p/default.mspx
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: LLMNR and network
On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:58:00 -0700, feroz ahmed
<ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:33:00 -0700, feroz ahmed
>> <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >we have provided ipv6 support for SMB protocol for a device. all the
>> >operations such as file share,etc are working with ipv6. but still our device
>> >is not visible in ipv6 network neighbourhood. where as it is visible in
>> >network neighbourhood with ipv4 enabled and ipv6 disabled. when we capture
>> >packets between two vista machines, we found some LLMNR packets and a few
>> >packets multicasted to ff02::c on to port 3702 has been observed. our device
>> >supports LLMNR too. can you tell me what is the new protocol that Microsoft
>> >has introduced in ipv6 for a device to visible in network neighbour hood.

>> Feroz,
>>
>> Here's what I personally know, from reading and experimenting.
>> 1) LLMNR is a name resolution protocol, for IPV4 and IPV6 networks.
>> 2) The browser is an SMB based application, that provides the contents of
>> Network Neighbourhood.
>> 3) Browser SMBs have traditionally run over NetBT over IPV4, directly hosted
>> over IPV4, IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI.
>>
>> Since I don't know who you are (nor who "we" is), nor what your device is, I'll
>> suggest that you read up on IPV6, and see if you can find mention of SMBs over
>> IPV6. Also look for mention of broadcasting and multicasting over IPV6.
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/tcpip/default.mspx>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...p/default.mspx

>hi,
>we have provided ipv6 support for our network printer. it supports SMB
>protocol too. the problem is when ipv6 is enabled and ipv4 disabled. our
>printer is not visible in network neighbour hood of vista machine. i just
>want to know what are the protocols in ipv6 required for a printer/device to
>visible in network. in case of IPv4 it will be taken by NBNS if im not wrong.

Well, the term "protocol" is vague enough to mean several things. I'll discuss
the browser, which is what you are worried about. When you disable IPV4, which
computers do you disable it on? When you enable IPV6 after disabling IPV4, are
you enabling NetBT on IPV6? Are you doing so consistently?

The bottom line is, all computers have to have the same protocol stacks. IPV4,
IPV6, NetBT on or off, all have to be identical. If they're not, you risk
having multiple master browsers, which cause segmented browse domains, and some
devices are visible while others aren't.