vista cannot map drive on predominately xp network

Irish Bob

vista cannot map drive on predominately xp network
i have recently bought a new laptop with windows vista home basic for work.

all the other computers here are using XP and they are all able to access a
shared drive which is based on one of the computers. the vista computer
cannot map the network drive it cant even see anyone on the network. all
other computers can see the vista computer but not vice versa.

i have allready made sure the setup is the same workgroup in all computers.
Also made sure to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP but nothing.

i have read through all the help microsoft gives you and i still cannot find
anything that will help me.

i even called microsoft support centre and the basically told me to jump
because the copy of windows that comes with new machines does not offer free
help i would have had to pay for it. this is crap and i am very close to
changing back to XP unless someone can please help me.
Steve Urbach

Re: vista cannot map drive on predominately xp network
On Wed, 9 May 2007 21:24:00 -0700, Irish Bob <Irish
Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have recently bought a new laptop with windows vista home basic for work.
>
>all the other computers here are using XP and they are all able to access a
>shared drive which is based on one of the computers. the vista computer
>cannot map the network drive it cant even see anyone on the network. all
>other computers can see the vista computer but not vice versa.
>
>i have allready made sure the setup is the same workgroup in all computers.
>Also made sure to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP but nothing.
>
>i have read through all the help microsoft gives you and i still cannot find
>anything that will help me.
>
>i even called microsoft support centre and the basically told me to jump
>because the copy of windows that comes with new machines does not offer free
>help i would have had to pay for it. this is crap and i am very close to
>changing back to XP unless someone can please help me.

you have something set wrong because it WORKS.
Vista to XP, W2k, 98 and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn <G>.

Are you on the same subnet (right click on the network connection icon and
select status)? Wireless routers mixed with wired LAN (with No built in
switch/ hub) may result in a different (routed) subnet even though it
*appears* to be the same (eg 192.168.0.2). Having a wired IP with the *same*
IP as the wireless laptop and NO "duplicate IP" error messages will be the
give away :/
NB "Access points" will belong to the same network as they are connected to
since they do not *route* the connections.

JRB Associates

Re: vista cannot map drive on predominately xp network
There is a great deal which was not said, but, Home Basic and Home Premium
networking are not desiged for the "work" environment. If by "work",
something such as a domain join is required, then Business, Ultimate or
Enterprise are required.

John Baker