Network & Sharing Center not showing anything

King Rooster

Network & Sharing Center not showing anything

Ok I am kind of stumped. I am running Vista Business x32 on my laptop &
last night everything on my laptop was working fine, and then this
morning my wife says she cannot connect to the internet. I go and search
for connections, 5 found including my router > hit connect and get a pop
up cannot connect, > Diagnose > but still no luck (problem still
exists).

So I open up the Network & Sharing Center only to find that it is
blank. No network location (public/private), no sharing options,
nothing. I noticed that there was an update last night so I system
restored back to Monday, but still same problem. I am stumped.

Attached is an image of my Network & Sharing Center. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks! Oh and my 2 other desktops are connecting fine (a
Vista and a Win7).

[image: http://www.kingroosterdesigns.com/networ&sharing.jpg]

--
King Rooster
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Network & Sharing Center not showing anything
Hi
Look at the Device Manger and see what is the status of the Network
Adaptors.
If there is No adapter, make sure that the Wireless adaptor is On and
reinstall its drivers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"King Rooster" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Ok I am kind of stumped. I am running Vista Business x32 on my laptop &
> last night everything on my laptop was working fine, and then this
> morning my wife says she cannot connect to the internet. I go and search
> for connections, 5 found including my router > hit connect and get a pop
> up cannot connect, > Diagnose > but still no luck (problem still
> exists).
>
> So I open up the Network & Sharing Center only to find that it is
> blank. No network location (public/private), no sharing options,
> nothing. I noticed that there was an update last night so I system
> restored back to Monday, but still same problem. I am stumped.
>
> Attached is an image of my Network & Sharing Center. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks! Oh and my 2 other desktops are connecting fine (a
> Vista and a Win7).
>
> [image: http://www.kingroosterdesigns.com/networ&sharing.jpg]
>

> --
> King Rooster

King Rooster

Re: Network & Sharing Center not showing anything

After plugging it directly into my router, via cable, i connected to the
internet which made me realize that it was my wireless card with the
problem.

Device manager showed no problems, its a broadcom 802.11 multiband
network adapter, which in the properties said it was working properly. I
disabled & enabled = nothing. I updated driver = nothing. I uninstalled
and reinstalled, then had to update driver through Device manager cuz
adapter was not found (had ! next to it), now it shows different adapter
(dell wireless 1490 dual band wlan mini-card). Connection is disabled
and will not enable. Installed drivers from both the dell driver disc &
dell website. Still will not enable.

The wifi switch in ON, but I notice that the wifi light is not. Think
my card is shot?

--
King Rooster
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Network & Sharing Center not showing anything
Hi
Some thing is wrong with the installation of the Wireless.
Check careful every thing. Same Model of Dell laptop can come with different
models of Wireless cards.
Try to uninstall all the Wireless Connections in the Device Manager (i.e.,
clean it up), then reboot. It might be that when nothing is there Windows
would install the correct drivers.

> After plugging it directly into my router, via cable, i connected to the
> internet which made me realize that it was my wireless card with the
> problem.
>
> Device manager showed no problems, its a broadcom 802.11 multiband
> network adapter, which in the properties said it was working properly. I
> disabled & enabled = nothing. I updated driver = nothing. I uninstalled
> and reinstalled, then had to update driver through Device manager cuz
> adapter was not found (had ! next to it), now it shows different adapter
> (dell wireless 1490 dual band wlan mini-card). Connection is disabled
> and will not enable. Installed drivers from both the dell driver disc &
> dell website. Still will not enable.
>
> The wifi switch in ON, but I notice that the wifi light is not. Think
> my card is shot?
>

> --
> King Rooster

King Rooster

Re: Network & Sharing Center not showing anything

I did all that and restarted. Vista found the correct driver for my
wireless, but I am still having the same issues. When I try to
enable/repair/diagnose I get a pop up saying something like
broadcom.....is having problem with its hardware or device driver.
So I think that the card itself just went bad over night.

--
King Rooster
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Network & Sharing Center not showing anything
Hi
Yeah, at this point bad card should be considered. You should try another
card to make sure.
If you desktop has a USB card disable the Laptop card and try to install the
USB.