Need Help Mapping Drive

John Lane

Need Help Mapping Drive
Running Vista, I have made a VPN connection to a remote PC over the Internet.
I can then use Remote Desktop Connection and take control of the PC. However
what I want to do is map it as a Network Drive, but the folders are not
visible in File Explorer. I have turned on Network Discovery in the firewall,
but still nothing. What do I do to get it to work? Thanks.
John Lane

RE: Need Help Mapping Drive
I forgot to include that when I do Map Network Drive, I click "Connect Using
Different Name", and key in id and pw of remote PC, but it does not find the
folders.

"John Lane" wrote:

> Running Vista, I have made a VPN connection to a remote PC over the Internet.
> I can then use Remote Desktop Connection and take control of the PC. However
> what I want to do is map it as a Network Drive, but the folders are not
> visible in File Explorer. I have turned on Network Discovery in the firewall,
> but still nothing. What do I do to get it to work? Thanks.

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Need Help Mapping Drive
It could be the name resolution issue. Can you ping the remote computer by
IP? If Yes, you may try to map the shared folder using IP. Or this search
result may help.

a.. Name resolution on VPN
Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server doesn't
setup correctly or the VPN client can't receive the VPN DNS and WINS
settings, ...
www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar

a.. VPN name resolution and browsing
Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to
the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other
computers and ...
www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"John Lane" <JohnLane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista, I have made a VPN connection to a remote PC over the
> Internet.
> I can then use Remote Desktop Connection and take control of the PC.
> However
> what I want to do is map it as a Network Drive, but the folders are not
> visible in File Explorer. I have turned on Network Discovery in the
> firewall,
> but still nothing. What do I do to get it to work? Thanks.

John Lane

Re: Need Help Mapping Drive
Oppps! Helps when I type in the path name correctly (Ie., two preceding
slashes)!