BEFSR41 v 2.1 and Vista: dns problem?

bgr5722

BEFSR41 v 2.1 and Vista: dns problem?
I know alot of questions and answers have been circulating about the Linksys
BEFSR41's combatibility with Vista, but I can't find one that quite matches
my problem.

I have two computers on my network: an old one running Windows ME and a
recently purchased one running Windows Vista. I am having no problem
connecting to the network and to the internet on the ME, but a big problem
with the Vista.

Unlike most cases I've read, my Vista computer DOES connect to the
network--it just doesn't connect to the internet. Everything is set like it
would be on Windows XP: I've set it to obtain IP addresses automatically.
I've also turned Windows Firewall off thinking that might cause the conflict,
but I still can't connect.

I know Linksys's official line is that this router isn't compatible with
Vista, but I've also read in many forums that this isn't true because routers
operate independently of computer operating systems (or, at least, that's how
I understood it).

I used the discussion boards on the Linksys website and was given these
suggestions:

--To ping the yahoo server to see if I got a reply. I did, and assume that
means I am connected to the internet. Also, after doing this the network and
sharing center on Vista said I was connected to the internet instead of just
the local network; however, I still couldn't pull up anything but error
messages in a browser.
--Assuming the replies to the ping meant I was connected, I was told to set
a static dns because the problem sounded like a dns prioblem.
--This didn't work, so I was told to flush the dns cache. I did, but I had
no results.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jeffrey Giampetro

Re: BEFSR41 v 2.1 and Vista: dns problem?
I Had the same Router I checked on the hardware compatiblity list the 4.0
version is compatible but anything below will not work with vista
"bgr5722" <bgr5722@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsFB3F216-C15A-4D4B-BAA3-FCE48CDDAD37@microsoft.com...
>I know alot of questions and answers have been circulating about the
>Linksys
> BEFSR41's combatibility with Vista, but I can't find one that quite
> matches
> my problem.
>

> I have two computers on my network: an old one running Windows ME and a
> recently purchased one running Windows Vista. I am having no problem
> connecting to the network and to the internet on the ME, but a big problem
> with the Vista.
>
> Unlike most cases I've read, my Vista computer DOES connect to the
> network--it just doesn't connect to the internet. Everything is set like
> it
> would be on Windows XP: I've set it to obtain IP addresses automatically.
> I've also turned Windows Firewall off thinking that might cause the
> conflict,
> but I still can't connect.
>
> I know Linksys's official line is that this router isn't compatible with
> Vista, but I've also read in many forums that this isn't true because
> routers
> operate independently of computer operating systems (or, at least, that's
> how
> I understood it).
>
> I used the discussion boards on the Linksys website and was given these
> suggestions:
>
> --To ping the yahoo server to see if I got a reply. I did, and assume that
> means I am connected to the internet. Also, after doing this the network
> and
> sharing center on Vista said I was connected to the internet instead of
> just
> the local network; however, I still couldn't pull up anything but error
> messages in a browser.
> --Assuming the replies to the ping meant I was connected, I was told to
> set
> a static dns because the problem sounded like a dns prioblem.
> --This didn't work, so I was told to flush the dns cache. I did, but I had
> no results.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Re: BEFSR41 v 2.1 and Vista: dns problem?
The router only cares about the computer's NIC it's working with. Being able
to ping Yahoo means you're on the Internet but without name resolution. Fix
your DNS situation... that's all that matters.

"Jeffrey Giampetro" <Jeff_giampetro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I Had the same Router I checked on the hardware compatiblity list the 4.0
> version is compatible but anything below will not work with vista
> "bgr5722" <bgr5722@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsFB3F216-C15A-4D4B-BAA3-FCE48CDDAD37@microsoft.com...
> >I know alot of questions and answers have been circulating about the
> >Linksys
> > BEFSR41's combatibility with Vista, but I can't find one that quite
> > matches
> > my problem.
> >

> > I have two computers on my network: an old one running Windows ME and a
> > recently purchased one running Windows Vista. I am having no problem
> > connecting to the network and to the internet on the ME, but a big

problem
> > with the Vista.
> >
> > Unlike most cases I've read, my Vista computer DOES connect to the
> > network--it just doesn't connect to the internet. Everything is set like
> > it
> > would be on Windows XP: I've set it to obtain IP addresses

automatically.
> > I've also turned Windows Firewall off thinking that might cause the
> > conflict,
> > but I still can't connect.
> >
> > I know Linksys's official line is that this router isn't compatible with
> > Vista, but I've also read in many forums that this isn't true because
> > routers
> > operate independently of computer operating systems (or, at least,

that's
> > how
> > I understood it).
> >
> > I used the discussion boards on the Linksys website and was given these
> > suggestions:
> >
> > --To ping the yahoo server to see if I got a reply. I did, and assume

that
> > means I am connected to the internet. Also, after doing this the network
> > and
> > sharing center on Vista said I was connected to the internet instead of
> > just
> > the local network; however, I still couldn't pull up anything but error
> > messages in a browser.
> > --Assuming the replies to the ping meant I was connected, I was told to
> > set
> > a static dns because the problem sounded like a dns prioblem.
> > --This didn't work, so I was told to flush the dns cache. I did, but I

had
> > no results.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.

bgr5722

Re: BEFSR41 v 2.1 and Vista: dns problem?
Thank you, but what I'm unsure about is just how to fix my DNS problem. Do
you have any suggestions on how I might do that?

"John" wrote:

> The router only cares about the computer's NIC it's working with. Being able
> to ping Yahoo means you're on the Internet but without name resolution. Fix
> your DNS situation... that's all that matters.
>
> "Jeffrey Giampetro" <Jeff_giampetro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I Had the same Router I checked on the hardware compatiblity list the 4.0
> > version is compatible but anything below will not work with vista
> > "bgr5722" <bgr5722@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > newsFB3F216-C15A-4D4B-BAA3-FCE48CDDAD37@microsoft.com...
> > >I know alot of questions and answers have been circulating about the
> > >Linksys
> > > BEFSR41's combatibility with Vista, but I can't find one that quite
> > > matches
> > > my problem.
> > >

> > > I have two computers on my network: an old one running Windows ME and a
> > > recently purchased one running Windows Vista. I am having no problem
> > > connecting to the network and to the internet on the ME, but a big

> problem
> > > with the Vista.
> > >
> > > Unlike most cases I've read, my Vista computer DOES connect to the
> > > network--it just doesn't connect to the internet. Everything is set like
> > > it
> > > would be on Windows XP: I've set it to obtain IP addresses

> automatically.
> > > I've also turned Windows Firewall off thinking that might cause the
> > > conflict,
> > > but I still can't connect.
> > >
> > > I know Linksys's official line is that this router isn't compatible with
> > > Vista, but I've also read in many forums that this isn't true because
> > > routers
> > > operate independently of computer operating systems (or, at least,

> that's
> > > how
> > > I understood it).
> > >
> > > I used the discussion boards on the Linksys website and was given these
> > > suggestions:
> > >
> > > --To ping the yahoo server to see if I got a reply. I did, and assume

> that
> > > means I am connected to the internet. Also, after doing this the network
> > > and
> > > sharing center on Vista said I was connected to the internet instead of
> > > just
> > > the local network; however, I still couldn't pull up anything but error
> > > messages in a browser.
> > > --Assuming the replies to the ping meant I was connected, I was told to
> > > set
> > > a static dns because the problem sounded like a dns prioblem.
> > > --This didn't work, so I was told to flush the dns cache. I did, but I

> had
> > > no results.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help.

To Old To . . .

Re: BEFSR41 v 2.1 and Vista: dns problem?
I have a number of offices running the same router with Vista and no problems.
First go to the nic properties and uncheck tcp/ip v6

If you are getting a ping reply from yahoo then your dns is ok.
This should work now