Wireless Network Reconnection

Rob

Wireless Network Reconnection
I have an issue with Vista reconnecting to wireless networks.

There are several wireless networks that I use both at work and at home.
None of these networks broadcasts their SSID.
I have set up each of these networks manually in my network center. When I
set them up, I selected the box to reconnect when that network is detected
again.
My laptop never connects to these networks automatically. I have to go
through the manual adding process and define both the SSID and the key in
order to connect again.

I have already read through everything at this link:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...21033.mspx#EDF

None of it applies to my situation.

Any ideas on how to get Vista to reconnect automatically?
Joe Guidera

Re: Wireless Network Reconnection
When you setup the connections did you also check the box that indicates to
connect to the network even if not broadcasting?

Joe

"Rob" <rmfalconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an issue with Vista reconnecting to wireless networks.
>
> There are several wireless networks that I use both at work and at home.
> None of these networks broadcasts their SSID.
> I have set up each of these networks manually in my network center. When I
> set them up, I selected the box to reconnect when that network is detected
> again.
> My laptop never connects to these networks automatically. I have to go
> through the manual adding process and define both the SSID and the key in
> order to connect again.
>
> I have already read through everything at this link:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...21033.mspx#EDF
>
> None of it applies to my situation.
>
> Any ideas on how to get Vista to reconnect automatically?

Rob

Re: Wireless Network Reconnection
Yes, I select that box each time.

"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> When you setup the connections did you also check the box that indicates to
> connect to the network even if not broadcasting?
>
> Joe
>
> "Rob" <rmfalconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an issue with Vista reconnecting to wireless networks.
> >
> > There are several wireless networks that I use both at work and at home.
> > None of these networks broadcasts their SSID.
> > I have set up each of these networks manually in my network center. When I
> > set them up, I selected the box to reconnect when that network is detected
> > again.
> > My laptop never connects to these networks automatically. I have to go
> > through the manual adding process and define both the SSID and the key in
> > order to connect again.
> >
> > I have already read through everything at this link:
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...21033.mspx#EDF
> >
> > None of it applies to my situation.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get Vista to reconnect automatically?

Joe Guidera

Re: Wireless Network Reconnection
I had a similar problem and found that it was hit and miss (though the
setting I indicated is supposed to resolve it). I ended up enabling the
SSID broadcast on mine. Guess we're all going to have to wait for SP1 to
address.