Sharing, Vista & XP Pro

Jerry West

Sharing, Vista & XP Pro
I have a local, home network. All of my computers but one is running Vista.
The rest are XP Pro. All are setup to login with a username and password at
boot up. As well, all resources shared on the network are setup to use a
username & password for access as well. All of my XP computers share their
drives. I log onto all computers using the same credentials --the same
credentials used to access the shared resources. When I view these resources
in Vista I can sure see them, no problem there. I see all the computers on
my network as well as every resource shared by them. But when I try to
access them I get an error message stating:

"Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
the your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
Diagnose ."

After clicking Diagnose I am told:

"XXX is available but the user account you are logged on with was denied
access."

This makes no sense to me as the user account I am logged in with is exactly
the same as the one that is allowed access to the shared resource.

I have no trouble accessing the resources on the network from any of the XP
machines which, of course, are all using the same access credentials. What
could be wrong?

JW

Jerry West

Re: Sharing, Vista & XP Pro
I should mention that as a test I gave one of the resources permissions for
the "Everyone" group. This allowed me, from the Vista machine, to now
actually click on the resource and see what folders were beneath the main
drive. This was not possible before. However, it still does not give me
access. Now, when I click on one of those drives it shows beneath the root
of the shared resource, it gives me this new error message:

xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx.xxx (the path to the file I tried clicking upon)

"The above file name is invalid. Please choose another file name or mapped
network drive location for the file."

Clearly the drive name, mapped drive, nor the location are invalid. What
could possibly be wrong here?

JW

"Jerry West" <jw@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ZLSdneeTn88gBvrWnZ2dnUVZ_qGdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>I have a local, home network. All of my computers but one is running Vista.
>The rest are XP Pro. All are setup to login with a username and password at
>boot up. As well, all resources shared on the network are setup to use a
>username & password for access as well. All of my XP computers share their
>drives. I log onto all computers using the same credentials --the same
>credentials used to access the shared resources. When I view these
>resources in Vista I can sure see them, no problem there. I see all the
>computers on my network as well as every resource shared by them. But when
>I try to access them I get an error message stating:
>
> "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
> the your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
> Diagnose ."
>
> After clicking Diagnose I am told:
>
> "XXX is available but the user account you are logged on with was denied
> access."
>
> This makes no sense to me as the user account I am logged in with is
> exactly the same as the one that is allowed access to the shared resource.
>
> I have no trouble accessing the resources on the network from any of the
> XP machines which, of course, are all using the same access credentials.
> What could be wrong?
>
> JW

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Sharing, Vista & XP Pro
Hi
Firewall instructions.
General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trustet
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).