CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003

Jeff Bowman [293288]

CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
Ok... Guys,

I have server machines hooked up to a win 2003 server. Including XP
machines. When I try to connect Vista to the domain, I get a DNS error.

So, I took an XP machine that was not connect toconnected to the domain, and
it connected fine!

Do you have to do anything special with Vista (out-of-box) to get it to
connect to a domain!

JRB Associates

Re: CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
Jeff,

The quick answer is no, nothing special is required. I have been connecting
Vista Business and Ultimate to a Windows 2003 r2 domain without difficulty.
DNS has never been an issue. You may want to look at the server
configuration.

John Baker

Erik

"JRB Associates" wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> The quick answer is no, nothing special is required. I have been connecting
> Vista Business and Ultimate to a Windows 2003 r2 domain without difficulty.
> DNS has never been an issue. You may want to look at the server
> configuration.
>
> John Baker
>

> John,

Perhaps the quick answer is that you are running Vista Business & Ultimate.
I have Vista Premium and can not get it to run

Erik
JRB Associates

Re: CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
Erik,

The original post did not indicate which version of Vista. Home Basic and
Home premium cannot be joined to a domain. Domain joining requires Business,
Ultimate or Enterprise.

John Baker

Jeff Bowman [293288]

Re: CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
I'm running Ultimate version of Vista.

I can hook up every machine in the network to the domain, except this Vista
machine (only one on the network). I change it from a workgrop
(dartingaround) to the domain (dartingaround). Then I get a login screen
(for computer and domain). I type in the login name and the password
(Administrator) on the active directory... about 30 sec later, I get the DNS
error.

Do the same on an XP machine. It connects to the domain right away!

"JRB Associates" <info@jrb-assoc.com> wrote in message
> Jeff,
>
> The quick answer is no, nothing special is required. I have been
> connecting Vista Business and Ultimate to a Windows 2003 r2 domain without
> difficulty. DNS has never been an issue. You may want to look at the
> server configuration.
>
> John Baker

Dan R

Re: CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
I seem to be having the same exact issue. We are running Windows 2003 Server
R2 and all the pcs are connected to the Server are Windows XP machines. We
just bought a laptop that is loaded with Windows Vista Business and whenever
I try to join to the domain it gives me an error stating:

"An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain could not be contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly."

I tried a Windows XP PC and that worked fine without any issues. Another
thing that I tried on the Windows Vista machine is to ping our server and
they are communicating. It just won't connect to the domain. Any help would
be great on this issue.

"Jeff Bowman [293288]" wrote:

> I'm running Ultimate version of Vista.
>
> I can hook up every machine in the network to the domain, except this Vista
> machine (only one on the network). I change it from a workgrop
> (dartingaround) to the domain (dartingaround). Then I get a login screen
> (for computer and domain). I type in the login name and the password
> (Administrator) on the active directory... about 30 sec later, I get the DNS
> error.
>
> Do the same on an XP machine. It connects to the domain right away!
>
> "JRB Associates" <info@jrb-assoc.com> wrote in message
> > Jeff,
> >
> > The quick answer is no, nothing special is required. I have been
> > connecting Vista Business and Ultimate to a Windows 2003 r2 domain without
> > difficulty. DNS has never been an issue. You may want to look at the
> > server configuration.
> >
> > John Baker

Boyd Tucker

Re: CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
There's is definitely issues with Vista in my mind. I have a new notebook
with Vista loaded and cannot get it on a domain. I've tried multiple
servers/domain and its always the same - looking for credentials and the
properties page hangs. I've taken another older laptop and loaded Vista
Business and it joins all domains, even by VPN. So its not the servers, dns,
firewalls, etc. the differenc bwteeen these 2 PCs is that one came with
Vista (OEM) loaded (and doesn't join) and one was loaded from a DVD (and does
join). So what could have happened differently in the Vista setups????

"JRB Associates" wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> The quick answer is no, nothing special is required. I have been connecting
> Vista Business and Ultimate to a Windows 2003 r2 domain without difficulty.
> DNS has never been an issue. You may want to look at the server
> configuration.
>
> John Baker

Boyd Tucker

RE: CONNECTING VISTA TO WINSERV2003
Here's a copy of things to try:
In Systems Properties, there are 2 options: Change and Network ID. The
latter is a wizard approach and I have found that to work when the Change
(manual) doesn't.

Another technique if you're doing a join to a domain over VPN to first make
the PC part of a workgroup that is the same as the domain name (netbois not
FQDN)

--Boyd