Networking XP and Vista

Colter

Networking XP and Vista
I had two XP computers running through a router. They shared files and
printers.
I replaced one of the Xp computers with another computer loaded with Vista.
I am having difficulties sharing files and printers. I cant get the Vista
computer to see the XP computer and printer. Workgroup names are the same.
Directories are shared. Printer shows being shared. Do I need to do anything
with the router so the Vista computer can see the other? Is there anything
that I missed or am not thinking about. Sorry I am still a novice at
networking.
Chuck

Re: Networking XP and Vista
On Wed, 9 May 2007 12:06:00 -0700, Colter <Colter@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I had two XP computers running through a router. They shared files and
>printers.
>I replaced one of the Xp computers with another computer loaded with Vista.
>I am having difficulties sharing files and printers. I cant get the Vista
>computer to see the XP computer and printer. Workgroup names are the same.
>Directories are shared. Printer shows being shared. Do I need to do anything
>with the router so the Vista computer can see the other? Is there anything
>that I missed or am not thinking about. Sorry I am still a novice at
>networking.

Getting the two computers to "see" each other is simply a matter of getting
Server Message Blocks to pass between the two. SMBs can be blocked by personal
firewalls, by some NAT routers, and by some other security components.
* On the Vista computer, set the Network Location Type to "Private". This
requires that your computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT
router, and opens the personal firewall for SMBs.

Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
* Put all computers in the same workgroup.
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.

For details, see my tutorial.

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Erik

Re: Networking XP and Vista

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2007 12:06:00 -0700, Colter <Colter@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I had two XP computers running through a router. They shared files and
> >printers.
> >I replaced one of the Xp computers with another computer loaded with Vista.
> >I am having difficulties sharing files and printers. I cant get the Vista
> >computer to see the XP computer and printer. Workgroup names are the same.
> >Directories are shared. Printer shows being shared. Do I need to do anything
> >with the router so the Vista computer can see the other? Is there anything
> >that I missed or am not thinking about. Sorry I am still a novice at
> >networking.

> Getting the two computers to "see" each other is simply a matter of getting
> Server Message Blocks to pass between the two. SMBs can be blocked by personal
> firewalls, by some NAT routers, and by some other security components.
> * On the Vista computer, set the Network Location Type to "Private". This
> requires that your computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT
> router, and opens the personal firewall for SMBs.
>
> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
> You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
>
> For details, see my tutorial.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

I have 3 XP pro computers and a server (running Windows Server 2003)
networked through a wired/wireless router. I added a new machine with Vista
Premium.
I can get to the internet, but I can not "see" any of the other machines nor
can I access them through their IP addresses.
At this point, I am not very happy with Vista
Colter

Re: Networking XP and Vista
Erik,
I did forget to mention that my Vista computer does have connectivity to the
internet, the same scenario as you. I will try Chucks advise and see if it
works.

On Wed, 9 May 2007 14:48:02 -0700, Erik <Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 May 2007 12:06:00 -0700, Colter <Colter@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I had two XP computers running through a router. They shared files and
>> >printers.
>> >I replaced one of the Xp computers with another computer loaded with Vista.
>> >I am having difficulties sharing files and printers. I cant get the Vista
>> >computer to see the XP computer and printer. Workgroup names are the same.
>> >Directories are shared. Printer shows being shared. Do I need to do anything
>> >with the router so the Vista computer can see the other? Is there anything
>> >that I missed or am not thinking about. Sorry I am still a novice at
>> >networking.

>> Getting the two computers to "see" each other is simply a matter of getting
>> Server Message Blocks to pass between the two. SMBs can be blocked by personal
>> firewalls, by some NAT routers, and by some other security components.
>> * On the Vista computer, set the Network Location Type to "Private". This
>> requires that your computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT
>> router, and opens the personal firewall for SMBs.
>>
>> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
>> You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
>> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
>> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
>> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
>> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
>>
>> For details, see my tutorial.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

>I have 3 XP pro computers and a server (running Windows Server 2003)
>networked through a wired/wireless router. I added a new machine with Vista
>Premium.
>I can get to the internet, but I can not "see" any of the other machines nor
>can I access them through their IP addresses.
>At this point, I am not very happy with Vista

Erik,

Computers are like this. Why not fix the problem, instead of being unhappy?

Actually, I thought that we solved your problem. Or am I mistaken?

You have an SMB problem. Look at the NetBT setting, and at your personal
firewalls.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

What error do you get when you cannot access them thru IP addresses? Can you in
fact access them by NAME but not by IP address?

Look at "browstat status" from each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):