Lost Vista to Vista Visibility of router Switchout

Bond17803

Lost Vista to Vista Visibility of router Switchout

Greetings,
I have spent the day trying to work through this issue, but could use
some help. I had a Vista64 host seeing a Vista32 host, working fine,
sharing a printer and basically thrilled on how well Vista handled this
networking (hardwire through the 4 port switch on the Linksys modem).
Unfortunately, I needed to upgrade the wireless modem to a (WNDR3700:
NetGear). After the swithout and installation, all the PC's can see
the internet, but none can see each other? I also can not seem to
ping the ip4 address of each computer, from the other. All the basics
have been covered, (Same WORKGROUP, private network, no password, all
other network options set to yes). After the router switch, the Vista
64 computer does refer to the local network at Network 3, and the Vista
32 compter as Network 2. I tried to rename the network to both
"Network 2", but this did not seem to help.
I am a pseudo computer literate, but a novice on Network issues. Any
help would be appreciated. (I have the ipconfig \all output from both
computers as attachments). Thanks in advance,
Steve

|Filename: Vista 32 config.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18190|

Bond17803
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Lost Vista to Vista Visibility of router Switchout
Hi
After Changing the Router the IP numbers probably changed to the one used by
the New Router.
Check all the Firewall to make sure that the New IPs are in the trusted
Zone, and redo the Sharing.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Bond17803" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Greetings,
> I have spent the day trying to work through this issue, but could use
> some help. I had a Vista64 host seeing a Vista32 host, working fine,
> sharing a printer and basically thrilled on how well Vista handled this
> networking (hardwire through the 4 port switch on the Linksys modem).
> Unfortunately, I needed to upgrade the wireless modem to a (WNDR3700:
> NetGear). After the swithout and installation, all the PC's can see
> the internet, but none can see each other? I also can not seem to
> ping the ip4 address of each computer, from the other. All the basics
> have been covered, (Same WORKGROUP, private network, no password, all
> other network options set to yes). After the router switch, the Vista
> 64 computer does refer to the local network at Network 3, and the Vista
> 32 compter as Network 2. I tried to rename the network to both
> "Network 2", but this did not seem to help.
> I am a pseudo computer literate, but a novice on Network issues. Any
> help would be appreciated. (I have the ipconfig \all output from both
> computers as attachments). Thanks in advance,
> Steve

> |Filename: Vista 32 config.jpg |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18190|

> Bond17803

Bond17803

Re: Lost Vista to Vista Visibility of router Switchout

Thanks Jack,
I believe you are on the right track and that there is some IP
visibility issue at some Vista level (Firewall? Windows defender?).
I reviewed you sources and went down these paths already. I am _not_
using any other firewall product, other then what comes with VISTA. The
NetGear modem does have some basic firewall functions operating, but I
couldn't find any thing specific to excluding PC to PC communication. I
also made an attempt to input specific IP addresses on the Vista
Systems, as you mentioned below for exclusion from blocking, but I could
not identify a vista firewall option to allow me to go down this path.
I found an option that is similar to what you described in your third
party firewall description... (Windows Firewall -> change Settings ->
Exceptions -> Add port -> "Change Scope"), but the dialog box entry
forces you to enter a port number first, before it will allow you to
enter a specific TC/IP address. Not being a network guy, it may be
common knowledge that windows uses port "x", but could not identify
where I would gleen this information? Just to review for clarity:
1) All the well documented solutions from MS and others have been
attempted...
2) I have went to turning off the firewall completely on both systems
and performing a cold reboot on everything but the clock on the
microwave, with no success.
Is it possible that some internal vista registry key is stuck at some
value that is thwarting the connection? I also found a nice hidden
feature "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Settings",but this did
not seem to allow any direct entry of IP address exceptions either.

Thanks again Jack and if anyone else has seen this interesting
behaviour before and has a possible solution, I would be greatly
appreciative!

Take Care, Steve

--
Bond17803