Need network printer help

starmichael

Need network printer help
I cannot print to my network printer, I can see the computer listed and share
files just cant print. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running windows Vista Home
Pre. My printer is A dell AIO 962 and its hooked up to a Dell Inspiron 9300
running Xp home edition. I could see the computers in my network and share
files. But i couldnt print it kept saying i needed to install drivers and
would look for a driver couldnt find it and returned a error message i even
downloaded a Vista driver for printer and even hooked up the printer to my
computer just to have the computer recognise it. But to no avail. Need help
in this matter.
Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Need network printer help
What printer, and what drivers? Did you go thru the Add Printer in the
Printer Settings dialog? Tell it to look for printers on the network? I have
had minor problems - in one case I had to install the printer drivers from a
disk, tell it to print to file, then go into the Add Printers dialog and
tell it to find the printer on the network.

This should Just Work, unless your printer is pretty old...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"starmichael" <starmichael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3717223-998A-4A39-9AA5-7CDFD40D5AAD@microsoft.com...
>I cannot print to my network printer, I can see the computer listed and
>share
> files just cant print. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running windows Vista
> Pre. My printer is A dell AIO 962 and its hooked up to a Dell Inspiron
> 9300
> running Xp home edition. I could see the computers in my network and share
> files. But i couldnt print it kept saying i needed to install drivers and
> would look for a driver couldnt find it and returned a error message i
> even
> downloaded a Vista driver for printer and even hooked up the printer to my
> computer just to have the computer recognise it. But to no avail. Need
> help
> in this matter.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Need network printer help
Read through and follow the instructions in:
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"starmichael" <starmichael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3717223-998A-4A39-9AA5-7CDFD40D5AAD@microsoft.com...
>I cannot print to my network printer, I can see the computer listed and
>share
> files just cant print. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running windows Vista
> Pre. My printer is A dell AIO 962 and its hooked up to a Dell Inspiron
> 9300
> running Xp home edition. I could see the computers in my network and share
> files. But i couldnt print it kept saying i needed to install drivers and
> would look for a driver couldnt find it and returned a error message i
> even
> downloaded a Vista driver for printer and even hooked up the printer to my
> computer just to have the computer recognise it. But to no avail. Need
> help
> in this matter.

auntyem

Re: Need network printer help
I can oly add that Cari was correct. After months of frustration the
following article made it all work:
Read through and follow the instructions in:

Thanks Cari