Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F21E793E-8E79-4348-A0AE-C2DB68129652@microsoft.com...
>I have had similar problems to those listed here, but the most annoying
> problem is connectiong to the Bethesda Game Studio forum at
> http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/ I am a member of the forum and although I
> can occasionally get a connection to the main page,

> more often than not, I get a blocked page which refuses to allow me to log in.

Details? What are the exact symptoms?

> I have contacted the
> site owners and they suggested deleting temp files and cookies but this does
> not seem to solve the problem. I can use another computer in the home which
> uses XP and connect with no problem. I make sure that I sign out so that
> when I choose to connect from my machine there won't be a conflict but still
> this issue persists. Since the site owners were at a loss as to why I am
> unable to connect, I can do so with the XP machine,

> I can only assume that Vista and it's related security(?) may be the issue.

Perhaps but we don't have any details yet. If it is only a Vista problem
I would try posting on a newsgroup which specializes in Vista. E.g. there
is more likely to be awareness of differences in IE behaviour caused by Vista
in a Vista newsgroup than in here where many are still using only XP or earlier.
Cross-posting to Vista Networking since if they see the same symptom they
may be more aware of the underlying factors than just a security spe******t.

One thing that you could try I think would be to run FiddlerTool (plus RPASpy
if necessary) to see what the underlying differences are in your two cases.
E.g. you say "more often than not" which suggests that there are some details
that you need to be aware of to understand what happens when it works and
what happens differently when it doesn't.

> Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Clybella

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Networking)
> "Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have had similar problems to those listed here, but the most annoying
> > problem is connectiong to the Bethesda Game Studio forum at
> > http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/ I am a member of the forum and although I
> > can occasionally get a connection to the main page,

> > more often than not, I get a blocked page which refuses to allow me to log in.

> Details? What are the exact symptoms?

When opening the page either from my Favorites or an email link, instead of
getting the home page with discussion options, I get a "blocked page" that
reads, " Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature,
or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help
files for more information.

The error returned was:
Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board"

There is a login box beneath, and once or twice I have attempted to enter
with a random login name and password and then use mine and have been able to
get through. Usually though, it just keeps coming back with the same
problem.

I had the page bookmarked and was not able to get in from that, and then
when I was able to sign in from my husband's machine using XP, I would send a
link to my own email. It is from this "internal" link, that is not the first
page, but within the forum questions and once or twice I was able to get in.
I thought maybe I had left myself signed in from his machine and therefore
was blocking my entry from my machine, but when going back to check that, I
was definately logged out.

> > I have contacted the
> > site owners and they suggested deleting temp files and cookies but this does
> > not seem to solve the problem. I can use another computer in the home which
> > uses XP and connect with no problem. I make sure that I sign out so that
> > when I choose to connect from my machine there won't be a conflict but still
> > this issue persists. Since the site owners were at a loss as to why I am
> > unable to connect, I can do so with the XP machine,

The response from Bethesda was "It sounds like you need to clear your
browsers cookies and cache. If that doesn't work try using a different
browser. If that still doesn't work let us know.

Lindsay Westcott
Marketing Artist
Bethesda Softworks"

I did this and reported back that I was still not able to get in.

> > I can only assume that Vista and it's related security(?) may be the issue.

> Perhaps but we don't have any details yet. If it is only a Vista problem
> I would try posting on a newsgroup which specializes in Vista. E.g. there
> is more likely to be awareness of differences in IE behaviour caused by Vista
> in a Vista newsgroup than in here where many are still using only XP or earlier.
> Cross-posting to Vista Networking since if they see the same symptom they
> may be more aware of the underlying factors than just a security spe******t.

I thought since I was in the Windows Vista Community, (at least that is what
it says on my page) that I was in the right place for Vista questions. How
would I know if I was in the right place then? Where is this cross-post?

> One thing that you could try I think would be to run FiddlerTool (plus RPASpy
> if necessary) to see what the underlying differences are in your two cases.
> E.g. you say "more often than not" which suggests that there are some details
> that you need to be aware of to understand what happens when it works and
> what happens differently when it doesn't.

I saw that mentioned in another article and I downloaded the Fiddler2 Tool
but am still trying to figure out how to use it, and then to interpret what I
am getting. I have not yet downloaded the RPASpy.

> > Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for trying to help. I'm sure the explanation is simple, but
getting to that point might not be.....

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Gistcheckin

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
Yesterday, I received a 404 error - so java check

See this forum response re: blocked ip addresses

http://forum.forumer.com/showthread.php?t=10951
--
Gistcheckin

"Clybella" wrote:

> [...]

> it says on my page) that I was in the right place for Vista questions. How
> would I know if I was in the right place then? Where is this cross-post?
> >
> > One thing that you could try I think would be to run FiddlerTool (plus RPASpy
> > if necessary) to see what the underlying differences are in your two cases.
> > E.g. you say "more often than not" which suggests that there are some details
> > that you need to be aware of to understand what happens when it works and
> > what happens differently when it doesn't.

> I saw that mentioned in another article and I downloaded the Fiddler2 Tool
> but am still trying to figure out how to use it, and then to interpret what I
> am getting. I have not yet downloaded the RPASpy.
> >

> > > Any help would be
> > > greatly appreciated.
> > >

> Thanks so much for trying to help. I'm sure the explanation is simple, but

Clybella

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
Read the forumer thread, but I don't know how to unblock an IP address. Do I
do this from my own sytem or is this something I do at the forum?

"Gistcheckin" wrote:

> [...]

> > I thought since I was in the Windows Vista Community, (at least that is what
> > it says on my page) that I was in the right place for Vista questions. How
> > would I know if I was in the right place then? Where is this cross-post?
> > >
> > > One thing that you could try I think would be to run FiddlerTool (plus RPASpy
> > > if necessary) to see what the underlying differences are in your two cases.
> > > E.g. you say "more often than not" which suggests that there are some details
> > > that you need to be aware of to understand what happens when it works and
> > > what happens differently when it doesn't.

> > I saw that mentioned in another article and I downloaded the Fiddler2 Tool
> > but am still trying to figure out how to use it, and then to interpret what I
> > am getting. I have not yet downloaded the RPASpy.

> > Thanks so much for trying to help. I'm sure the explanation is simple, but

Robert Aldwinckle

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> (cross-post added to Vista Networking)
>> "Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have had similar problems to those listed here, but the most annoying
>> > problem is connectiong to the Bethesda Game Studio forum at
>> > http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/ I am a member of the forum and although I
>> > can occasionally get a connection to the main page,

>> > more often than not, I get a blocked page which refuses to allow me to log in.

>> Details? What are the exact symptoms?

> When opening the page either from my Favorites or an email link, instead of
> getting the home page with discussion options, I get a "blocked page" that
> reads, " Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature,
> or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help
> files for more information.

So, did you try that? Yes, you did. Good. They should be able to help you best
or perhaps there is a forum for that site as well? If other Vista users are using
it and having the same problem you could collaborate with them there.

> The error returned was:
> Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board"
>
> There is a login box beneath, and once or twice I have attempted to enter
> with a random login name and password and then use mine and have been able to
> get through. Usually though, it just keeps coming back with the same
> problem.

I would be careful about doing that. The site might end up blocking
your IP address for a suspected hacking attempt. Do you always
get the same IP address when you connect to the Internet?

> I had the page bookmarked and was not able to get in from that, and then
> when I was able to sign in from my husband's machine using XP, I would send a
> link to my own email. It is from this "internal" link, that is not the first
> page, but within the forum questions and once or twice I was able to get in.
> I thought maybe I had left myself signed in from his machine and therefore
> was blocking my entry from my machine, but when going back to check that, I
> was definately logged out.

Then it could be a symptom of a Cookies issue. E.g. some sites are
constructed so they only expect entry from the home page where
they give you a Cookie. If you try to go through the back door
without presenting the Cookie or without a current enough Cookie
you could be getting messages warning you about that. In fact,
some sites try to be "helpful" and guess an explanation for the symptom
so instead of getting a clear statement of what is wrong you get
a possibly erroneous inference about what might have caused
what is wrong. E.g. that's often what the user is really being told
when they see messages about their browser not supporting
Cookies, etc.

>> > I have contacted the
>> > site owners and they suggested deleting temp files and cookies but this does
>> > not seem to solve the problem. I can use another computer in the home which
>> > uses XP and connect with no problem. I make sure that I sign out so that
>> > when I choose to connect from my machine there won't be a conflict but still
>> > this issue persists. Since the site owners were at a loss as to why I am
>> > unable to connect, I can do so with the XP machine,

> The response from Bethesda was "It sounds like you need to clear your
> browsers cookies and cache. If that doesn't work try using a different
> browser. If that still doesn't work let us know.

Great. They will be the ones that will understand the symptoms best.

> Lindsay Westcott
> Marketing Artist
> Bethesda Softworks"
>
> I did this and reported back that I was still not able to get in.
>

>> > I can only assume that Vista and it's related security(?) may be the issue.

>> Perhaps but we don't have any details yet. If it is only a Vista problem
>> I would try posting on a newsgroup which specializes in Vista. E.g. there
>> is more likely to be awareness of differences in IE behaviour caused by Vista
>> in a Vista newsgroup than in here where many are still using only XP or earlier.
>> Cross-posting to Vista Networking since if they see the same symptom they
>> may be more aware of the underlying factors than just a security spe******t.

> I thought since I was in the Windows Vista Community, (at least that is what
> it says on my page) that I was in the right place for Vista questions. How
> would I know if I was in the right place then?

You wouldn't. I complained about this when it was in beta but nothing changed.
The menu had 4 newsgroups listed at the bottom of the "Vista communities"
which in fact are common newsgroups and not Vista-specific ones.
At the very least I think those ones should be labeled "common newsgroups"
to warn Vista posters that responders may not be aware of Vista quirks
and differences yet.

> Where is this cross-post?

You're using it! Look at the header of this message and you will see
two newsgroup names listed. You can click on the other one and thus
enter the other newsgroup from this thread.

Alternatively use your spiffy new Vista newsreader (aka Windows Mail)
and use the newsgroups with NNTP:

E.g. copy that to your Address bar and it should open that newsgroup
in WM. I think you will find that posting with it is easier.
However, you may have to do some personalizing first.
Searching and reading (especially switching between newsgroups)
might not seem as convenient; so there are uses for both applications.

>> One thing that you could try I think would be to run FiddlerTool (plus RPASpy
>> if necessary) to see what the underlying differences are in your two cases.
>> E.g. you say "more often than not" which suggests that there are some details
>> that you need to be aware of to understand what happens when it works and
>> what happens differently when it doesn't.

> I saw that mentioned in another article and I downloaded the Fiddler2 Tool
> but am still trying to figure out how to use it, and then to interpret what I
> am getting. I have not yet downloaded the RPASpy.
>>

>> > Any help would be
>> > greatly appreciated.
>> >

> Thanks so much for trying to help. I'm sure the explanation is simple, but
> getting to that point might not be.....

Besides Cookies another browser difference is User-Agent.
Ask the site support if they think the Vista IE7 User-Agent
could be a problem. You could spoof a different User-Agent
e.g. MSIE 6.0 if necessary. Ref. KB923196

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

Clybella

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
Well Robert, you have certainly tried to help me. I attempted the "spoof"
and it didn't work, but I sent the note off to Bethesda anyway, and asked
them if there maybe was a cookie I had inadvertently removed with Spybot.

I thank you for reminding me of accessing the newsgroups from my email.
It's been a long time since I've done that, and it is much easier to follow
up from there. I can keep them subscribed and follow the threads as there is
always something interesting in them.

I'll continue to access that web site from my husbands machine (XP with IE7
and the same anti-virus etc.) until I figure it out.

My son is learning C++ from some books I found recently and he is going to
help me figure out how to use the Fiddler. So even if I don't get in to that
site for awhile, I'll learn something new.

Again, thanks,

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]

> >> if necessary) to see what the underlying differences are in your two cases.
> >> E.g. you say "more often than not" which suggests that there are some details
> >> that you need to be aware of to understand what happens when it works and
> >> what happens differently when it doesn't.

> > I saw that mentioned in another article and I downloaded the Fiddler2 Tool
> > but am still trying to figure out how to use it, and then to interpret what I
> > am getting. I have not yet downloaded the RPASpy.

> > Thanks so much for trying to help. I'm sure the explanation is simple, but
> > getting to that point might not be.....

> Besides Cookies another browser difference is User-Agent.
> Ask the site support if they think the Vista IE7 User-Agent
> could be a problem. You could spoof a different User-Agent
> e.g. MSIE 6.0 if necessary. Ref. KB923196

Kim [MS]

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
Clybella,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. What does Vista tell you the problem
is when, from within IE, you select (from Bethesda website), Tools.Diagnose
Connection Problems...?

"Clybella" wrote:

> [...]

> > E.g. copy that to your Address bar and it should open that newsgroup
> > in WM. I think you will find that posting with it is easier.
> > However, you may have to do some personalizing first.
> > Searching and reading (especially switching between newsgroups)
> > might not seem as convenient; so there are uses for both applications.

> > > I saw that mentioned in another article and I downloaded the Fiddler2 Tool
> > > but am still trying to figure out how to use it, and then to interpret what I
> > > am getting. I have not yet downloaded the RPASpy.

> > > Thanks so much for trying to help. I'm sure the explanation is simple, but
> > > getting to that point might not be.....

> > Besides Cookies another browser difference is User-Agent.
> > Ask the site support if they think the Vista IE7 User-Agent
> > could be a problem. You could spoof a different User-Agent
> > e.g. MSIE 6.0 if necessary. Ref. KB923196

Clybella

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
Unfortunately the "diagnose connection problems" is greyed out. It is a very
strange problem and still not fixed.

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> [...]
> > > and differences yet.

> > > You're using it! Look at the header of this message and you will see
> > > two newsgroup names listed. You can click on the other one and thus
> > > enter the other newsgroup from this thread.
> > >
> > > Alternatively use your spiffy new Vista newsreader (aka Windows Mail)
> > > and use the newsgroups with NNTP:

> > > E.g. copy that to your Address bar and it should open that newsgroup
> > > in WM. I think you will find that posting with it is easier.
> > > However, you may have to do some personalizing first.
> > > Searching and reading (especially switching between newsgroups)
> > > might not seem as convenient; so there are uses for both applications.

> > > Besides Cookies another browser difference is User-Agent.
> > > Ask the site support if they think the Vista IE7 User-Agent
> > > could be a problem. You could spoof a different User-Agent
> > > e.g. MSIE 6.0 if necessary. Ref. KB923196

Kim [MS]

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
Clybella,

Are you able to get to other websites -- or is this the only site you're
having trouble with? Also, can you please post the results of typing
ipconfig \all at the command line?

"Clybella" wrote:

> Unfortunately the "diagnose connection problems" is greyed out. It is a very
> strange problem and still not fixed.
>

> "Kim [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Clybella,
> >
> > I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. What does Vista tell you the problem
> > is when, from within IE, you select (from Bethesda website), Tools.Diagnose
> > Connection Problems...?
> >

> > "Clybella" wrote:
> >
> > > Well Robert, you have certainly tried to help me. I attempted the "spoof"
> > > and it didn't work, but I sent the note off to Bethesda anyway, and asked
> > > them if there maybe was a cookie I had inadvertently removed with Spybot.
> > >
> > > I thank you for reminding me of accessing the newsgroups from my email.
> > > It's been a long time since I've done that, and it is much easier to follow
> > > up from there. I can keep them subscribed and follow the threads as there is
> > > always something interesting in them.
> > >
> > > I'll continue to access that web site from my husbands machine (XP with IE7
> > > and the same anti-virus etc.) until I figure it out.
> > >
> > > My son is learning C++ from some books I found recently and he is going to
> > > help me figure out how to use the Fiddler. So even if I don't get in to that
> > > site for awhile, I'll learn something new.
> > >
> > > Again, thanks,

Clybella

Re: Unable to connect to Bethesda forum
This is the only website that I have been unable to access, although I can't
open links from my MSN homepage. (for example: a news article, it will
result in a 504 timeout). Here is the result of the ipconfig /all --

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd\

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sam-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cg.shawcable.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cg.shawcable.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-44-D1-32
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::48d7:1acd:5714:68d7%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : June-01-07 10:34:12 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : June-06-07 10:34:11 AM
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333394
64.59.135.145
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e:2424:3f57:fe99%8(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cg.shawcable.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.cg.shawcable.net
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.102%13(Preferred)
64.59.135.145
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Thanks so much for your help!