problems with mobility center

Pflueger

problems with mobility center
I have Vista, DSL, and a laptop. If I open Mobility Center with the Start
menu there is no "connection tile" there. So in order to connect I have to
right-click the taskbar icon, click on "connect to network" in the bubble,
go to "Wireless" where I get the error that the "network cannot be found". I
have to go through diagnose, repair, and resolution process, then the
connection opens.

I am currently connected (now using pc for this) and when I just now went to
mobility center through the start menu the connection tile was there
again -- but when I need it to connect it is never there.

I am confused and new to broadband. When the techie set it up it worked
straightforward so I haven't a clue what happened to mess it up. I am not
even sure when the connection tile is/isn't supposed to appear in mobility
center. I would like to configure it as it should be, so it will connect
automatically at bootup when at home, and have the ability to switch the
automatic connection on/off when I go out in public.

I am savvy enough to fix it if told what I need to do. Help would be greatly
appreciated.

pflu

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: problems with mobility center
Hi
I am not sure that the Mobility Center is the way to go.
If you have a regular DSL with a Wireless Router the connection is done
through the Wireless utility of the Vista.
Otherwise explain precisely how you Internet connection system is set and
what hardware are you using.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista, DSL, and a laptop. If I open Mobility Center with the Start
>menu there is no "connection tile" there. So in order to connect I have to
>right-click the taskbar icon, click on "connect to network" in the bubble,
>go to "Wireless" where I get the error that the "network cannot be found".
>I have to go through diagnose, repair, and resolution process, then the
>connection opens.
>
> I am currently connected (now using pc for this) and when I just now went
> to mobility center through the start menu the connection tile was there
> again -- but when I need it to connect it is never there.
>
> I am confused and new to broadband. When the techie set it up it worked
> straightforward so I haven't a clue what happened to mess it up. I am not
> even sure when the connection tile is/isn't supposed to appear in mobility
> center. I would like to configure it as it should be, so it will connect
> automatically at bootup when at home, and have the ability to switch the
> automatic connection on/off when I go out in public.
>
> I am savvy enough to fix it if told what I need to do. Help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> pflu

Pflueger

Re: problems with mobility center
I have DSL with a modem that is both Ethernet and wireless. My PC is wired
into the Ethernet and my laptop is setup for wireless. My laptop has Vista
Home Premium. It is setup to connect with a private (home) connection.

When DSL was installed recently the installer hooked up both, and setup the
wireless connection to my laptop. Subsequently I lost that connection and
had to call my ISP tech support for guidance in setting up the correct
wireless security, because I was getting a security error. It connected fine
thereafter.

Then it became unable to connect because "wireless is not started",
therefore not able to find any networks. It cannot find any networks until I
click on one of the Help links (diagnosis why networks not found). The
wireless connections I have stored don't even show. It comes up with the
answer
" The wireless is not started", then the option to "Start the Wireless".

I thought the Mobility Center was how the wireless is supposed to be
started. Then I noticed that the "connection" tile wasn't there when a help
menu gave that as one of the means to connect.

I suppose if I knew where/how to set the wireless to "Start" as default it
might work from there as before, because once the Wizard "repairs" that, the
connection gets made. For some reason the default setting must be set to
"turned off".

I will use whatever solution you have for me. Thanks.

pflu

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am not sure that the Mobility Center is the way to go.
> If you have a regular DSL with a Wireless Router the connection is done
> through the Wireless utility of the Vista.
> Otherwise explain precisely how you Internet connection system is set and
> what hardware are you using.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>

> "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>>I have Vista, DSL, and a laptop. If I open Mobility Center with the Start
>>menu there is no "connection tile" there. So in order to connect I have to
>>right-click the taskbar icon, click on "connect to network" in the bubble,
>>go to "Wireless" where I get the error that the "network cannot be found".
>>I have to go through diagnose, repair, and resolution process, then the
>>connection opens.
>>
>> I am currently connected (now using pc for this) and when I just now went
>> to mobility center through the start menu the connection tile was there
>> again -- but when I need it to connect it is never there.
>>
>> I am confused and new to broadband. When the techie set it up it worked
>> straightforward so I haven't a clue what happened to mess it up. I am not
>> even sure when the connection tile is/isn't supposed to appear in
>> mobility center. I would like to configure it as it should be, so it will
>> connect automatically at bootup when at home, and have the ability to
>> switch the automatic connection on/off when I go out in public.
>>
>> I am savvy enough to fix it if told what I need to do. Help would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> pflu

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: problems with mobility center
Hi
Under you setting the Wireless is part of the regular Network.
Unfortunately I do not have specific screen shot for Vista.
However the principle of finding out problems with Wireless is depicts here.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Combing with this page and a little patients you would be able to figure it
out.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...reless-network

> [...]
>>>bubble, go to "Wireless" where I get the error that the "network cannot
>>>be found". I have to go through diagnose, repair, and resolution process,
>>>then the connection opens.
>>>
>>> I am currently connected (now using pc for this) and when I just now
>>> went to mobility center through the start menu the connection tile was
>>> there again -- but when I need it to connect it is never there.
>>>
>>> I am confused and new to broadband. When the techie set it up it worked
>>> straightforward so I haven't a clue what happened to mess it up. I am
>>> not even sure when the connection tile is/isn't supposed to appear in
>>> mobility center. I would like to configure it as it should be, so it
>>> will connect automatically at bootup when at home, and have the ability
>>> to switch the automatic connection on/off when I go out in public.
>>>
>>> I am savvy enough to fix it if told what I need to do. Help would be

Pflueger

Re: problems with mobility center
Thanks for the link. FYI I dug through some forums where I happened upon a
thread by Barb Bowman MSVP who, as an afterthought, told a guy to check
Services and see if WLAN Autoconfig was set to Automatic. Mine was set to
Manual, so I changed it to Automatic and solved the whole problem with one
click.

I was on the phone earlier for over an hour with the tech from my ISP and he
ended up telling me I needed to contact Gateway and Microsoft.

A lucky find that was.

pflu

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: problems with mobility center
Hi
Yap, it is one of the possibilities as mentioned in the middle of the page
that I linked in the previous post.
Quote from http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
"Reviving WZC here, http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
It is important that the Wireless should be managed only with one
application.
You can use the Original Utility, or WZC. When one is used the other has to
be Off
(Not loaded into memory, and not maintained as active Windows service)".
Glad you solve it.