Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless

geo jr.

Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless

hi,
here's my problem, and i don't think it's unique, as i've been
researching it for a year and a half since i got my vista laptop (Vista
Home Premium 32bit with SP2). i lose internet connection. sometimes
often, sometimes not, but eventually do. wired or wireless. anywhere,
not just my home. i travel extensively, and i'm on wifi and ethernet in
hotels all over the country. it's always the same. everything else works
fine. and the ONLY way to remedy is to restart. sent it back to HP
twice. they replaced networking cards, etc., but no difference. i've
tried anything and everything i've seen in forums. it's not sleep
related, as it happens in the middle of corresponding via email, or
just web surfing. i've done complete system restores, updated drivers,
changed every setting imaginable and suggested. SP1, SP2, doesn't
matter. two desktops here at home, one XP, one also Vista Home Premium

32bit with SP2, and they always stay connected to the same network. in
my laptop, i have used IE 7+8, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, all to the
same end. i use yahoo mail and google mail via my browser, but recently
installed Mozilla Thunderbird to use gmail with a desktop client. i now
see that even if i can't get online via browsers, Thunderbird still is
able to send and receive email so that baffles me. unless i hear
something different, i think my only hope is Windows 7. don't think i
can install XP on this HP laptop. and i definitely don't want a mac. i
love this laptop but just want it so stay connected. HELP!!
thanx in advance for any and all help,
george
HP G60 Notebook PC
AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

--
geo jr.
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless
This is not easy case. Let' try these steps:

1. When you loss the Internet connection, run ipconfig /all and make sure
the IP is not 169.254.x.x.
2. Ping the default gateway.
3. If you can ping the default gateway, ping 4.2.2.1.
4. If you can ping 4.2.2.1, ping a web site, for example ping
chicagotech.net.

post back with the result and ipconfig /all result.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"geo jr." <geo.jr..5943724@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> hi,
> here's my problem, and i don't think it's unique, as i've been
> researching it for a year and a half since i got my vista laptop (Vista
> Home Premium 32bit with SP2). i lose internet connection. sometimes
> often, sometimes not, but eventually do. wired or wireless. anywhere,
> not just my home. i travel extensively, and i'm on wifi and ethernet in
> hotels all over the country. it's always the same. everything else works
> fine. and the ONLY way to remedy is to restart. sent it back to HP
> twice. they replaced networking cards, etc., but no difference. i've
> tried anything and everything i've seen in forums. it's not sleep
> related, as it happens in the middle of corresponding via email, or
> just web surfing. i've done complete system restores, updated drivers,
> changed every setting imaginable and suggested. SP1, SP2, doesn't
> matter. two desktops here at home, one XP, one also Vista Home Premium
>
> 32bit with SP2, and they always stay connected to the same network. in
> my laptop, i have used IE 7+8, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, all to the
> same end. i use yahoo mail and google mail via my browser, but recently
> installed Mozilla Thunderbird to use gmail with a desktop client. i now
> see that even if i can't get online via browsers, Thunderbird still is
> able to send and receive email so that baffles me. unless i hear
> something different, i think my only hope is Windows 7. don't think i
> can install XP on this HP laptop. and i definitely don't want a mac. i
> love this laptop but just want it so stay connected. HELP!!
> thanx in advance for any and all help,
> george
> HP G60 Notebook PC
> AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 2.00 GHz
> 3.00 GB Ram
> Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
>

> --
> geo jr.

Frankster

Re: Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless
Couldn't reply to the OP 'cuz it's not on my news server, but...

Sounds like a local machine AV/Firewall issue to me. Considering the
description.

Also, considering the description, and assuming the "traditional" issues
have been covered, here are a couple more odd-ball things that can cause
this.

I once ran into an issue where the ISP of the Internet provider inside an
office building via wall jacks was doing MAC authentication. Same thing,
would often lose connection. Turned out that something on his laptop was
occasionally appearing to come from a different MAC address so he was being
disconnected. Although, I doubt this is the OP's issue because he said it
happened all over, not just at one location.

Another odd-ball thing that can cause this is SIP-ALG support. If you are
operating in an environment with VOIP and your router/PC has SIP-ALG support
enabled, it can conflict with the VOIP SIP-ALG service. In this case
disable SIP-ALG support in the router. Again, this is probably not the OP's
issue because he didn't mention anything about using the same router...
but... you never know what is installed on some folk's laptop/PC.

-Frank