Can not view Networked Devices. Some Services(.msc) not Starting

MaxCG

Can not view Networked Devices. Some Services(.msc) not Starting
Hello, I don't have the level of knowledge to fix my problem. I am running
Vista64 on main PC and have a few other devices that connect to the network,
including a Vista32 laptop and a NAS ready media device.

From my PC I can not see anything on the network, whoever can see everything
from the other machines, including the shared content from the PC.

All basic settings are correct and from further investigating and googling,
I have seen that the workstation and computer browser services are not
running and this could be the problem?

Both give me an error code of 1068 when trying to start. Foud a post on
internet that was beyond my understanding advising to do a sfc/scannow. On
doing this MScommandprompt said:

"Begginning system scan. This proccess will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 94% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them.
Details are included........................"

The resulting log is beyond large and means nothing to me.

Any advise would be much appreciated, thankyou.

Max
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can not view Networked Devices. Some Services(.msc) not Starting
Yes, computer browser could be the problem. you may want to run system
restore. This how to may help.

How to repair and restore Vista OSIf the System File Checker tool doesn't
resolve the issue, you may use the System Restore tool to restore the
computer to an earlier point in time. ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/repairvista1.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"MaxCG" <MaxCG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I don't have the level of knowledge to fix my problem. I am
> running
> Vista64 on main PC and have a few other devices that connect to the
> network,
> including a Vista32 laptop and a NAS ready media device.
>
> From my PC I can not see anything on the network, whoever can see
> everything
> from the other machines, including the shared content from the PC.
>
> All basic settings are correct and from further investigating and
> googling,
> I have seen that the workstation and computer browser services are not
> running and this could be the problem?
>
> Both give me an error code of 1068 when trying to start. Foud a post on
> internet that was beyond my understanding advising to do a sfc/scannow.
> On
> doing this MScommandprompt said:
>
> "Begginning system scan. This proccess will take some time.
>
> Beginning verification phase of system scan.
> Verification 94% complete.
> Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
> of them.
> Details are included........................"
>
> The resulting log is beyond large and means nothing to me.
>
> Any advise would be much appreciated, thankyou.
>
> Max

MaxCG

Re: Can not view Networked Devices. Some Services(.msc) not Start
I don't have any restore points that sort the problem. It's had this
problem as far as I can remember. I'm contenmplating upgrading to Windows 7.
Will this rewrite all the needed system files and cure my problem (without
doing a clean install)? Thanks