Cant connect to internet but have wireless connection

technician

Cant connect to internet but have wireless connection

I am goin to try and be as specific as possible, but please forgive me
if I've left something out. I have a Dell Inspirion E1505 laptop, Intel
T2080 @ 1.73Ghz, 1014MB of Ram, and 32 bit Windows Vista Home and I have
McAfee security. This as my sons laptop and he could not get the OS to
start up. I done a system restore have since been able to log in. From
that point I have tried to connect to the internet with a netgear
wireless router WGR614 v6. I can establish a wireless connection, but I
am unable to connect to IE. When trying to do so, I get internet
explorer cannont display web page. When I try diagnose connections I get
the host may be down and windows found a problem that cannot be repaired
automatically. I am running a pc with xp home through the netgear router
with an ethernet cable so I know the internet connection is good. I have
tried to connect in safe mode. I have done an ipconfig reset and a dns
flush. I disabled my windows firewall and still have no luck. If
necessary, I can post my ipconfig. Thanks any help is much appreciated.

--
technician
Frankster

Re: Cant connect to internet but have wireless connection

"technician" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am goin to try and be as specific as possible, but please forgive me
> if I've left something out. I have a Dell Inspirion E1505 laptop, Intel
> T2080 @ 1.73Ghz, 1014MB of Ram, and 32 bit Windows Vista Home and I have
> McAfee security. This as my sons laptop and he could not get the OS to
> start up. I done a system restore have since been able to log in. From
> that point I have tried to connect to the internet with a netgear
> wireless router WGR614 v6. I can establish a wireless connection, but I
> am unable to connect to IE. When trying to do so, I get internet
> explorer cannont display web page. When I try diagnose connections I get
> the host may be down and windows found a problem that cannot be repaired
> automatically. I am running a pc with xp home through the netgear router
> with an ethernet cable so I know the internet connection is good. I have
> tried to connect in safe mode. I have done an ipconfig reset and a dns
> flush. I disabled my windows firewall and still have no luck. If
> necessary, I can post my ipconfig. Thanks any help is much appreciated.
>

> --
> technician

1), Yes, an IPCONFIG /ALL from both a working and non working computer would
help.

2) You're probably failing the wireless passcode.

-Frank

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Cant connect to internet but have wireless connection
Hi
It is possible that you think that you can establish a Wireless connection,
but in Reality it is Not so.
If you do have an IP, and it is 169.xx.xx.xxx then you do Not have a
connection to the Router.
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"technician" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am goin to try and be as specific as possible, but please forgive me
> if I've left something out. I have a Dell Inspirion E1505 laptop, Intel
> T2080 @ 1.73Ghz, 1014MB of Ram, and 32 bit Windows Vista Home and I have
> McAfee security. This as my sons laptop and he could not get the OS to
> start up. I done a system restore have since been able to log in. From
> that point I have tried to connect to the internet with a netgear
> wireless router WGR614 v6. I can establish a wireless connection, but I
> am unable to connect to IE. When trying to do so, I get internet
> explorer cannont display web page. When I try diagnose connections I get
> the host may be down and windows found a problem that cannot be repaired
> automatically. I am running a pc with xp home through the netgear router
> with an ethernet cable so I know the internet connection is good. I have
> tried to connect in safe mode. I have done an ipconfig reset and a dns
> flush. I disabled my windows firewall and still have no luck. If
> necessary, I can post my ipconfig. Thanks any help is much appreciated.
>

> --
> technician

technician

Re: Cant connect to internet but have wireless connection

Jack, thanks for your info. I do have a wireless connection according
to the dell wireless wlan card utility. I have a gateway ip address and
a client ip and they both begin with 192. The connection status is set
up for IPv4 connectivity with open dns servers. The status shows the
netgear router with a speed of 54Mbps. I will say that I have tried to
ping google.com in command prompt and I get a message "ping could not
find host google.com. please check name and try again." I read this may
have something to do with dns.

--
technician
technician

Re: Cant connect to internet but have wireless connection

If anyone cares to know. I am having this problem with a lan connection
and wireless. I establish the connections and obtain an ip address
similar to the pc I'm using to post comment. Please, if anyone has any
ideas.

> If anyone cares to know. I am having this problem with a lan connection
> and wireless. I establish the connections and obtain an ip address
> similar to the pc I'm using to post comment. Please, if anyone has any
> ideas.
>

> --
> technician

Where are those IPCONFIG /ALL reports?