writing files to XP shares

SyntaX TerroR

writing files to XP shares
I have a small network in which all clients are part of "Workgroup". My XP
client (SP3) is set up up as a basic file server with shared folders. My
other pc is Windows 7 Ultimate (but I had exactly the same problem when I was
still using Vista Ultimate). From my Windows 7 pc I can read all the shared
files on my file server.

However, when I try to copy/move a folder to the file server, I get a
strange problem.
Windows tells me it's copying the files, but when looking at the details,
the speed is 0 bytes/second. After about a minute I get a "network error",
stating that "there is a problem accessing \\XP machine\sharename. Make sure
you are connected to the network and try again"
When I look at the destination folder, I see that the folder I was trying to
copy actually exists. There are even some files in there, but usually only
files of less than 10 kB are copied.

It's not a firewall thing on the XP client, because I already tried turning
it off. The share in XP is set up so that network users can change files.
There isn't a security tab where I can specify which users are granted access.

Going about this the other way does work, but is far too much work (ie.
sharing the folder on the Windows 7 client, then using Remote Desktop to the
XP client to "pull" the files).

I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is... Nor
whether I need to look at the XP client or the Windows 7 client.

Can anyone help me here?
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: writing files to XP shares
Hi
If the Win Share is configure correctly you do not need Remote desktop.
Maybe this can Help,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).