Other computers on network vanished!

Bill

Other computers on network vanished!
I have a new Dell netbook running Win7 Starter Edition. I configured
both wired and wireless networking and was able to see the shared
drives on other PCs on my home network until today. Today I turned the
netbook on and I do not see any computer except the netbook itself when
I expand the Network node in Windows Explorer.

Selecting the Network node and clicking he Refresh button does not
help. Searching for other computers by name or IP address does not
work. When I type a computer name or IP in the Search box and press
Enter nothing happens. I can ping the other computers on the network
from the netbook.

I am moving from XP to Win7 so Win7 is new to me. Any suggestions as to
why I can no long see the other computers on the network in Explorer?

Thanks.

--
..Bill.
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Other computers on network vanished!
Is it possible you setup windows 7 as multihomed computer? Post the result
of ipconfig /all may help. Also make sure you setup network type to private
instead of public.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Bill" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Dell netbook running Win7 Starter Edition. I configured
> both wired and wireless networking and was able to see the shared
> drives on other PCs on my home network until today. Today I turned the
> netbook on and I do not see any computer except the netbook itself when
> I expand the Network node in Windows Explorer.
>
> Selecting the Network node and clicking he Refresh button does not
> help. Searching for other computers by name or IP address does not
> work. When I type a computer name or IP in the Search box and press
> Enter nothing happens. I can ping the other computers on the network
> from the netbook.
>
> I am moving from XP to Win7 so Win7 is new to me. Any suggestions as to
> why I can no long see the other computers on the network in Explorer?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> .Bill.

Bill

Bob Lin (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Is it possible you setup windows 7 as multihomed computer? Post the
> result of ipconfig /all may help. Also make sure you setup network
> type to private instead of public.

Apparently Muphy is visiting for Christmas. This morning I can see the
network computers again. I have no idea what is going on. I cold booted
everything, including the router, three times yesterday so I do not
know what could have changed overnight. Sorry to have bothered everyone
and thanks for your help.

--
..Bill.
DrTeeth

Re: Other computers on network vanished!
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:05:50 -0800, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Bill" <nospam@nospam.com> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Apparently Muphy is visiting for Christmas.

WinXP names its network MSHOME and both Vista and Win7 call it
WORKGROUP. Get them all to be the same name.
--

Cheers

DrT

**Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year; and may your God go with you**