file sharing win 7 and win xp

ZenMasta

file sharing win 7 and win xp
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup... I didn't see one for 7.

I have 2 computers on the same workgroup/lan
Desktop with XP Pro
Laptop with 7 HP

I have lots of folders shared on windows xp but I can't see them/access them
in win7.

Initial web searches suggested turning off or on simple file sharing in XP
(really I forget which one) but I did that... eventually I could see the
windows xp computer and its shared folders in win7 but if I tried to access
them it would say something like permission denied.
This was a few weeks ago.

Today I thought I would take another stab at it and another website
suggested using the network setup wizard in xp. I did that and rebooted both
computers and now I can't even see the xp computer from w7.

I think I remember something like this in the past with vista hb and xp pro
and I know I was able to work around it then. I just don't know what the
solution was. I've put in my due diligence on the web but I can't find any
solution that actually works (or one that doesn't require pro/ultimate with
gpedit/secpol)

Thanks.

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: file sharing win 7 and win xp
If you can see the sharing in XP,you are close and it could be the
permission issue. To fix it, make sure you have assigned permission in
Security tab after enabling share. If you can't see the share, try these
steps:

1. in the XP, run net share command to make sure you have enable sharing.
2. In the Windows 7, run net view \\xpipaddress. If you get an error post
back.

Or this search result may help.
Windows 7 IssuesHome Networking W/ Windows 7 & Windows XP · IE 8 and Windows
7 cant access the Internet · Mac gets error 50 when accessing Windows7 ...
www.chicagotech.net/windows7/win7issues.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"ZenMasta" <me@nospamkthx.bai> wrote in message
> Hi, sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup... I didn't see one for 7.
>
> I have 2 computers on the same workgroup/lan
> Desktop with XP Pro
> Laptop with 7 HP
>
> I have lots of folders shared on windows xp but I can't see them/access
> them in win7.
>
> Initial web searches suggested turning off or on simple file sharing in XP
> (really I forget which one) but I did that... eventually I could see the
> windows xp computer and its shared folders in win7 but if I tried to
> access them it would say something like permission denied.
> This was a few weeks ago.
>
> Today I thought I would take another stab at it and another website
> suggested using the network setup wizard in xp. I did that and rebooted
> both computers and now I can't even see the xp computer from w7.
>
> I think I remember something like this in the past with vista hb and xp
> pro and I know I was able to work around it then. I just don't know what
> the solution was. I've put in my due diligence on the web but I can't find
> any solution that actually works (or one that doesn't require pro/ultimate
> with gpedit/secpol)
>
> Thanks.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: file sharing win 7 and win xp
Hi
Firewall instructions.
Windows 7 Work Network,
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ZenMasta" <me@nospamkthx.bai> wrote in message
> Hi, sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup... I didn't see one for 7.
>
> I have 2 computers on the same workgroup/lan
> Desktop with XP Pro
> Laptop with 7 HP
>
> I have lots of folders shared on windows xp but I can't see them/access
> them in win7.
>
> Initial web searches suggested turning off or on simple file sharing in XP
> (really I forget which one) but I did that... eventually I could see the
> windows xp computer and its shared folders in win7 but if I tried to
> access them it would say something like permission denied.
> This was a few weeks ago.
>
> Today I thought I would take another stab at it and another website
> suggested using the network setup wizard in xp. I did that and rebooted
> both computers and now I can't even see the xp computer from w7.
>
> I think I remember something like this in the past with vista hb and xp
> pro and I know I was able to work around it then. I just don't know what
> the solution was. I've put in my due diligence on the web but I can't find
> any solution that actually works (or one that doesn't require pro/ultimate
> with gpedit/secpol)
>
> Thanks.

ZenMasta

Re: file sharing win 7 and win xp
After some toiling I think I am half way there. I didn't have to turn off
win firewall or make any changes.

XP can see w7 and access the shares!
XP can see itself in workgroup/computers but can't access - how the heck?

W7 can see XP but cannot access shares.

I have tried with and without simple file sharing on XP.