Slow file sharing with Vista & Norton Internet Security 2009

ctc

Slow file sharing with Vista & Norton Internet Security 2009
I am experiencing a significant slowdown when sharing files over a home
network. Here is the scenerio:

4 computers: 3 have Vista sp2, 1 has XP sp3

1 of the Vista computers is set up to share documents via the public folder.
All computers are running Norton Internet Security 2009.

When the XP computer accesses shared files on the Vista computer, there are
no problems. But when using 1 of the 2 remaining Vista computers to access
the shared files on the Vista computer, there is a significant slowdown. It
takes a long time for the file to open. From what I can tell, Norton is doing
a full scan on the shared file before it "downloads" it.

If I disable Norton autoprotect the problem goes away, but obviously this
isn't the way to fix the problem.

I recognize this is probably an issue with Norton, or at least the way
Norton is interacting with Vista, but I have no idea how to fix it, other
than removing Norton and using another virus software. Contacting Norton has
gotten me nowhere.

All computers have the latest MS updates. I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling Norton, with no success.

Is there a way to fix this problem, or is it just a function of Norton and
Vista interacting poorly? Just to be clear, there are no issues when
accessing the internet via the same shared router. I also just added a Window
7 computer to the network, with Norton 2010, and the same problem occurs (the
file eventually opens after a long lag/once scanning completes).

Thank you.
d3aths3rver

Re: Slow file sharing with Vista & Norton Internet Security 2009

going into nortons settings and choosing to ignore a shared folder or
specific files and folders on your network might fix this problem

--
d3aths3rver

If I was helpful to you please tip my scales and say how I helped you

Michael York is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Slow file sharing with Vista & Norton Internet Security 2009
Hi ctc,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

When you setup sharing, did you also configure the Network Map feature in the Norton Firewall and assign the shared computers "Full Trust"? If not, this could be part of the issue.

On top of correctly configuring the Network Map feature, having a subscription to Norton internet Security entitles you to free product updates for the life of your subscription. It is always recommended that you have the latest version of the software installed, which is the 2010 version.

To update, simply visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

The update process from 2009 to 2010 is very quick. Once you have updated to the 2010 version, manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest patches applied.

After the updates are complete, click on the "Settings" link next to Network and then scroll down to the "Smart Firewall" category. Locate the "Trust Control" option and choose "Configure". Click on the (+) sign and then add either the IP or MAC address of the computer you are sharing files from and then select the "Add" button. Repeat this step for any device that you would like to share files from.

Thank you,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc View Post