Saving files from a Vista computer to an XP computer.

Sam Rutherford

Saving files from a Vista computer to an XP computer.
We have a 3 computer peer to peer network with 2 XP Home computers and a new
Vista Business laptop with Office 2007. The XP machines talk to each other
and share files effortlessly. The Vista laptop can see both XP machines and
can read files on their drives but will not allow us to save to the shared
drives - what's the trick.
thanks in advance Sam.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Saving files from a Vista computer to an XP computer.
If creating a same username on both Vista and XP, can you save it? This search result may help,

Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see it but access. 2) you may be able to open it but . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Sam Rutherford" <Sam Rutherford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F544360A-E99E-4FF7-B8E0-8D48E4A46AC8@microsoft.com...
We have a 3 computer peer to peer network with 2 XP Home computers and a new
Vista Business laptop with Office 2007. The XP machines talk to each other
and share files effortlessly. The Vista laptop can see both XP machines and
can read files on their drives but will not allow us to save to the shared
drives - what's the trick.
thanks in advance Sam.
Sam Rutherford

RE: Saving files from a Vista computer to an XP computer.
Thanks for that Bob but tried all your suggestions to no avail, I have even
tried the laptop on another similiar network and get the same problem. Sam

"Sam Rutherford" wrote:

> We have a 3 computer peer to peer network with 2 XP Home computers and a new
> Vista Business laptop with Office 2007. The XP machines talk to each other
> and share files effortlessly. The Vista laptop can see both XP machines and
> can read files on their drives but will not allow us to save to the shared
> drives - what's the trick.
> thanks in advance Sam.

Sam Rutherford

RE: Saving files from a Vista computer to an XP computer.
All sorted. Office 2007 was corrupted I tried to save a Wordpad doc to one of
the XP machines and it was OK. Word & Excel wouldn't so voila it was Office
2007 that was the problem - uninstall & reinstall fixed it.

"Sam Rutherford" wrote:

> Thanks for that Bob but tried all your suggestions to no avail, I have even
> tried the laptop on another similiar network and get the same problem. Sam
>
> "Sam Rutherford" wrote:
>
> > We have a 3 computer peer to peer network with 2 XP Home computers and a new
> > Vista Business laptop with Office 2007. The XP machines talk to each other
> > and share files effortlessly. The Vista laptop can see both XP machines and
> > can read files on their drives but will not allow us to save to the shared
> > drives - what's the trick.
> > thanks in advance Sam.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Saving files from a Vista computer to an XP computer.
Thank you for the update.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE