problem sharing files from xp pro to vista

Perry

problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
hi,
i just got my new laptop that came with vista home premium.
my older desktop is running win xp pro sp2.
i want to share my media files with my vista laptop.
my laptop is wireless while my desktop is wired. but they should both be on
the same network.
how do i do this?
on my xp machine, i have the folder "shared" over the network...but i cant
find it on the vista machine. i can however play the music files that i have
in my "music" folder in xp, but thats not where i have all of my media files.
can someone please help me?
thank you in advance.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
This how to may help,

Vista How toVista How to. Vista Network Sharing ┬Ě Avoid the VPN connect prompt ... 2007 3:23 am Post subject: How to: disable Vista password protected sharing . ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8F863F7-C9A2-4268-B9E9-5979A8B22122@microsoft.com...
hi,
i just got my new laptop that came with vista home premium.
my older desktop is running win xp pro sp2.
i want to share my media files with my vista laptop.
my laptop is wireless while my desktop is wired. but they should both be on
the same network.
how do i do this?
on my xp machine, i have the folder "shared" over the network...but i cant
find it on the vista machine. i can however play the music files that i have
in my "music" folder in xp, but thats not where i have all of my media files.
can someone please help me?
thank you in advance.
Chuck

Re: problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
On Mon, 7 May 2007 20:08:00 -0700, Perry <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>hi,
>i just got my new laptop that came with vista home premium.
>my older desktop is running win xp pro sp2.
>i want to share my media files with my vista laptop.
>my laptop is wireless while my desktop is wired. but they should both be on
>the same network.
>how do i do this?
>on my xp machine, i have the folder "shared" over the network...but i cant
>find it on the vista machine. i can however play the music files that i have
>in my "music" folder in xp, but thats not where i have all of my media files.
>can someone please help me?
>thank you in advance.

If you're adding a computer running Windows Vista to your network, you have to
set it up as a server, so you can access it from your other computers.
* Set the Network Location Type to "Private". This implies that your
computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT router, and opens the
personal firewall for file sharing.
* Check / set "Password protected sharing" (PPS). Disabling PPS is the
equivalent of enabling Simple File Sharing, in Windows XP.
* Setup shared folders and printers. If you enabled PPS, you should setup
access for individual users. If you disabled PPS, you setup access for "Guest"
or "Everyone".

Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be similar to XP. You'll
still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
* Put all computers in the same workgroup.
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Perry

Re: problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
I dont want to access my vista machine from my xp machine.
i want to access my xp machine from my vista machine.
I have media files on my xp machine and i want to be able to use and/or copy
them to my vista machine. do you understand what i mean?

On Tue, 8 May 2007 06:22:11 -0700, Perry <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 May 2007 20:08:00 -0700, Perry <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >hi,
>> >i just got my new laptop that came with vista home premium.
>> >my older desktop is running win xp pro sp2.
>> >i want to share my media files with my vista laptop.
>> >my laptop is wireless while my desktop is wired. but they should both be on
>> >the same network.
>> >how do i do this?
>> >on my xp machine, i have the folder "shared" over the network...but i cant
>> >find it on the vista machine. i can however play the music files that i have
>> >in my "music" folder in xp, but thats not where i have all of my media files.
>> >can someone please help me?
>> >thank you in advance.

>> If you're adding a computer running Windows Vista to your network, you have to
>> set it up as a server, so you can access it from your other computers.
>> * Set the Network Location Type to "Private". This implies that your
>> computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT router, and opens the
>> personal firewall for file sharing.
>> * Check / set "Password protected sharing" (PPS). Disabling PPS is the
>> equivalent of enabling Simple File Sharing, in Windows XP.
>> * Setup shared folders and printers. If you enabled PPS, you should setup
>> access for individual users. If you disabled PPS, you setup access for "Guest"
>> or "Everyone".
>>
>> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be similar to XP. You'll
>> still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
>> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
>> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
>> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
>> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

>I dont want to access my vista machine from my xp machine.
>i want to access my xp machine from my vista machine.
>I have media files on my xp machine and i want to be able to use and/or copy
>them to my vista machine. do you understand what i mean?

I see your original problem report, which isn't terribly deep in detail. I will
try to help ("can someone please help me?"), but you'll be doing most of the
work anyway.

In troubleshooting problems with Windows Networking, you have many possible
problems - from broken cables to misconfigured file sharing permissions.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

Now I'm sure that you have checked several things that you haven't bothered to
mention, so if I suggest something that you "know" isn't the problem, it's
because I can't read your mind.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...encourage.html

So what do you want to do next?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Perry

Re: problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
well, i am not incredibly talented with networking and the like.
i just figured since vista was supposed to be so good, that it wouldnt be a
problem being able to access a shared folder on a computer that is hooked up
to my home network. so i guess its not so easy of a solution...

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2007 06:22:11 -0700, Perry <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck" wrote:

> >> If you're adding a computer running Windows Vista to your network, you have to
> >> set it up as a server, so you can access it from your other computers.
> >> * Set the Network Location Type to "Private". This implies that your
> >> computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT router, and opens the
> >> personal firewall for file sharing.
> >> * Check / set "Password protected sharing" (PPS). Disabling PPS is the
> >> equivalent of enabling Simple File Sharing, in Windows XP.
> >> * Setup shared folders and printers. If you enabled PPS, you should setup
> >> access for individual users. If you disabled PPS, you setup access for "Guest"
> >> or "Everyone".
> >>
> >> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be similar to XP. You'll
> >> still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
> >> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
> >> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
> >> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
> >> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

> >I dont want to access my vista machine from my xp machine.
> >i want to access my xp machine from my vista machine.
> >I have media files on my xp machine and i want to be able to use and/or copy
> >them to my vista machine. do you understand what i mean?

> I see your original problem report, which isn't terribly deep in detail. I will
> try to help ("can someone please help me?"), but you'll be doing most of the
> work anyway.
>
> In troubleshooting problems with Windows Networking, you have many possible
> problems - from broken cables to misconfigured file sharing permissions.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
>
> Now I'm sure that you have checked several things that you haven't bothered to
> mention, so if I suggest something that you "know" isn't the problem, it's
> because I can't read your mind.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...encourage.html
>
> So what do you want to do next?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Perry

Re: problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
ok, when i have a chance, i will read through them.
thanks for your help so far.

wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 May 2007 06:22:11 -0700, Perry <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:

>> >I dont want to access my vista machine from my xp machine.
>> >i want to access my xp machine from my vista machine.
>> >I have media files on my xp machine and i want to be able to use and/or copy
>> >them to my vista machine. do you understand what i mean?

>> I see your original problem report, which isn't terribly deep in detail. I will
>> try to help ("can someone please help me?"), but you'll be doing most of the
>> work anyway.
>>
>> In troubleshooting problems with Windows Networking, you have many possible
>> problems - from broken cables to misconfigured file sharing permissions.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
>>
>> Now I'm sure that you have checked several things that you haven't bothered to
>> mention, so if I suggest something that you "know" isn't the problem, it's
>> because I can't read your mind.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...encourage.html
>>
>> So what do you want to do next?

>well, i am not incredibly talented with networking and the like.
>i just figured since vista was supposed to be so good, that it wouldnt be a
>problem being able to access a shared folder on a computer that is hooked up
>to my home network. so i guess its not so easy of a solution...

Sometimes it is, but not always. Your scenario seems to fall into the latter
category.

We haven't finished yet. I'm just asking you to do some reading, so you can see
what you might check, to start. And ask questions, rather than dismiss it as
too complicated.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Perry

Re: problem sharing files from xp pro to vista
chuck, i have no clue what those links you sent mean.
its all technical jibberish to me.
i thought you could just basically click in xp "share this folder"
then on the vista machine, i could see it in my network...
i thought this was supposed to be easy.