vista - xp networking

Mukund

vista - xp networking
i added a laptop running vista to home network of 4 xp running computers.
vista laptop sees only itself in the network and none of the others. cannot
figure out what i am missing.

Re: vista - xp networking
"Mukund" <Mukund@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i added a laptop running vista to home network of 4 xp running computers.
> vista laptop sees only itself in the network and none of the others.
> cannot
> figure out what i am missing.

Check workgroup names. They should be the same. XP's default is MSHOME.
Vista default is WORKGROUP.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

bill-hokie

RE: vista - xp networking
See my post below and others. This seems to be a common thread to VISTA.
I hope someone can help us.
"Mukund" wrote:

> i added a laptop running vista to home network of 4 xp running computers.
> vista laptop sees only itself in the network and none of the others. cannot
> figure out what i am missing.

Mukund

Re: vista - xp networking
the xp computers are in Mshome, and so i tried changing the vista workgroup
to Mshome, but still no luck. very frustrating.

"Walter_B@community.nospam" wrote:

> "Mukund" <Mukund@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i added a laptop running vista to home network of 4 xp running computers.
> > vista laptop sees only itself in the network and none of the others.
> > cannot
> > figure out what i am missing.
> >

> Check workgroup names. They should be the same. XP's default is MSHOME.
> Vista default is WORKGROUP.
>
> --
>
> ______________________________
>
> Walter B
> waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
> ______________________________

Chuck

Re: vista - xp networking
On Mon, 7 May 2007 15:31:01 -0700, Mukund <Mukund@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>i added a laptop running vista to home network of 4 xp running computers.
>vista laptop sees only itself in the network and none of the others. cannot
>figure out what i am missing.

If you're adding a computer running Windows Vista to your network, you have to
set it up as a server, so you can access it from your other computers.
* Set the Network Location Type to "Private". This implies that your
computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT router, and opens the
personal firewall for file sharing.
* Check / set "Password protected sharing" (PPS). Disabling PPS is the
equivalent of enabling Simple File Sharing, in Windows XP.
* Setup shared folders and printers. If you enabled PPS, you should setup
access for individual users. If you disabled PPS, you setup access for "Guest"
or "Everyone".

Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be similar to XP. You'll
still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
koze

Re: vista - xp networking
Take a look here to see what has to be done:

Ko
"Mukund" <Mukund@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht