Cannot Ping XP-Pro machine

rleven@comcast.net

Cannot Ping XP-Pro machine
My laptop is a XP-ProSP2 machine. I am running Vista Business on my
desktop. My XP machine is a member of a domain CORP and I log in using
cached credentials. First of all I cannot ping from V to X but I can
from X to V. My goal is to RDP from Vista to XP like I always did in
the past. Oh, my Vista machine is just a workgrouped computer.
Bob, MCSE and this is driving me nuts.
Chuck

Re: Cannot Ping XP-Pro machine
On Mon, 07 May 2007 11:02:58 -0400, rleven@comcast.net wrote:

>My laptop is a XP-ProSP2 machine. I am running Vista Business on my
>desktop. My XP machine is a member of a domain CORP and I log in using
>cached credentials. First of all I cannot ping from V to X but I can
>from X to V. My goal is to RDP from Vista to XP like I always did in
>the past. Oh, my Vista machine is just a workgrouped computer.
>Bob, MCSE and this is driving me nuts.

Bob,

Please start with "cannot ping" - is that "Unknown host", or "Request timed
out"?

Next, what personal firewalls do you use? Antitrojan / antivirus?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
BobL

Re: Cannot Ping XP-Pro machine
I get "Request timed out". I have the firewalls on both machines
disabled. McAfee on the XP machine but no hygiene software on the
Vista machine yet. I am running the x64 bit version of Vista Business.
Bob

On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:14:49 -0400, BobL wrote:

>On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:06:54 -0700, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 May 2007 11:02:58 -0400, rleven@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>>My laptop is a XP-ProSP2 machine. I am running Vista Business on my
>>>desktop. My XP machine is a member of a domain CORP and I log in using
>>>cached credentials. First of all I cannot ping from V to X but I can
>>>from X to V. My goal is to RDP from Vista to XP like I always did in
>>>the past. Oh, my Vista machine is just a workgrouped computer.
>>>Bob, MCSE and this is driving me nuts.

>>Bob,
>>
>>Please start with "cannot ping" - is that "Unknown host", or "Request timed
>>out"?
>>
>>Next, what personal firewalls do you use? Antitrojan / antivirus?
>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

>I get "Request timed out". I have the firewalls on both machines
>disabled. McAfee on the XP machine but no hygiene software on the
>Vista machine yet. I am running the x64 bit version of Vista Business.
>Bob

OK, Bob,

A "request timed out" is either a physical or logical network problem, a
personal firewall problem, or an LSP / Winsock problem. This isn't a Windows
Networking (SMB) issue, it's more low level. Ping, aka ICMP Echo, is a pretty
simple process, and very little to stop it.

Windows XP has been around a lot longer than Vista, and if you mentioned McAfee
and "network problem", in the same post, in microsoft. public. windowsxp.
network_web, the first response would be "Uninstall it, religiously using all
instructions from McAfee".
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

If you can ping one way but not the other, it's probably either McAfee itself
(or another software product not recognised), or a corrupt LSP / Winsock (and
the latter could be either computer).
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

It's vaguely possible that you have a physical problem, that affects only one
channel between the 2 computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/dealing-with-physical-network-problems.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-problems.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
BobL

Re: Cannot Ping XP-Pro machine
Chuck,
I removed McAfee from the XP machine and I still cannot ping it from
Vista. There is nothing wrong with either of the IP stacks in either
machine. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Bob

On Tue, 08 May 2007 05:47:59 -0400, BobL wrote:

>On Mon, 07 May 2007 11:02:58 -0400, rleven@comcast.net wrote:
>
>>My laptop is a XP-ProSP2 machine. I am running Vista Business on my
>>desktop. My XP machine is a member of a domain CORP and I log in using
>>cached credentials. First of all I cannot ping from V to X but I can
>>from X to V. My goal is to RDP from Vista to XP like I always did in
>>the past. Oh, my Vista machine is just a workgrouped computer.
>>Bob, MCSE and this is driving me nuts.

>Chuck,
>I removed McAfee from the XP machine and I still cannot ping it from
>Vista. There is nothing wrong with either of the IP stacks in either
>machine. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
>Bob

Bob,

A ping (ICMP Echo) is a very low level bit of network traffic. A ping by IP
address demands only IP and physical connectivity. There are four known causes
for ping problems:
1) Physical networking problems.
2) Logical networking problems (IP mis configurations).
3) Personal firewalls.
4) LSP / Winsock corruption.

I'll work on this with you, but if you can reply to my posts, we can refer to

Start with physical networking. How are the computers connected, physically?
Be excruciatingly detailed here.

On Tue, 08 May 2007 09:48:01 -0700, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 May 2007 05:47:59 -0400, BobL wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 May 2007 11:02:58 -0400, rleven@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>>My laptop is a XP-ProSP2 machine. I am running Vista Business on my
>>>desktop. My XP machine is a member of a domain CORP and I log in using
>>>cached credentials. First of all I cannot ping from V to X but I can
>>>from X to V. My goal is to RDP from Vista to XP like I always did in
>>>the past. Oh, my Vista machine is just a workgrouped computer.
>>>Bob, MCSE and this is driving me nuts.

>>Chuck,
>>I removed McAfee from the XP machine and I still cannot ping it from
>>Vista. There is nothing wrong with either of the IP stacks in either
>>machine. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
>>Bob

>Bob,
>
>A ping (ICMP Echo) is a very low level bit of network traffic. A ping by IP
>address demands only IP and physical connectivity. There are four known causes
>for ping problems:
>1) Physical networking problems.
>2) Logical networking problems (IP mis configurations).
>3) Personal firewalls.
>4) LSP / Winsock corruption.
>
>I'll work on this with you, but if you can reply to my posts, we can refer to
>
>Start with physical networking. How are the computers connected, physically?
>Be excruciatingly detailed here.

Chuck,
Computers are hard wired (CAT5) going through a 5-Port Linksys switch.
As I said I can ping the XP machine but not vice-versa.
Bob
BobL

On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:52:28 -0700, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:28:49 -0400, BobL wrote:

>>>Bob,
>>>
>>>A ping (ICMP Echo) is a very low level bit of network traffic. A ping by IP
>>>address demands only IP and physical connectivity. There are four known causes
>>>for ping problems:
>>>1) Physical networking problems.
>>>2) Logical networking problems (IP mis configurations).
>>>3) Personal firewalls.
>>>4) LSP / Winsock corruption.
>>>
>>>I'll work on this with you, but if you can reply to my posts, we can refer to
>>>
>>>Start with physical networking. How are the computers connected, physically?
>>>Be excruciatingly detailed here.

>>Chuck,
>>Computers are hard wired (CAT5) going through a 5-Port Linksys switch.
>>As I said I can ping the XP machine but not vice-versa.
>>Bob

>Bob,
>
>If you've done any networking work, you'll have occasionally run into a network
>that works one way, but not the other. You have 3 ways to verify that the
>problem is NOT physical.
>1) Swap the 2 computers, end for end, so that Computer A uses the cable and
>router port that Computer B was using, and vice versa.
>2) Read the manual that came with the switch (what model??), and see if any
>diagnostics are included.
>3) Replace both cables and the switch (not guaranteed, as you could end up with
>any one item defective too).
>
>If you have connectivity one way, but not the other, I'd suspect that logical
>(IP) connectivity is good.
>
>If you have ANY remaining personal firewall or other security software on either
>computer, remove it. Read thru some threads in MPWXNW, about personal
>firewalls, if you don't understand.
>
>Finally, check LSP / Winsock. If you just un installed anything, check it
>again. Use all tools repeatedly, until all tools return negative results.
>Please, don't post
>> There is nothing wrong with either of the IP stacks in either machine.

>without some way of backing that up. Preferably 400% of this incredible amount
>of detail.
>>Computers are hard wired (CAT5) going through a 5-Port Linksys switch.

>Again, do some more reading. It's there to help you.
><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html>
>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...encourage.html

Chuck,
I had the Vista Machine joined to a domain that I created on a
Longhorn box. I had no problems with connectivity between Longhorn and
the Vista machine. I removed it from that domain and put it back in a
workgroup so that I could use if for work. email me when you get a
chance. My email address is at the top of the thread. I am a MCSE
/Messaging of some 11 years and yes I do have quite a bit of
experience with networking.

On Tue, 08 May 2007 17:32:25 -0400, BobL wrote:

>On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:52:28 -0700, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:

>>>Chuck,
>>>Computers are hard wired (CAT5) going through a 5-Port Linksys switch.
>>>As I said I can ping the XP machine but not vice-versa.
>>>Bob

>>Bob,
>>
>>If you've done any networking work, you'll have occasionally run into a network
>>that works one way, but not the other. You have 3 ways to verify that the
>>problem is NOT physical.
>>1) Swap the 2 computers, end for end, so that Computer A uses the cable and
>>router port that Computer B was using, and vice versa.
>>2) Read the manual that came with the switch (what model??), and see if any
>>diagnostics are included.
>>3) Replace both cables and the switch (not guaranteed, as you could end up with
>>any one item defective too).
>>
>>If you have connectivity one way, but not the other, I'd suspect that logical
>>(IP) connectivity is good.
>>
>>If you have ANY remaining personal firewall or other security software on either
>>computer, remove it. Read thru some threads in MPWXNW, about personal
>>firewalls, if you don't understand.
>>
>>Finally, check LSP / Winsock. If you just un installed anything, check it
>>again. Use all tools repeatedly, until all tools return negative results.
>>Please, don't post
>>> There is nothing wrong with either of the IP stacks in either machine.

>>without some way of backing that up. Preferably 400% of this incredible amount
>>of detail.
>>>Computers are hard wired (CAT5) going through a 5-Port Linksys switch.

>>Again, do some more reading. It's there to help you.
>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html>
>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...encourage.html

>Chuck,
>I had the Vista Machine joined to a domain that I created on a
>Longhorn box. I had no problems with connectivity between Longhorn and
>the Vista machine. I removed it from that domain and put it back in a
>workgroup so that I could use if for work. email me when you get a
>chance. My email address is at the top of the thread. I am a MCSE
>/Messaging of some 11 years and yes I do have quite a bit of
>experience with networking.
>Bob

Bob,

Yes I see your title. You're here asking for help, and I'm trying to help you.

When you ask for help, you need to provide details to help the helpers. I've
cited my posts, that I use with other folks asking for help, that have helped me
to help them. Let's look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from each
computer, maybe we will see something interesting.