Connecting to a share in a network after password change

Edward Diener

Connecting to a share in a network after password change
I have a network of two computers.

ComputerA, running Windows XP 32-bit has a shared folder in read-only
mode called SFiles with a sign-on of CAShare and a password of ZXJK1122.

ComputerB, running Windows Vista 64, in the Network entry of Windows
Explorer shows ComputerA. When I expand ComputerA I can see the SFiles
shared folder undereath and when I try to click on the folder it asks me
for a sign-on and password. I answer with CAShare and ZXJK1122, and it
asks me if I want to save this information and I say yes. Subsequently,
when I click on the SFiles shared folder it gives me read-only access to
the files in the shared folder. This works excellently.

Subsequently, on ComputerA, I decide to change the password for the
sign-on of CAShare from ZXJK1122 to NPPP345T.

Now on ComputerB when I try to click on the SFiles shared folder in
Windows Explorer I get a message of:

"Windows can not access \\ComputerA\SFiles with an error code of
Ox80070005, Acces is denied."

That's fair enough, since I changed the password for the sign-on. So I
want Windows Explorer on ComputerB to ask me for a new password, and I
will reply NPPP345T and now have read-only access again which is fine.
But it does not do this but repeatedly denies me access each time I
click on the shared folder. Surely there must be some way to tell Window
Explorer to get a new password from me for this share. How do I do that
? It seems impossible that Vista will keep me from accessing shared
folders of another computer on my network simply because it has decided
that I can not change the signon/password to the other computer's
shares.
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting to a share in a network after password change
You may want to use control userpasswords2 to reset the password. This post
may help.

Clear Domain Cached Credentials On a local computer -
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5810

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Edward Diener" <eddielee_no_spam_here@tropicsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a network of two computers.
>
> ComputerA, running Windows XP 32-bit has a shared folder in read-only mode
> called SFiles with a sign-on of CAShare and a password of ZXJK1122.
>
> ComputerB, running Windows Vista 64, in the Network entry of Windows
> Explorer shows ComputerA. When I expand ComputerA I can see the SFiles
> shared folder undereath and when I try to click on the folder it asks me
> for a sign-on and password. I answer with CAShare and ZXJK1122, and it
> asks me if I want to save this information and I say yes. Subsequently,
> when I click on the SFiles shared folder it gives me read-only access to
> the files in the shared folder. This works excellently.
>
> Subsequently, on ComputerA, I decide to change the password for the
> sign-on of CAShare from ZXJK1122 to NPPP345T.
>
> Now on ComputerB when I try to click on the SFiles shared folder in
> Windows Explorer I get a message of:
>
> "Windows can not access \\ComputerA\SFiles with an error code of
> Ox80070005, Acces is denied."
>
> That's fair enough, since I changed the password for the sign-on. So I
> want Windows Explorer on ComputerB to ask me for a new password, and I
> will reply NPPP345T and now have read-only access again which is fine. But
> it does not do this but repeatedly denies me access each time I click on
> the shared folder. Surely there must be some way to tell Window Explorer
> to get a new password from me for this share. How do I do that ? It seems
> impossible that Vista will keep me from accessing shared folders of
> another computer on my network simply because it has decided that I can
> not change the signon/password to the other computer's
> shares.

Kerry Brown

> I have a network of two computers.
>
> ComputerA, running Windows XP 32-bit has a shared folder in read-only mode
> called SFiles with a sign-on of CAShare and a password of ZXJK1122.
>
> ComputerB, running Windows Vista 64, in the Network entry of Windows
> Explorer shows ComputerA. When I expand ComputerA I can see the SFiles
> shared folder undereath and when I try to click on the folder it asks me
> for a sign-on and password. I answer with CAShare and ZXJK1122, and it
> asks me if I want to save this information and I say yes. Subsequently,
> when I click on the SFiles shared folder it gives me read-only access to
> the files in the shared folder. This works excellently.
>
> Subsequently, on ComputerA, I decide to change the password for the
> sign-on of CAShare from ZXJK1122 to NPPP345T.
>
> Now on ComputerB when I try to click on the SFiles shared folder in
> Windows Explorer I get a message of:
>
> "Windows can not access \\ComputerA\SFiles with an error code of
> Ox80070005, Acces is denied."
>
> That's fair enough, since I changed the password for the sign-on. So I
> want Windows Explorer on ComputerB to ask me for a new password, and I
> will reply NPPP345T and now have read-only access again which is fine. But
> it does not do this but repeatedly denies me access each time I click on
> the shared folder. Surely there must be some way to tell Window Explorer
> to get a new password from me for this share. How do I do that ? It seems
> impossible that Vista will keep me from accessing shared folders of
> another computer on my network simply because it has decided that I can
> not change the signon/password to the other computer's
> shares.

In a workgroup you have manage the user accounts and password on each
computer yourself. To get a single signon you need to manage the computers
with a central directory. Microsoft's solution to this is called Active
Directory which requires a Windows server be added to the network.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Edward Diener

Kerry Brown wrote:

> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_no_spam_here@tropicsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a network of two computers.
>>
>> ComputerA, running Windows XP 32-bit has a shared folder in read-only
>> mode called SFiles with a sign-on of CAShare and a password of ZXJK1122.
>>
>> ComputerB, running Windows Vista 64, in the Network entry of Windows
>> Explorer shows ComputerA. When I expand ComputerA I can see the SFiles
>> shared folder undereath and when I try to click on the folder it asks
>> me for a sign-on and password. I answer with CAShare and ZXJK1122, and
>> it asks me if I want to save this information and I say yes.
>> Subsequently, when I click on the SFiles shared folder it gives me
>> read-only access to the files in the shared folder. This works
>> excellently.
>>
>> Subsequently, on ComputerA, I decide to change the password for the
>> sign-on of CAShare from ZXJK1122 to NPPP345T.
>>
>> Now on ComputerB when I try to click on the SFiles shared folder in
>> Windows Explorer I get a message of:
>>
>> "Windows can not access \\ComputerA\SFiles with an error code of
>> Ox80070005, Acces is denied."
>>
>> That's fair enough, since I changed the password for the sign-on. So I
>> want Windows Explorer on ComputerB to ask me for a new password, and I
>> will reply NPPP345T and now have read-only access again which is fine.
>> But it does not do this but repeatedly denies me access each time I
>> click on the shared folder. Surely there must be some way to tell
>> Window Explorer to get a new password from me for this share. How do I
>> do that ? It seems impossible that Vista will keep me from accessing
>> shared folders of another computer on my network simply because it has
>> decided that I can not change the signon/password to the other computer's
>> shares.

> In a workgroup you have manage the user accounts and password on each
> computer yourself. To get a single signon you need to manage the
> computers with a central directory. Microsoft's solution to this is
> called Active Directory which requires a Windows server be added to the
> network.

I am using a Workgroup.

My point is that I can not seem to tell Windows Vista / Windows Explorer
that since the password has changed on ComputerA, it needs on ComputerB
to ask me again to supply the password in order to access ComputerA's
shared folder.

Surely this must be an extremely poor limitation of how Windows Vista
and Network Discovery works and of Windows Vista networking in general
works. It hardly seems believable that there is not a simple solution to
this.
Edward Diener

Bob Lin (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You may want to use control userpasswords2 to reset the password. This
> post may help.
>
> Clear Domain Cached Credentials On a local computer -
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5810

Where does documentation exist on what "control userpasswords2" is and
what it is supposed to do ? I assume it is some sort of command-line
command but I can find nothing about it under Windows Vista help or even
what it relates to.
Edward Diener

Bob Lin (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You may want to use control userpasswords2 to reset the password. This
> post may help.
>
> Clear Domain Cached Credentials On a local computer -
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5810

OK, I see where 'control userpasswords2' goes. Thanks !
Kerry Brown

> Kerry Brown wrote:
>>
>> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_no_spam_here@tropicsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a network of two computers.
>>>
>>> ComputerA, running Windows XP 32-bit has a shared folder in read-only
>>> mode called SFiles with a sign-on of CAShare and a password of ZXJK1122.
>>>
>>> ComputerB, running Windows Vista 64, in the Network entry of Windows
>>> Explorer shows ComputerA. When I expand ComputerA I can see the SFiles
>>> shared folder undereath and when I try to click on the folder it asks me
>>> for a sign-on and password. I answer with CAShare and ZXJK1122, and it
>>> asks me if I want to save this information and I say yes. Subsequently,
>>> when I click on the SFiles shared folder it gives me read-only access to
>>> the files in the shared folder. This works excellently.
>>>
>>> Subsequently, on ComputerA, I decide to change the password for the
>>> sign-on of CAShare from ZXJK1122 to NPPP345T.
>>>
>>> Now on ComputerB when I try to click on the SFiles shared folder in
>>> Windows Explorer I get a message of:
>>>
>>> "Windows can not access \\ComputerA\SFiles with an error code of
>>> Ox80070005, Acces is denied."
>>>
>>> That's fair enough, since I changed the password for the sign-on. So I
>>> want Windows Explorer on ComputerB to ask me for a new password, and I
>>> will reply NPPP345T and now have read-only access again which is fine.
>>> But it does not do this but repeatedly denies me access each time I
>>> click on the shared folder. Surely there must be some way to tell Window
>>> Explorer to get a new password from me for this share. How do I do that
>>> ? It seems impossible that Vista will keep me from accessing shared
>>> folders of another computer on my network simply because it has decided
>>> that I can not change the signon/password to the other computer's
>>> shares.

>> In a workgroup you have manage the user accounts and password on each
>> computer yourself. To get a single signon you need to manage the
>> computers with a central directory. Microsoft's solution to this is
>> called Active Directory which requires a Windows server be added to the
>> network.

> I am using a Workgroup.
>
> My point is that I can not seem to tell Windows Vista / Windows Explorer
> that since the password has changed on ComputerA, it needs on ComputerB to
> ask me again to supply the password in order to access ComputerA's shared
> folder.
>
> Surely this must be an extremely poor limitation of how Windows Vista and
> Network Discovery works and of Windows Vista networking in general works.
> It hardly seems believable that there is not a simple solution to this.

The simple solution is to change the password on ComputerB to match the
password on ComputerA. This really isn't a Vista or even a Windows
limitation. Pretty much all OS's work this way for peer to peer networking
(i.e. workgroup). Note that in Windows 7 what you want to do is possible
with the credential manager but it isn't automatic. I don't have a Vista
computer handy to see if it's possible in Vista. In Vista you can do it with
mapped drives. Delete the current mapped drive then remap it, ticking the
box that says something about using a different account to connect. You can
then specify the account name in the format ComputerB\UserName and supply
the password that ComputerB requires. Of course this will break if at some
future point in time the password is changed on ComputerB. As I said earlier
that's the nature of P2P networking.

Kerry Brown wrote:

> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_no_spam_here@tropicsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Kerry Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_no_spam_here@tropicsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:#A2s#3VdKHA.5228@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

>>> In a workgroup you have manage the user accounts and password on each
>>> computer yourself. To get a single signon you need to manage the
>>> computers with a central directory. Microsoft's solution to this is
>>> called Active Directory which requires a Windows server be added to
>>> the network.

>> I am using a Workgroup.
>>
>> My point is that I can not seem to tell Windows Vista / Windows
>> Explorer that since the password has changed on ComputerA, it needs on
>> ComputerB to ask me again to supply the password in order to access
>> ComputerA's shared folder.
>>
>> Surely this must be an extremely poor limitation of how Windows Vista
>> and Network Discovery works and of Windows Vista networking in general
>> works. It hardly seems believable that there is not a simple solution
>> to this.

> The simple solution is to change the password on ComputerB to match the
> password on ComputerA.

That is what I was trying to do, but I could not find out how to do it.
I guess I should have made my explanation much simpler by just saying
"How do I change a network sign-on/password in Vista ?"

Finally I noticed in the Control Panel | User Accounts that there is an
item which says 'Manage Your Network Passwords". This allowed me to
correct the password. I was, perhaps foolishly, looking for such an
interface under Network and Sharing Center rather than under User
Accounts. I still think it would be better to place such an item in the
former rather than the latter since it is a Network issue not a User issue.

Evidently I will have to use Vista Help better since subsequently typing
in "network password" gets me to the right place.

> This really isn't a Vista or even a Windows
> limitation. Pretty much all OS's work this way for peer to peer
> networking (i.e. workgroup). Note that in Windows 7 what you want to do
> is possible with the credential manager but it isn't automatic. I don't
> have a Vista computer handy to see if it's possible in Vista. In Vista
> you can do it with mapped drives. Delete the current mapped drive then
> remap it, ticking the box that says something about using a different
> account to connect. You can then specify the account name in the format
> ComputerB\UserName and supply the password that ComputerB requires. Of
> course this will break if at some future point in time the password is
> changed on ComputerB. As I said earlier that's the nature of P2P
> networking.

I wasn't trying to map a drive, just access shared folders.