VPN Question

The Magnet

VPN Question

Hi,

Maybe someone can tell me if I did something wrong?

I am running Vista here at home and XP remotely. I set up a VPN
network connection entry in the XP machine and followed the
instructions at this URL to set up the Vista machine to be the server:

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...P/PPTPVPN.html

I have a BEFSR41 router with all the proper VPN options turned on and
port 1723 forwarded to the Vista machine.

When I connect I enter my username & password. It basically sits at
the verifying username/password box and finally times out. I'm not
running any NAT or anything.

The only difference with regards to that link is that I used my
current user on the Vista machine to connect and did not create a new
one.

Any thoughts? This is very frustrating!
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN Question
What's the VPN error code or error message? Also check the VPN host event
viewer for any error. Or check this search result.

VPN error codeVPN Error 806 - a connection between your computer and the VPN
server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed. VPN
error code 828 ...
www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

On Dec 2, 8:42*am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> What's the VPN error code or error message? Also check the VPN host event
> viewer for any error. Or check this search result.
>
> VPN error codeVPN Error 806 - a connection between your computer and the VPN
> server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed. VPN
> error code 828 ...
> * * *www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "The Magnet" <a...@unsu.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,

> > Maybe someone can tell me if I did something wrong?

> > I am running Vista here at home and XP remotely. *I set up a VPN
> > network connection entry in the XP machine and followed the
> > instructions at this URL to set up the Vista machine to be the server:

> >http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...P/PPTPVPN.html

> > I have a BEFSR41 router with all the proper VPN options turned on and
> > port 1723 forwarded to the Vista machine.

> > When I connect I enter my username & password. *It basically sits at
> > the verifying username/password box and finally times out. *I'm not
> > running any NAT or anything.

> > The only difference with regards to that link is that I used my
> > current user on the Vista machine to connect and did not create a new
> > one.

> > Any thoughts? *This is very frustrating!

The error code is 721, which seems generic. I've seen suggestions to
reset NAT. But I am not running NAT, at least it is disabled in the
router.

FYI: Setup is this:

Gateway --> Modem --> router (internal IP address ith port 1723
forwarded)

The Magnet

Re: VPN Question
On Dec 2, 9:05*am, The Magnet <a...@unsu.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 8:42*am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
> wrote:
>

> > What's the VPN error code or error message? Also check the VPN host event
> > viewer for any error. Or check this search result.

> > VPN error codeVPN Error 806 - a connection between your computer and the VPN
> > server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed.VPN
> > error code 828 ...
> > * * *www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm

> > --
> > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > "The Magnet" <a...@unsu.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi,

> > > Maybe someone can tell me if I did something wrong?

> > > I am running Vista here at home and XP remotely. *I set up a VPN
> > > network connection entry in the XP machine and followed the
> > > instructions at this URL to set up the Vista machine to be the server:

> > >http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...P/PPTPVPN.html

> > > I have a BEFSR41 router with all the proper VPN options turned on and
> > > port 1723 forwarded to the Vista machine.

> > > When I connect I enter my username & password. *It basically sits at
> > > the verifying username/password box and finally times out. *I'm not
> > > running any NAT or anything.

> > > The only difference with regards to that link is that I used my
> > > current user on the Vista machine to connect and did not create a new
> > > one.

> > > Any thoughts? *This is very frustrating!

> The error code is 721, which seems generic. * I've seen suggestions to
> reset NAT. *But I am not running NAT, at least it is disabled in the
> router.
>
> FYI: *Setup is this:
>
> Gateway *--> *Modem *--> *router (internal IP address ith port 1723
> forwarded)

And something else, are there some settings I may be missing in the
router? I have all the VPN options enabled. But, could I be missing
some remote access option or something? Do you know if the Linksys
routers have that?
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN Question
BEFSR41 is VPN router. It should work. In most cases, VPN error is port
issue. Can you telnet port 1723? If you use Windows VPN, you may want to
disable the router VPN. Also you may check if there is a new firmware for
the outer. This search result may help too. Please post back with the
result.

Case Studies - VPN error 721 and 800Case Studies - VPN error 721 and 800.
Case 1: When a user attempts to access the Windows VPN server that is behind
a Linksys WRT54G, he receives VPN Error ...
www.chicagotech.net/VPN/vpncase800.htm

--

On Dec 2, 9:05 am, The Magnet <a...@unsu.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 8:42 am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
> wrote:
>

> > What's the VPN error code or error message? Also check the VPN host
> > event
> > viewer for any error. Or check this search result.

> > VPN error codeVPN Error 806 - a connection between your computer and the
> > VPN
> > server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed.
> > VPN
> > error code 828 ...
> > www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm

> > --
> > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting
> > onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access
> > onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > "The Magnet" <a...@unsu.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi,

> > > Maybe someone can tell me if I did something wrong?

> > > I am running Vista here at home and XP remotely. I set up a VPN
> > > network connection entry in the XP machine and followed the
> > > instructions at this URL to set up the Vista machine to be the server:

> > >http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...P/PPTPVPN.html

> > > I have a BEFSR41 router with all the proper VPN options turned on and
> > > port 1723 forwarded to the Vista machine.

> > > When I connect I enter my username & password. It basically sits at
> > > the verifying username/password box and finally times out. I'm not
> > > running any NAT or anything.

> > > The only difference with regards to that link is that I used my
> > > current user on the Vista machine to connect and did not create a new
> > > one.

> > > Any thoughts? This is very frustrating!

> The error code is 721, which seems generic. I've seen suggestions to
> reset NAT. But I am not running NAT, at least it is disabled in the
> router.
>
> FYI: Setup is this:
>
> Gateway --> Modem --> router (internal IP address ith port 1723
> forwarded)

And something else, are there some settings I may be missing in the
router? I have all the VPN options enabled. But, could I be missing
some remote access option or something? Do you know if the Linksys
routers have that?

smlunatick

Re: VPN Question
On Dec 2, 8:39*pm, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> BEFSR41 is VPN router. It should work. In most cases, VPN error is port
> issue. Can you telnet port 1723? If you use Windows VPN, you may want to
> disable the router VPN. Also you may check if there is a new firmware for
> the outer. This search result may help too. Please post back with the
> result.
>
> Case Studies - VPN error 721 and 800Case Studies - VPN error 721 and 800.
> Case 1: When a user attempts to access the Windows VPN server that is behind
> a Linksys WRT54G, he receives VPN Error ...
> * * *www.chicagotech.net/VPN/vpncase800.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "The Magnet" <a...@unsu.com> wrote in message

> On Dec 2, 9:05 am, The Magnet <a...@unsu.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 2, 8:42 am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
> > wrote:

> > > What's the VPN error code or error message? Also check the VPN host
> > > event
> > > viewer for any error. Or check this search result.

> > > VPN error codeVPN Error 806 - a connection between your computer and the
> > > VPN
> > > server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed.
> > > VPN
> > > error code 828 ...
> > >www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm

> > > --
> > > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting
> > > onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access
> > > onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > > "The Magnet" <a...@unsu.com> wrote in message

> > The error code is 721, which seems generic. I've seen suggestions to
> > reset NAT. But I am not running NAT, at least it is disabled in the
> > router.

> > FYI: Setup is this:

> > Gateway --> Modem --> router (internal IP address ith port 1723
> > forwarded)

> And something else, are there some settings I may be missing in the
> router? *I have all the VPN options enabled. *But, could I be missing
> some remote access option or something? *Do you know if the Linksys
> routers have that?

Linksys VPN routers tend to not answer the Microsoft VPN - PPTP
requests. They mainly do Linksys' version of IPSec.

Also, you may need to check to see if the "destination" router will
"allow VPN" or "PPTP" "passthorough" settings as it is not the router
that is the destination point for the VPN requests.