Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet

geniusoflvb

Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I set
up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it onto
the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
Unidentified Network.

I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on line
and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
Can they ping each other? Or posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:223446D9-9C80-47CE-B7AA-6E1EC9493E2F@microsoft.com...
A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I set
up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it onto
the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
Unidentified Network.

I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on line
and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?
geniusoflvb

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
Robert,

The problem relates to Vista Business on the Dell XPS. The other three
machines purchased at the same time had Ultimate (2) and home premium (1) on
them and thay are all fine. Dell tell me that it would be best to have
ordered Ultimate for the machine so I was advised by Tech Support to return
the notebook cancelling that order and reordering the same machine with
Ultimate. Dell Sales say this can't be done as it was a business order. So
I'm left having to pay the full price for Ultimate which I'm not prepared to
do.

Is there a way to have Business edition join my home network and other
networks when travelling or is this the wrong version. If it is the wrong
version, why can't I upgrade to Ultimate from Business for a much lower price
either from Dell or Microsoft direct?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Can they ping each other? Or posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:223446D9-9C80-47CE-B7AA-6E1EC9493E2F@microsoft.com...
> A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I set
> up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
> Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it onto
> the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
> network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
> either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
> Unidentified Network.
>
> I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
> notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on line
> and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?

Dyawlak

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
if they can see the network but dont join in it - another possibility is
duplicate names - check the event logs for the machines not joining and see
if any further info can be found in there
"geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I
>set
> up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
> Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it
> onto
> the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
> network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
> either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
> Unidentified Network.
>
> I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
> notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on
> line
> and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
Do you have a domain network? Any way, you don't need to join a network to access the network. The key is you have the username to access the network resources. This search result may help,

workgroup networking faqsHow can I use domain laptop to access a peer-to-peer network. My W2K pro laptop is in the work domain and W2K pro home PC is in a workgroup. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/workgroupnet.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F0CC673-501A-44B9-9A09-8EA7709D05EE@microsoft.com...
Robert,

The problem relates to Vista Business on the Dell XPS. The other three
machines purchased at the same time had Ultimate (2) and home premium (1) on
them and thay are all fine. Dell tell me that it would be best to have
ordered Ultimate for the machine so I was advised by Tech Support to return
the notebook cancelling that order and reordering the same machine with
Ultimate. Dell Sales say this can't be done as it was a business order. So
I'm left having to pay the full price for Ultimate which I'm not prepared to
do.

Is there a way to have Business edition join my home network and other
networks when travelling or is this the wrong version. If it is the wrong
version, why can't I upgrade to Ultimate from Business for a much lower price
either from Dell or Microsoft direct?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Can they ping each other? Or posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:223446D9-9C80-47CE-B7AA-6E1EC9493E2F@microsoft.com...
> A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I set
> up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
> Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it onto
> the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
> network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
> either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
> Unidentified Network.
>
> I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
> notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on line
> and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?

geniusoflvb

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
I'm still having a problem conneting the Vista Business notebook to any
network. I have taken the Dell M1210 to my home and it still won't connect
through my router.
Ipconfig /all shows the Ethernet adapter LAN Autoconfiguration IPv4 addresss
as 169.254.253.139(Preferred) which seems bizarre to me.
At home I'm on a Mac. My client, whose M1210 this is has all Dell's and the
three with Vista Ultimate or Vista Home Premium all connect to the Internet
and each other with no problem. Vista Business doesn't want to know though.
Can anyone suggest a solution?

"Dyawlak" wrote:

> if they can see the network but dont join in it - another possibility is
> duplicate names - check the event logs for the machines not joining and see
> if any further info can be found in there
> "geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I
> >set
> > up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
> > Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it
> > onto
> > the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
> > network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
> > either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
> > Unidentified Network.
> >
> > I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
> > notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on
> > line
> > and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?

geniusoflvb

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
In ipconfig /all the Ethernet adapater LAN Autoconfiguration IPv4 IP address
is 169.254.253.139(Preferred). What is this? Autoconfiguration?
I have taken this Dell XPS M1210 to my home where I have a router and it
won't see this network either. So it doesn't see networks at my clients or at
my home. I suspect this Autoconfiguration is the problem. It is Vista
Business on this notebook - all the other machines the client has are dells
with Ultimate or Home Premium and there is no problem.
This machine can see the wireless network but it won't allow me to use it.
Any help is appreciated.

"Dyawlak" wrote:

> if they can see the network but dont join in it - another possibility is
> duplicate names - check the event logs for the machines not joining and see
> if any further info can be found in there
> "geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I
> >set
> > up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
> > Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it
> > onto
> > the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
> > network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
> > either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
> > Unidentified Network.
> >
> > I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
> > notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on
> > line
> > and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?

geniusoflvb

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
Solution found at

"geniusoflvb" wrote:

> In ipconfig /all the Ethernet adapater LAN Autoconfiguration IPv4 IP address
> is 169.254.253.139(Preferred). What is this? Autoconfiguration?
> I have taken this Dell XPS M1210 to my home where I have a router and it
> won't see this network either. So it doesn't see networks at my clients or at
> my home. I suspect this Autoconfiguration is the problem. It is Vista
> Business on this notebook - all the other machines the client has are dells
> with Ultimate or Home Premium and there is no problem.
> This machine can see the wireless network but it won't allow me to use it.
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> "Dyawlak" wrote:
>
> > if they can see the network but dont join in it - another possibility is
> > duplicate names - check the event logs for the machines not joining and see
> > if any further info can be found in there
> > "geniusoflvb" <geniusoflvb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >A client of mine has just bought 2 new desktops and two new notebooks. I
> > >set
> > > up the Dimension 9200 with no problem and it is on the Internet through a
> > > Netgear router. I started working on the XPS noteboo and I cannot get it
> > > onto
> > > the Internet either through a wire or wirelessly. It sees the wireless
> > > network's SSID but won't connect to it. Using a wire it doesn't connect
> > > either. The Network name on the 9200 is Network. On the XPS it says
> > > Unidentified Network.
> > >
> > > I'm going back tomorrow to see about the other desktop and the other
> > > notebook to see if thise can get online. Also I have to get the XPS on
> > > line
> > > and network sharing. Any idea what my problem might be?

geniusoflvb

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
The above solution does not work.

The Windows Vista Business PC computer because it could not find the
network. has been updated to Vista Ultimate BUT it has not resolved the
problem.
The suggestions in the KB article did not work so I examined the Registry in
the PCs that worked and the ones that didn't and there were discrepancies.

Then I moved the PC with Windows Vista Home Premium to a new location
connecting through a switch to the router and suddenly it acted like the XPS
and could not find the network. Moving it back to the connection through the
router and the problem disappeared. In the former, the registry enteries were
not the same as the PCs that connected and in the latter situation they were
the same.

So I'm pretty sure the problem is being caused by the fact that APIPA kicks
in in just 6 seconds which is not enough time for the router and switch to
find an IP address so APIPA sets the IP address as 169.254.56.80 when the
network needs 192.168.0.x

Does anyone know how to turn off APIPA in Vista, please?

geniusoflvb

Re: Dell XPS will not connect to the Internet
The problem with the Vista Business machine has been resolved - reinstalled
Business and networking worked. Subsequently updated it to Ultimate. Now Home
Premium PC is a problem.

My client has 4 PCs - 3 with Vista Ultimate and 1 with Vista Home Premium.
All 4 will connect to Internet and Network when plugged directly into the
router.

However, two of these PCs are to be located in the house so will connect to
the router as follows:

PC - Ethernet wall plug - Patch Panel - Switch - Router.

At this point, the PC with Vista Ultimate has no problem connecting to the
same network as it did when it was connected to the router directly. Indeed I
tried the Vista Ultimate PCs on the same Ethernet wall plug using the same
cable and they both had no problem. The PC with Vista Home Premium though
using the same wall plug and cable will not see the network at all. It uses
the IP address 169.254.118.107 and despite tweaking the registry as per

it has no effect at all.

Can anyone suggest a solution other than upgrading Home Premium to Ultimate
at a cost of $159?

I did speak to Microsoft and the fellow I spoke to did admit that he thought
there was a problem in Home Premium that was not in Ultimate regarding
networking.

I have tried re-installing the operating system at Dell's suggestion but
that is all they come up with claiming that they are not trained to provide
networking support.