Media Streaming

Endulini

Media Streaming
Hi Everyone,

I am using a NAS for storing all my media files (photos, DVDs, music etc)
and was interested in the possibilty of using this drive to stream the info
around my house but all the systems I can find rely on a PC to at least
facilitate this. Are there any systems that would be able to read the NAS
directly on need the PC to be on?

Also are there any systems that would take the signal from my rooftop aerial
and stream that back to the PC/NAS so that I could effectively use the
PC/NAS as a PVR (the PC has a TV tuner card but the reception on it's local
aerial is rubbish and the rooftop one is much better)?

Cheers

rak

Re: Media Streaming
Is the nas dlna certified? What os are you using?

"Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
newsE1298FE-EA9D-45C9-A04C-FB5DC884A304@microsoft.com...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am using a NAS for storing all my media files (photos, DVDs, music etc)
> and was interested in the possibilty of using this drive to stream the
> info around my house but all the systems I can find rely on a PC to at
> least facilitate this. Are there any systems that would be able to read
> the NAS directly on need the PC to be on?
>
> Also are there any systems that would take the signal from my rooftop
> aerial and stream that back to the PC/NAS so that I could effectively use
> the PC/NAS as a PVR (the PC has a TV tuner card but the reception on it's
> local aerial is rubbish and the rooftop one is much better)?
>
> Cheers

Endulini

Re: Media Streaming

"rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote in message
> Is the nas dlna certified? What os are you using?
>
> "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
> newsE1298FE-EA9D-45C9-A04C-FB5DC884A304@microsoft.com...
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am using a NAS for storing all my media files (photos, DVDs, music etc)
>> and was interested in the possibilty of using this drive to stream the
>> info around my house but all the systems I can find rely on a PC to at
>> least facilitate this. Are there any systems that would be able to read
>> the NAS directly on need the PC to be on?
>>
>> Also are there any systems that would take the signal from my rooftop
>> aerial and stream that back to the PC/NAS so that I could effectively use
>> the PC/NAS as a PVR (the PC has a TV tuner card but the reception on it's
>> local aerial is rubbish and the rooftop one is much better)?
>>
>> Cheers

Vista Home Premium and yes the NAS is dlna certified.

Thanks

rak

Re: Media Streaming
Using the nas to store pvr info should be an easy one. Just use media
center and set the nas as the default storage location. As far as streaming
from the nas, I'm not sure what you want to stream to, but anything that is
also dlna certified (1.5 I think) should recognize the nas.

"Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
news6228735-35C9-4DFB-8DBE-C59EF4A34EF3@microsoft.com...

> "rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Is the nas dlna certified? What os are you using?
>>
>> "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
>> newsE1298FE-EA9D-45C9-A04C-FB5DC884A304@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am using a NAS for storing all my media files (photos, DVDs, music
>>> etc) and was interested in the possibilty of using this drive to stream
>>> the info around my house but all the systems I can find rely on a PC to
>>> at least facilitate this. Are there any systems that would be able to
>>> read the NAS directly on need the PC to be on?
>>>
>>> Also are there any systems that would take the signal from my rooftop
>>> aerial and stream that back to the PC/NAS so that I could effectively
>>> use the PC/NAS as a PVR (the PC has a TV tuner card but the reception on
>>> it's local aerial is rubbish and the rooftop one is much better)?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

> Vista Home Premium and yes the NAS is dlna certified.
>
> Thanks

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Streaming
even if it is certified, it may not be 1.5 certified. check for a firmware
update. which NAS box do you have?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:05:02 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:

>Vista Home Premium and yes the NAS is dlna certified.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
Endulini

Re: Media Streaming

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> even if it is certified, it may not be 1.5 certified. check for a firmware
> update. which NAS box do you have?
>
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:05:02 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:
>
>>Vista Home Premium and yes the NAS is dlna certified.

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Buffalo Linkstation Live 1TB

rak

Re: Media Streaming
Not inexpensive, but you might want to look at this blue ray player.

http://gizmodo.com/5255151/lg-bd390-...rget-about-blu

"Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
newsE1298FE-EA9D-45C9-A04C-FB5DC884A304@microsoft.com...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am using a NAS for storing all my media files (photos, DVDs, music etc)
> and was interested in the possibilty of using this drive to stream the
> info around my house but all the systems I can find rely on a PC to at
> least facilitate this. Are there any systems that would be able to read
> the NAS directly on need the PC to be on?
>
> Also are there any systems that would take the signal from my rooftop
> aerial and stream that back to the PC/NAS so that I could effectively use
> the PC/NAS as a PVR (the PC has a TV tuner card but the reception on it's
> local aerial is rubbish and the rooftop one is much better)?
>
> Cheers

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Streaming
there are a couple of versions listed on
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/ and I do see a download
mentioning Windows 7 compatibility. Which may mean 1.5. I know I updated a
Netgear NAS and after the update both Windows 7 and my Samsung TV could see it
and stream content.

However the Live TV streaming is a different issue. There isn't anything in
Windows that would let you use the NAS as a live tv server.

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:01:05 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:

>Buffalo Linkstation Live 1TB

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
rak

Re: Media Streaming
I understand the developer or webguide is now working for Microsoft. I
loved that in vista. Wonder if it will come to Windows 7.

> there are a couple of versions listed on
> http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/ and I do see a
> download
> mentioning Windows 7 compatibility. Which may mean 1.5. I know I updated a
> Netgear NAS and after the update both Windows 7 and my Samsung TV could
> see it
> and stream content.
>
> However the Live TV streaming is a different issue. There isn't anything
> in
> Windows that would let you use the NAS as a live tv server.
>
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:01:05 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:
>
>>Buffalo Linkstation Live 1TB

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Barb Bowman

Re: Media Streaming
A lot of people have wondered about this. And have asked for this functionality.