Connection Keeps Dropping and Network Discovery turns itself off

Endulini

Connection Keeps Dropping and Network Discovery turns itself off
Hi All,

My connection keeps dropping every once in a while and my computer keeps
turning off network discovery. I'm not sure that the two events are linked
but it smells kind of fishy to me. On an IT colleague's suggestion I tried
disabling the uPnP setting on my router although this doesn't seem to have
helped. The dodgy connection I thought might be due to the microfilters but
I'm not convinced it's them either as it only happens with one computer on
my network.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connection Keeps Dropping and Network Discovery turns itself off
This issue could be caused by the Public network type or security software.
Suggestions

1. check the network type.
2. try clean boot.

Or check this post: Vista keeps losing network -
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...php?f=1&t=8370

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My connection keeps dropping every once in a while and my computer keeps
> turning off network discovery. I'm not sure that the two events are linked
> but it smells kind of fishy to me. On an IT colleague's suggestion I tried
> disabling the uPnP setting on my router although this doesn't seem to have
> helped. The dodgy connection I thought might be due to the microfilters
> but I'm not convinced it's them either as it only happens with one
> computer on my network.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

igotsaurus

Re: Connection Keeps Dropping and Network Discovery turns itself off
I have seen this with wireless Vista units from many manufacturers, both 32
and 64 bit.
In my sad experience one Vista wireless unit will drop its connection to the
router and nothing short of rebooting the router solves the problem. In the
meanwhile a mix of wired/wireless XP and Vista units are networking
seamlessly through the router.
Good luck.