I think I need a NAT solution... right???

MrGibbage

I think I need a NAT solution... right???
I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC that stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP webcams for home security and they have built in webservers, but they can only run on port 80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I can think of is to set up a port forwarding rule in the router to forward requests such as mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or mydyndns.org:12342 for camera two etc to the 24/7 PC. I could run NAT on that PC looking for those specific requests and forward them again to the correct camera. I have looked and looked and cannot find and free/open source windows NAT software out there.

Is there another solution out there? Am I making it too hard? Does anyone know of a good NAT solution for Wondows XP?

Best Regards,
Skip

John John - MVP

Re: I think I need a NAT solution... right???
I might be missing something but how can you browse the internet if your
ISP is blocking port 80? This is the primary HTTP port...

John

MrGibbage wrote:
> I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC that stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP webcams for home security and they have built in webservers, but they can only run on port 80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I can think of is to set up a port forwarding rule in the router to forward requests such as mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or mydyndns.org:12342 for camera two etc to the 24/7 PC. I could run NAT on that PC looking for those specific requests and forward them again to the correct camera. I have looked and looked and cannot find and free/open source windows NAT software out there.
>
> Is there another solution out there? Am I making it too hard? Does anyone know of a good NAT solution for Wondows XP?
>
> Best Regards,
> Skip
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Michael Walraven

Re: I think I need a NAT solution... right???
My ISP (Verizon - FIOS) blocks port 80 going to the user, coming from the
use is not blocked. It seemed that Verizon wants to prevent a residential
user from being a server.
(Haven't check recently that this is still the case, it came up when I
wanted to test creating a server with IIS, had to use port 8080 instead)

If I remember correctly:

I used DynDNS to convert name:80 to my IP address:8080,
then use the router to convert 8080 -> 80,
details on how I did that are now fuzzy however

OP wants to have 2 servers, don't think what I did would work for two
servers.

Michael

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
> I might be missing something but how can you browse the internet if your
> ISP is blocking port 80? This is the primary HTTP port...
>
> John
>
> MrGibbage wrote:
>> I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC that
>> stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP webcams for
>> home security and they have built in webservers, but they can only run on
>> port 80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I can think of is to set
>> up a port forwarding rule in the router to forward requests such as
>> mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or mydyndns.org:12342 for camera two
>> etc to the 24/7 PC. I could run NAT on that PC looking for those
>> specific requests and forward them again to the correct camera. I have
>> looked and looked and cannot find and free/open source windows NAT
>> software out there.
>>
>> Is there another solution out there? Am I making it too hard? Does
>> anyone know of a good NAT solution for Wondows XP?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Skip
>>

>> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

John John - MVP

Re: I think I need a NAT solution... right???
I see. Thanks for the information.

John

Michael Walraven wrote:
> My ISP (Verizon - FIOS) blocks port 80 going to the user, coming from
> the use is not blocked. It seemed that Verizon wants to prevent a
> residential user from being a server.
> (Haven't check recently that this is still the case, it came up when I
> wanted to test creating a server with IIS, had to use port 8080 instead)
>
> If I remember correctly:
>
> I used DynDNS to convert name:80 to my IP address:8080,
> then use the router to convert 8080 -> 80,
> details on how I did that are now fuzzy however
>

> OP wants to have 2 servers, don't think what I did would work for two
> servers.
>
> Michael
>

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> I might be missing something but how can you browse the internet if
>> your ISP is blocking port 80? This is the primary HTTP port...
>>
>> John
>>
>> MrGibbage wrote:
>>> I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC
>>> that stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP
>>> webcams for home security and they have built in webservers, but they
>>> can only run on port 80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I
>>> can think of is to set up a port forwarding rule in the router to
>>> forward requests such as mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or
>>> mydyndns.org:12342 for camera two etc to the 24/7 PC. I could run
>>> NAT on that PC looking for those specific requests and forward them
>>> again to the correct camera. I have looked and looked and cannot
>>> find and free/open source windows NAT software out there.
>>>
>>> Is there another solution out there? Am I making it too hard? Does
>>> anyone know of a good NAT solution for Wondows XP?
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Skip
>>>

>>> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: I think I need a NAT solution... right???
Hi
I the camera send the info via port 80 it is blocked by the ISP and does not
reach to you, so there is nothing that you can do on side to get in
something that is Not existing. Most DNS services provides port redirect
(no-ip.com is an example). I.e any signal that comes to their server from
the outside ion port 80 can be redirected redirect to port 1234 (as an
example) before it reaches the WAN side of the Router
All you have to do is portfoward in the Router port 1234 toward the IP of
the computer that follows up the camera.
This should not effect your regular surfing since regular port 80 action
does not go to your DNS service.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"MrGibbage" wrote in message news:esjVh%23RbKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I am on Cox HS internet, using DynDNS. WRT54G router. I have a PC that
>stays on 24/7 (windows XP). I am trying to set up some IP webcams for home
>security and they have built in webservers, but they can only run on port
>80. Cox blocks port 80. The only solution I can think of is to set up a
>port forwarding rule in the router to forward requests such as
>mydyndns.org:12341 for camera one or mydyndns.org:12342 for camera two etc
>to the 24/7 PC. I could run NAT on that PC looking for those specific
>requests and forward them again to the correct camera. I have looked and
>looked and cannot find and free/open source windows NAT software out there.
>
> Is there another solution out there? Am I making it too hard? Does
> anyone know of a good NAT solution for Wondows XP?
>
> Best Regards,
> Skip
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Bill Kearney

Re: I think I need a NAT solution... right???
> Is there another solution out there?

Just do the port forwarding on the router. Forward port 12341 to internal
IP address 1.2.3.4 on port 80. Then setup another rule forwarding port
12342 to internal IP 1.2.3.5 on port 80. The router will do it. The
internal PCs will see the traffic as only coming into port 80. No need to
set up or change anything on the PCs.

It's very common for ISPs to block *incoming* traffic on certain ports.
Typically 80, 25 and some others. Usually with the purpose of blocking use
of residential connections for hosting servers. Most ISPs require using a
'business' account for that sort of thing. It's usually an option available
at a residential location, but at a greatly inflated price. Blocking the
incoming traffic will have no effect whatsoever on *outgoing* traffic on the
same ports. TCP connections don't use the same inbound port as the outbound
request.

-Bill Kearney

Bill Kearney

Re: I think I need a NAT solution... right???
> I the camera send the info via port 80 it is blocked by the ISP and does
> not reach to you, so there is nothing that you can do on side to get in
> something that is Not existing.

What?

If what you're trying to say is if the ISP blocks a port there's nothing you
can do to use it, yes that's correct.

> Most DNS services provides port redirect (no-ip.com is an example).

Not usually as part of their free services, however. You pay extra for it.

>I.e any signal that comes to their server from the outside ion port 80 can
>be redirected redirect to port 1234 (as an example) before it reaches the
>WAN side of the Router

Don't know how well redirection like this works for streaming connections
from things like webcams.

> All you have to do is portfoward in the Router port 1234 toward the IP of
> the computer that follows up the camera.

If he can live with knowing to use the port himself there's no need to use a
redirection service.

> This should not effect your regular surfing since regular port 80 action
> does not go to your DNS service.

It's a bit misleading to equate web port redirection with DNS services.
They're not the same thing. Port redirection does depend upon a DNS lookup
having taken place, this is true. But port redirection itself is not a
function of DNS.

-Bill