How to create multiple dial-up conections ??

Jay Somerset

How to create multiple dial-up conections ??
How do you create multiple dialup conection in Vista? When i try and
create a second one, it overwrites the first one. It is really
anoying to have to receate one each time I want to dial up to a
different ISP.

What have I overlooked? I can't believe Vista limits you to only a
single "connectoid:.
---
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Jay Somerset

How do you create multiple dial-up "conectoids" in Vista??

How do you create multiple dialup conections in Vista? When I try and
create a second one, it overwrites the first one. It is really
anoying to have to receate one each time I want to dial up to a
different ISP. (I travel, and therefore need different dialup
parameters, depending on my location.)

What have I overlooked? I can't believe Vista limits you to only a
single "connectoid:.
---
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: How to create multiple dial-up conections ??
"Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do you create multiple dialup conection in Vista? When i try and
> create a second one, it overwrites the first one. It is really
> anoying to have to receate one each time I want to dial up to a
> different ISP.
>
> What have I overlooked? I can't believe Vista limits you to only a
> single "connectoid:.
> ---
> Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

Have you seen this?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...921611033.mspx

You are giving the second connection a unique name correct? Also make sure
you skip the connection test when it tries to connect...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

PhilT

Re: How do you create multiple dial-up "conectoids" in Vista??

> How do you create multiple dialup conections in Vista? When I try and
> create a second one, it overwrites the first one. It is really
> anoying to have to receate one each time I want to dial up to a
> different ISP. (I travel, and therefore need different dialup
> parameters, depending on my location.)
>
> What have I overlooked? I can't believe Vista limits you to only a
> single "connectoid:.

you can add several. One way to do it is to create one and connect with it
then go to Internet Explorer - Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab and
use the "Add" button to the right of the connections window to create a
second connection. You will need to skip the actual "connect now" phase if
you're already on line. Don't forget to give them unique names.

Phil

Jay Somerset

Re: How do you create multiple dial-up "conectoids" in Vista??
On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:17:42 +0100, "PhilT" <cynical_observer@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> "Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > How do you create multiple dialup conections in Vista? When I try and
> > create a second one, it overwrites the first one. It is really
> > anoying to have to receate one each time I want to dial up to a
> > different ISP. (I travel, and therefore need different dialup
> > parameters, depending on my location.)
> >
> > What have I overlooked? I can't believe Vista limits you to only a
> > single "connectoid:.

> you can add several. One way to do it is to create one and connect with it
> then go to Internet Explorer - Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab and
> use the "Add" button to the right of the connections window to create a
> second connection. You will need to skip the actual "connect now" phase if
> you're already on line. Don't forget to give them unique names.
>
> Phil

Thanks. I'll try that.

Another example of MS forcing you to use their browser to do normal setup
tasks. This facility used to be available in Start:Settings:Networking &
Dialup Connextions. Now it is not.
--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
dev

/Jay Somerset/ said:

> On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:17:42 +0100, "PhilT" <cynical_observer@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> How do you create multiple dialup conections in Vista? When I try and
>>> create a second one, it overwrites the first one. It is really
>>> anoying to have to receate one each time I want to dial up to a
>>> different ISP. (I travel, and therefore need different dialup
>>> parameters, depending on my location.)
>>>
>>> What have I overlooked? I can't believe Vista limits you to only a
>>> single "connectoid:.

>> you can add several. One way to do it is to create one and connect with it
>> then go to Internet Explorer - Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab and
>> use the "Add" button to the right of the connections window to create a
>> second connection. You will need to skip the actual "connect now" phase if
>> you're already on line. Don't forget to give them unique names.

> Another example of MS forcing you to use their browser to do normal setup
> tasks. This facility used to be available in Start:Settings:Networking &
> Dialup Connextions. Now it is not.

Control Panel|NETWORK SHARING & CONNECTION CENTER

Set Up a connection or network (at the left), then click on the 1st
choice offered.
Jay Somerset

On Tue, 08 May 2007 19:56:51 -0700, dev <dev@null.invalid> wrote:

> /Jay Somerset/ said:
>
> > On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:17:42 +0100, "PhilT" <cynical_observer@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> "Jay Somerset" <jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> you can add several. One way to do it is to create one and connect with it
> >> then go to Internet Explorer - Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab and
> >> use the "Add" button to the right of the connections window to create a
> >> second connection. You will need to skip the actual "connect now" phase if
> >> you're already on line. Don't forget to give them unique names.

> > Another example of MS forcing you to use their browser to do normal setup
> > tasks. This facility used to be available in Start:Settings:Networking &
> > Dialup Connextions. Now it is not.

> Control Panel|NETWORK SHARING & CONNECTION CENTER
>
> Set Up a connection or network (at the left), then click on the 1st
> choice offered.

I have always gone to the more logical "Set up a dialup connection" (last
choice) which doesn't let you add a new one. The choice you identified
does.

Thanks for the tip!