Cannot View Computers on Network

HankL

Cannot View Computers on Network
This computer is on Windows VISTA
When I select Network icon on my desktop in Office Computer (name of one of
my computers) so that I can see the other computers on my Network system,
they are not visible including Office Computer.
I have 3 computers at home. I can see all computers on the other two
computers. I am using MSHOME as my workgroup and all computers are set for
this.
I believe there may be a problem in the registry and not quite certain where
to look.

All computers can communicate with each other as an example when I am
synching info from one computer to another.

It has always worked in the past with no difficulties.

Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions,

HankL

David Webb

Re: Cannot View Computers on Network
Just by chance, if the other two computers are running Windows XP, try this:

Check the network properties list in the WinXP systems for a component called
the
Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder. If the LLTD Responder component
is not installed on the Windows XP-based computers they most likely won't be
seen in Vista's Network Map.

Here's a link to an MS fix for the WinXP systems. Note, if they're up to SP3,
the
readily downloadable version (fix v5) probably won't to anything but say that
it's not needed, so then simply request the hotfix patch (fix v6) and apply it
to the
WinXP-SP3 systems.

You must request the hotfix from MS. The how-to information is contained within
the KB article. It will be supplied as a zip file with a time limited password.
After you extract the hotfix patch, simply run it in place on each Win XP
computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

Good luck!

"HankL" <hlaskin@bendbroadband.com> wrote in message
> This computer is on Windows VISTA
> When I select Network icon on my desktop in Office Computer (name of one of my
> computers) so that I can see the other computers on my Network system, they
> are not visible including Office Computer.
> I have 3 computers at home. I can see all computers on the other two
> computers. I am using MSHOME as my workgroup and all computers are set for
> this.
> I believe there may be a problem in the registry and not quite certain where
> to look.
>
> All computers can communicate with each other as an example when I am synching
> info from one computer to another.
>
> It has always worked in the past with no difficulties.
>

> Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions,
>
> HankL

igotsaurus

Re: Cannot View Computers on Network
The problem you are experiencing is on the Vista unit and you should not
change any settings on the other machines.
You will be sorry if you do.
All XP and Vista machines may not properly show the other computers on the
network under the circumstances you describe even if they are sharing data
appropriately. This is a common problem in Windows networking.
Microsoft's point of view is that there is no problem as long as you can
share files. Microsoft will inevitably say it is some non-Microsoft software
that is causing your problem.
Simply rebooting may solve your problem. Logging on and off the network or
refreshing network settings will rarely solve the problem.
If the balking Vista unit is connected by Ethernet you can delete and
reconfigure your network settings. Clearly this will also require a reboot.
If the balking Vista unit is wireless, in my experience Vista wireless
connections are inherently unstable compared to XP regardless of hardware
manufacturer, resetting the router may solve your problems regardless of
whether other wireless units are connecting to the network properly.

HankL

Re: Cannot View Computers on Network
Thanks for the info.

I am on Ethernet connection.
Could you suggest to me the steps to delete and reconfigure network
settings?
Just as a point of information and not sure if it has any effect, my O/S is
Vista 64 bit

Thanks ahead of time

HankL