Limited connectivity after failed un-install of Norton 360

Peter Smithson

Limited connectivity after failed un-install of Norton 360
Hi,

A friends Vista PC has been working fine for months. Then she
attempted to un-install Norton 360 and install Norton 2010. Since
then, she has the limited connectivity problem.

She's un-installed 2010 but 360 still appears in the add/remove
programs. If you click on it, it says there's a missing path.

With either wireless or a cable connection, it fails to get a proper
IP address from the router. Another PC on the network still works
fine.

My theory is that some system file of Norton's is still in there
somewhere trying to intercept network traffic and screwing things up.
I've tried following trouble shooting guides for the general limited
connectivity problem and none helped (I know the router works fine
with Vista and everything has been re-booted and this has been going
on for weeks).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Peter.
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Limited connectivity after failed un-install of Norton 360
You may want to use Norton removal tool to uninstall Norton. This post may
help.
Can't access sharing because of Norton
6 posts - 1 author - Last post: Oct 30
How do i remove/uninstall Norton security scan from computer? Norton
security scan installs with the new Java Installation. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1667

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Peter Smithson" <Peter_Smithson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A friends Vista PC has been working fine for months. Then she
> attempted to un-install Norton 360 and install Norton 2010. Since
> then, she has the limited connectivity problem.
>
> She's un-installed 2010 but 360 still appears in the add/remove
> programs. If you click on it, it says there's a missing path.
>
> With either wireless or a cable connection, it fails to get a proper
> IP address from the router. Another PC on the network still works
> fine.
>
> My theory is that some system file of Norton's is still in there
> somewhere trying to intercept network traffic and screwing things up.
> I've tried following trouble shooting guides for the general limited
> connectivity problem and none helped (I know the router works fine
> with Vista and everything has been re-booted and this has been going
> on for weeks).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter.

Peter Smithson

Re: Limited connectivity after failed un-install of Norton 360
On Nov 16, 2:20*pm, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> You may want to use Norton removal tool to uninstall Norton. This post may
> help.

Bob - you were dead right. I managed to find that tool later when I
had time to do some more searching and now the laptop can access the
network.

Just got to sort out the malware that's got onto it now!

Thanks.

Peter.
smlunatick

On Nov 16, 7:38*pm, Peter Smithson <Peter_Smith...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2:20*pm, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
> wrote:
>
> > You may want to use Norton removal tool to uninstall Norton. This post may
> > help.

> Bob - you were dead right. *I managed to find that tool later when I
> had time to do some more searching and now the laptop can access the
> network.
>
> Just got to sort out the malware that's got onto it now!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter.

Since this past May, I have placed most Norton security tools into the
malware category. Norton Internet Security 2009 cause my XP to crash
and their on-line support rendered it to a point that only a repair re-
install could fix my issues.
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Limited connectivity after failed un-install of Norton 360
Thank you for the update.