disable automatic search for shared printers

tricky300

disable automatic search for shared printers

On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to
enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers. I cannot
find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.

Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers
The network arrangements work differently in different version of the OS'
Why you need this in Vista?
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
> On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to
> enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers. I
> cannot
> find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

tricky300

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers
Hello Jack

From your question I assume that you believe it is good practice to allow
all users access to all shared printers! Well, if that is your view, I have
to say that in our environment (SBS2003 with Vista business clients) I do not
believe that to be good practice or even desirable. Nonetheless, unless you
or somebody else can answer my question that is what we are stuck with.

Tricky

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> The network arrangements work differently in different version of the OS'
> Why you need this in Vista?
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>

> "tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
> >
> > On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to
> > enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers. I
> > cannot
> > find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

> .

Michael Walraven

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers
In Windows 7 at least you can restrict printing by using the properties -
security tab.

You could create a group of permitted users and enable printing only for
that group for instance. Or enable on a name by name basis.

Michael

> Hello Jack
>
> From your question I assume that you believe it is good practice to allow
> all users access to all shared printers! Well, if that is your view, I
> have
> to say that in our environment (SBS2003 with Vista business clients) I do
> not
> believe that to be good practice or even desirable. Nonetheless, unless
> you
> or somebody else can answer my question that is what we are stuck with.
>
> Tricky
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

>> The network arrangements work differently in different version of the OS'
>> Why you need this in Vista?
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>

>> "tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>> >
>> > On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to
>> > enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers. I
>> > cannot
>> > find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

>> .

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers
Hi
I did not view a question about auto searching as a permission question.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Jack
>
> From your question I assume that you believe it is good practice to allow
> all users access to all shared printers! Well, if that is your view, I
> have
> to say that in our environment (SBS2003 with Vista business clients) I do
> not
> believe that to be good practice or even desirable. Nonetheless, unless
> you
> or somebody else can answer my question that is what we are stuck with.
>
> Tricky
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

>> The network arrangements work differently in different version of the OS'
>> Why you need this in Vista?
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>

>> "tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>> >
>> > On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to
>> > enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers. I
>> > cannot
>> > find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

>> .

tricky300

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers
Neither did I Jack, do you have an answer to my original question?

btw, I keep ticking for 'notification of replies' but I have not had one
such notification as yet. Fortunately I am monitoring on a regualr basis!

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> I did not view a question about auto searching as a permission question.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Jack
> >
> > From your question I assume that you believe it is good practice to allow
> > all users access to all shared printers! Well, if that is your view, I
> > have
> > to say that in our environment (SBS2003 with Vista business clients) I do
> > not
> > believe that to be good practice or even desirable. Nonetheless, unless
> > you
> > or somebody else can answer my question that is what we are stuck with.
> >
> > Tricky
> >
> > "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> >> The network arrangements work differently in different version of the OS'
> >> Why you need this in Vista?
> >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
> >>

> >> "tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers

"tricky300" <tricky300@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
> On Win XP there was a tick box under folder options view tab to
> enable/disable automatic searching for network folders and printers.
> I cannot
> find the equivalent for this in Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

In XP I used to control this by setting
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced\NoNetCrawling
to 1. I don't know if that setting still applies to Vista or not, but
might be worth a try.

--
Zaphod

Vell, Zaphod's just zis guy, ya know? - Gag Halfrunt

ddd vgfldldl fllldldl vc

Re: disable automatic search for shared printers

--
swewbbncncn nbnvncncncnvncn nbnncc
rrtreob bnvnvcnvnvncn nbvnncnvncmvncn n bnnvnvncxnc