Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista

Jimmy

Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista
I have reqad the thread about sharing printer with win98 and vista...howver
the thred stopped w/out a solution...I have my printer installed on the vista
laptop with the vista driver. I have the printer shared on the win98
computer. I can see the printer in the network folder on the vista
machine... when i try to connect i get the error
windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
> be completed(error0x00000866)

I tried to change the port to the\\computer name\\shared printer name and I
get the error

windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
> be completed(error0x00000867)

Not sure where to go next....any help would be appreciated.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista
Can the 98 PC 'see' the files and folders on the Vista PC?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have reqad the thread about sharing printer with win98 and vista...howver
> the thred stopped w/out a solution...I have my printer installed on the
> vista
> laptop with the vista driver. I have the printer shared on the win98
> computer. I can see the printer in the network folder on the vista
> machine... when i try to connect i get the error
> windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
>> be completed(error0x00000866)

> I tried to change the port to the\\computer name\\shared printer name and
> get the error
>
> windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
>> be completed(error0x00000867)

> Not sure where to go next....any help would be appreciated.

Jimmy

Re: Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista
Not sure I dont have anything shared on the vista laptop...I only want to use
the printer that is connected to the WIN98 pc so I did not share anything

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can the 98 PC 'see' the files and folders on the Vista PC?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have reqad the thread about sharing printer with win98 and vista...howver
> > the thred stopped w/out a solution...I have my printer installed on the
> > vista
> > laptop with the vista driver. I have the printer shared on the win98
> > computer. I can see the printer in the network folder on the vista
> > machine... when i try to connect i get the error
> > windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
> >> be completed(error0x00000866)

> > I tried to change the port to the\\computer name\\shared printer name and
> > get the error
> >
> > windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
> >> be completed(error0x00000867)

> > Not sure where to go next....any help would be appreciated.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista
To 'share' the printer between the two PCs, both PCs must be in the same
Workgroup.
--

> Not sure I dont have anything shared on the vista laptop...I only want to
> use
> the printer that is connected to the WIN98 pc so I did not share anything
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can the 98 PC 'see' the files and folders on the Vista PC?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have reqad the thread about sharing printer with win98 and
>> >vista...howver
>> > the thred stopped w/out a solution...I have my printer installed on the
>> > vista
>> > laptop with the vista driver. I have the printer shared on the win98
>> > computer. I can see the printer in the network folder on the vista
>> > machine... when i try to connect i get the error
>> > windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
>> >
>> > I tried to change the port to the\\computer name\\shared printer name
>> > and
>> > get the error
>> >
>> > windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
>> >
>> > Not sure where to go next....any help would be appreciated.

Jimmy

Re: Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista
They are in the same workgroup...any other sugestions are greaty appreciated

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> To 'share' the printer between the two PCs, both PCs must be in the same
> Workgroup.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure I dont have anything shared on the vista laptop...I only want to
> > use
> > the printer that is connected to the WIN98 pc so I did not share anything
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can the 98 PC 'see' the files and folders on the Vista PC?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Chuck

Re: Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista
On Sun, 6 May 2007 08:55:00 -0700, Jimmy <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can the 98 PC 'see' the files and folders on the Vista PC?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have reqad the thread about sharing printer with win98 and vista...howver
>> > the thred stopped w/out a solution...I have my printer installed on the
>> > vista
>> > laptop with the vista driver. I have the printer shared on the win98
>> > computer. I can see the printer in the network folder on the vista
>> > machine... when i try to connect i get the error
>> > windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
>> >
>> > I tried to change the port to the\\computer name\\shared printer name and
>> > get the error
>> >
>> > windows cannto connect to the printer.operation could not
>> >
>> > Not sure where to go next....any help would be appreciated.

>Not sure I dont have anything shared on the vista laptop...I only want to use
>the printer that is connected to the WIN98 pc so I did not share anything

Jimmy,

Absent any further options, you might try to get file sharing working first.
Try and separate the overall sharing issue (Vista to 98) from the printer driver
issue. With a complex situation like yours (Vista on the server, 98 on the
client) you have to have a printer that's supported under both Windows 98 and
Vista. And you can work on that only with sharing working.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/file-sharing-and-printer-sharing-are.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...aring-are.html

And I don't see you specifically say that you corrected the LM Authentication
issue.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/microsoft-windows-and-authentication.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ntication.html

And it's possible that the problems don't solely involve Vista and its
differences.

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/