Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection

nigelord

Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection
We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
cannot get to the internet.

This rarely, if ever, happens on the XP machines.

The only way to re-connect the Vista machine to the internet is to
power off/on the router and then it reconnects without a problem.

When it is connected the IP address on the Vista laptop is
192.168.1.65.
However when it has disconnected its IP address becomes 169.254.96.107

I followed advice from another board where the suggestion was made
that Vista was being very picky about getting it's DHCP settings. XP
used to wait 3mins for a DHCP response but Vista only waits 6 seconds.
So anything that delays the DHCP server - ie the router- from
responding within 6 seconds will cause Vista to assign an APIPA
address.

So I unchecked IPv6 in the properties for the Wireless Connection and
then amended Properties for IPv4 so it obtains IP Address
Automatically and has a User Configured Alternate Configuration as
follows:
IP Address: 192.168.2.200
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Preferred DNS: 192.168.2.1

This has not stopped the problem from occurring. Every couple of days
or so the Vista machine loses internet connection and the only way to
get it back is to power off and on the router.

Anybody got any ideas?

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection
Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the laptop - it may update the
net adapter firmware.

Then check for firmware updates for the router - you will need a wired
connection, not wireless, to apply any - and be sure you have the latest
driver for the laptop's net adapter.

On 05/11/2009 17:39, nigelord wrote:
> We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
> Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
> it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
> cannot get to the internet.
>
> This rarely, if ever, happens on the XP machines.
>
> The only way to re-connect the Vista machine to the internet is to
> power off/on the router and then it reconnects without a problem.
>
> When it is connected the IP address on the Vista laptop is
> 192.168.1.65.
> However when it has disconnected its IP address becomes 169.254.96.107
>
> I followed advice from another board where the suggestion was made
> that Vista was being very picky about getting it's DHCP settings. XP
> used to wait 3mins for a DHCP response but Vista only waits 6 seconds.
> So anything that delays the DHCP server - ie the router- from
> responding within 6 seconds will cause Vista to assign an APIPA
> address.
>
> So I unchecked IPv6 in the properties for the Wireless Connection and
> then amended Properties for IPv4 so it obtains IP Address
> Automatically and has a User Configured Alternate Configuration as
> follows:
> IP Address: 192.168.2.200
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> Preferred DNS: 192.168.2.1
>
> This has not stopped the problem from occurring. Every couple of days
> or so the Vista machine loses internet connection and the only way to
> get it back is to power off and on the router.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection
Hi
Some older Router are Not compatible with Vista.
Maybe this can Help, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"nigelord" <nigelord@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
> Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
> it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
> cannot get to the internet.
>
> This rarely, if ever, happens on the XP machines.
>
> The only way to re-connect the Vista machine to the internet is to
> power off/on the router and then it reconnects without a problem.
>
> When it is connected the IP address on the Vista laptop is
> 192.168.1.65.
> However when it has disconnected its IP address becomes 169.254.96.107
>
> I followed advice from another board where the suggestion was made
> that Vista was being very picky about getting it's DHCP settings. XP
> used to wait 3mins for a DHCP response but Vista only waits 6 seconds.
> So anything that delays the DHCP server - ie the router- from
> responding within 6 seconds will cause Vista to assign an APIPA
> address.
>
> So I unchecked IPv6 in the properties for the Wireless Connection and
> then amended Properties for IPv4 so it obtains IP Address
> Automatically and has a User Configured Alternate Configuration as
> follows:
> IP Address: 192.168.2.200
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> Preferred DNS: 192.168.2.1
>
> This has not stopped the problem from occurring. Every couple of days
> or so the Vista machine loses internet connection and the only way to
> get it back is to power off and on the router.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

Tom Newton

Re: Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection
Hi, in step 2 it says...

"Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the
network adapter that is connected to the network."

How does one know the correct subkey to choose?

Gordon

Re: Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection

"nigelord" <nigelord@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
> Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
> it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
> cannot get to the internet.

It's a Vista bug. There is nothing you can do about it except upgrade to
Windows 7.
I had exactly the same problem. Neither Windows 7 nor Linux had this problem
ON THE SAME MACHINE.

Gordon

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Some older Router are Not compatible with Vista.
> Maybe this can Help, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

That may or may not be the cause. I had exactly the same problem - no cure.
Windows 7 and Linux (Ubuntu) had NO such problem on the same machine with
the same router.
It's a Vista BUG.

nigelord

On Nov 6, 9:02*am, "Gordon" <gordonbpar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "nigelord" <nigel...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
> > Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
> > it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
> > cannot get to the internet.

> It's a Vista bug. There is nothing you can do about it except upgrade to
> Windows 7.
> I had exactly the same problem. Neither Windows 7 nor Linux had this problem
> ON THE SAME MACHINE.

I do not think it is the discovery packets, indicated by the Knowledge
Base link, as it does connect and work for a few days and before
losing connection and you can only get it back by powering off router.
The router is BT so there will be millions of them in use across the
UK - it is not that old - we got it 6 months AFTER launch of Vista.
I have switched the Vista PC to static IP addressing to see if that
has any impact. Been working ok for 4 days so far so here's
hoping........
tricky300

RE: Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection
Hello Nigel,

My Vista laptop had similar issues, sp2 fixed this. I can't say for certain
this will fix your problem but if you are not already on sp2 it would be a
good idea anyway.

Tricky

"nigelord" wrote:

> We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
> Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
> it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
> cannot get to the internet.
>
> This rarely, if ever, happens on the XP machines.
>
> The only way to re-connect the Vista machine to the internet is to
> power off/on the router and then it reconnects without a problem.
>
> When it is connected the IP address on the Vista laptop is
> 192.168.1.65.
> However when it has disconnected its IP address becomes 169.254.96.107
>
> I followed advice from another board where the suggestion was made
> that Vista was being very picky about getting it's DHCP settings. XP
> used to wait 3mins for a DHCP response but Vista only waits 6 seconds.
> So anything that delays the DHCP server - ie the router- from
> responding within 6 seconds will cause Vista to assign an APIPA
> address.
>
> So I unchecked IPv6 in the properties for the Wireless Connection and
> then amended Properties for IPv4 so it obtains IP Address
> Automatically and has a User Configured Alternate Configuration as
> follows:
> IP Address: 192.168.2.200
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> Preferred DNS: 192.168.2.1
>
> This has not stopped the problem from occurring. Every couple of days
> or so the Vista machine loses internet connection and the only way to
> get it back is to power off and on the router.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?
>

> .

nigelord

Re: Vista Laptop Regularly Loses Wireless Internet Connection
On Nov 11, 11:04*am, tricky300 <tricky...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello Nigel,
>
> My Vista laptop had similar issues, sp2 fixed this. I can't say for certain
> this will fix your problem but if you are not already on sp2 it would be a
> good idea anyway.
>
> Tricky
>

> "nigelord" wrote:
> > We have 3 PCs at home, 2 with XP on them and 1 with Vista. We use BT
> > Wireless Broadband. Every few days the Vista PC will lose connection -
> > it is still receiving the wireless signal from the router, but it
> > cannot get to the internet.

> > This rarely, if ever, happens on the XP machines.

> > The only way to re-connect the Vista machine to the internet is to
> > power off/on the router and then it reconnects without a problem.

> > When it is connected the IP address on the Vista laptop is
> > 192.168.1.65.
> > However when it has disconnected its IP address becomes 169.254.96.107

> > I followed advice from another board where the suggestion was made
> > that Vista was being very picky about getting it's DHCP settings. XP
> > used to wait 3mins for a DHCP response but Vista only waits 6 seconds.
> > So anything that delays the DHCP server - ie the router- from
> > responding within 6 seconds will cause Vista to assign an APIPA
> > address.

> > So I unchecked IPv6 in the properties for the Wireless Connection and
> > then amended Properties for IPv4 so it obtains IP Address
> > Automatically and has a User Configured Alternate Configuration as
> > follows:
> > IP Address: 192.168.2.200
> > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> > Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> > Preferred DNS: 192.168.2.1

> > This has not stopped the problem from occurring. Every couple of days
> > or so the Vista machine loses internet connection and the only way to
> > get it back is to power off and on the router.

> > Anybody got any ideas?

Tricky,

It is on SP1 so I'll bear that in mind. I switched to fixed IP
addressing and so far (8 days now) it has maintained the connection.