Lost Connection

PVR

Lost Connection
I have three PCs on a home wireless network (Linksys). Two are XP/3
and one is Vista. The Vista and one of the XPs are laptops. The
remaining PC is a Tower connected to the wireless router via wire.
Until very recently connection to the Internet was available on all
three PCs. Connection was "Automatic."

Now the two laptops cannot connect to the 'Net via my home wireless
network. I can connect the two laptops to the 'Net via another
available unsecured network.

What should I do to re-establish connection to the 'Net of my two
laptops using my home wireless network?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Lost Connection
Hi
Log to your Router's menus disable the Wireless security and try to connect.
If you can connect with No security, enable again the Router's Wireless
security and configure the Laptops accordingly.
In general.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"PVR" <peterv666@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I have three PCs on a home wireless network (Linksys). Two are XP/3 and one
>is Vista. The Vista and one of the XPs are laptops. The remaining PC is a
>Tower connected to the wireless router via wire. Until very recently
>connection to the Internet was available on all three PCs. Connection was
>"Automatic."
>
> Now the two laptops cannot connect to the 'Net via my home wireless
> network. I can connect the two laptops to the 'Net via another available
> unsecured network.
>
> What should I do to re-establish connection to the 'Net of my two laptops
> using my home wireless network?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter.

PVR

Re: Lost Connection
Jack, many thanks for your help. Following your suggestions I solved
my
problem.

Peter.