Cannot copy or save file onto a network hard drive

Boog

Cannot copy or save file onto a network hard drive
Hey Y'All,

My home network consists of a desktop (XP Home SP3) and a laptop (Vista Home
Premium SP2 ). The desktop is wired and the laptop is connected wirelessly
to a Linksys WRT600n router. The laptop has a drive mapped to a
subdirectory in the 'All Users\Documents' (Shared Documents) directory on
the C: drive of the desktop.

I discovered my problem when using the Outlook Backup add-in. The problem
is that the file 'Outlook.pst' will begin to copy but the copy process is
terminated
before completion. I tried three times to backup using Outlook and it
failed three times. I thought it may be an Outlook or add-in problem.
Then, in Windows Explorer (on the laptop), I navigated to the
mapped drive and attempted to copy Outlook.pst and paste it into the same
directory. The same problem arose which led me to believe it is a network
problem. I then went to the desktop and used the Outlook Backup add-in to
copy Outlook.pst to the 'All Users\Documents\...' subdirectory and it
succeeded without a problem.

On the laptop, the copy process consistently fails when there is about
200+/- MB remaining to copy. The files is about 560 MB. It fails about 4.5
minutes into the copy process. The error message I receive is titled
"Network Error" and states "There is a problem accessing F:\...\Outlook.pst.
Make sure you are connected to the network and try again. It contains two
buttons, "Try Again" and "Cancel". While the message box is on screen, I
cannot access
the mapped (F drive in Windows Explorer. If I attempt to, I have to end
the Windows Explorer process using Task manager. When I hit "Try Again",
the copy process starts at the beginning and fails again at about 200 MB.
As soon as I cancel the message box, the F: drive is accessible.

Should it make a difference, I recently installed Kaspersky Internet
Security 2010 on my laptop. The desktop has Norton Internet Security 2009
(I haven't installed Kaspersky on the desktop yet). The laptop had no
problems when it used Norton.

My gut tells me that Kaspersky is responsible for this issue in some way.
Would I be correct ? If so, I will contact Kaspersky.
Why else would the copy process terminate at approximately the same place /
time with each attempt?

I am submitting this thread on the laptop using Windows Mail. Just to send
it, I had to temporarily pause protection. If not, the message appears to
send (it is in the Sent Items folder) but does not end up in the NG (or at
least I cannot see it). I have to figure out what setting in Kaspersky
prevents the send. If anyone has suggestions what setting to look for or
modify, I am open to that as well.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you have for these issues.

Boog

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot copy or save file onto a network hard drive
Assuming you can copy small file but not big file, it could be autotuning
issue. This post may help.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Boog" <emailaddress@not.specified> wrote in message
> Hey Y'All,
>
> My home network consists of a desktop (XP Home SP3) and a laptop (Vista
> Home Premium SP2 ). The desktop is wired and the laptop is connected
> wirelessly
> to a Linksys WRT600n router. The laptop has a drive mapped to a
> subdirectory in the 'All Users\Documents' (Shared Documents) directory on
> the C: drive of the desktop.
>
> I discovered my problem when using the Outlook Backup add-in. The problem
> is that the file 'Outlook.pst' will begin to copy but the copy process is
> terminated
> before completion. I tried three times to backup using Outlook and it
> failed three times. I thought it may be an Outlook or add-in problem.
> Then, in Windows Explorer (on the laptop), I navigated to the
> mapped drive and attempted to copy Outlook.pst and paste it into the same
> directory. The same problem arose which led me to believe it is a network
> problem. I then went to the desktop and used the Outlook Backup add-in to
> copy Outlook.pst to the 'All Users\Documents\...' subdirectory and it
> succeeded without a problem.
>
> On the laptop, the copy process consistently fails when there is about
> 200+/- MB remaining to copy. The files is about 560 MB. It fails about
> 4.5 minutes into the copy process. The error message I receive is titled
> "Network Error" and states "There is a problem accessing
> F:\...\Outlook.pst. Make sure you are connected to the network and try
> again. It contains two buttons, "Try Again" and "Cancel". While the
> message box is on screen, I cannot access
> the mapped (F drive in Windows Explorer. If I attempt to, I have to end
> the Windows Explorer process using Task manager. When I hit "Try Again",
> the copy process starts at the beginning and fails again at about 200 MB.
> As soon as I cancel the message box, the F: drive is accessible.
>
> Should it make a difference, I recently installed Kaspersky Internet
> Security 2010 on my laptop. The desktop has Norton Internet Security 2009
> (I haven't installed Kaspersky on the desktop yet). The laptop had no
> problems when it used Norton.
>
> My gut tells me that Kaspersky is responsible for this issue in some way.
> Would I be correct ? If so, I will contact Kaspersky.
> Why else would the copy process terminate at approximately the same place
> / time with each attempt?
>
> I am submitting this thread on the laptop using Windows Mail. Just to
> send it, I had to temporarily pause protection. If not, the message
> appears to send (it is in the Sent Items folder) but does not end up in
> the NG (or at least I cannot see it). I have to figure out what setting
> in Kaspersky prevents the send. If anyone has suggestions what setting to
> look for or modify, I am open to that as well.
>
> Thank you for any advice or suggestions you have for these issues.
>
> Boog

Boog

Re: Cannot copy or save file onto a network hard drive
Bob,

Thank you for the reply. I did fail to mention that I can copy a small
file. I did not test to see what the size limit is before the problem
starts. Nonetheless, I will look into the autotuning issue.

Boog