USB drive conflict

Ken W

USB drive conflict
I have a drive letter that's mapped to a network drive by default. When I
insert a USB drive it tries to assign itself to that same letter, which
creates a conflict and I can't figure out how to access the USB drive. Is
there some way I can direct it to another drive letter?
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: USB drive conflict
Hi
Un-Map the Network Drive and Re-Map it using high letter like L and above.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Ken W" <KenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a drive letter that's mapped to a network drive by default. When I
> insert a USB drive it tries to assign itself to that same letter, which
> creates a conflict and I can't figure out how to access the USB drive. Is
> there some way I can direct it to another drive letter?

Bill Kearney

Re: USB drive conflict
Which may be bad advice as network shares might require being on specific
drive letters.

You might be able to use the Drive Manager to reassign the letter used for
the USB drive. That's probably a better solution. If you can't do it
yourself (because it's a work machine) then have the admins do it for you.
It's a trivial thing to edit.

-Bill Kearney

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Un-Map the Network Drive and Re-Map it using high letter like L and above.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Ken W" <KenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a drive letter that's mapped to a network drive by default. When I
>> insert a USB drive it tries to assign itself to that same letter, which
>> creates a conflict and I can't figure out how to access the USB drive.
>> Is
>> there some way I can direct it to another drive letter?

Ken W

Re: USB drive conflict
How do I access "Drive manager"

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

> Which may be bad advice as network shares might require being on specific
> drive letters.
>
> You might be able to use the Drive Manager to reassign the letter used for
> the USB drive. That's probably a better solution. If you can't do it
> yourself (because it's a work machine) then have the admins do it for you.
> It's a trivial thing to edit.
>
> -Bill Kearney
>

> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > Un-Map the Network Drive and Re-Map it using high letter like L and above.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
> >
> > "Ken W" <KenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have a drive letter that's mapped to a network drive by default. When I
> >> insert a USB drive it tries to assign itself to that same letter, which
> >> creates a conflict and I can't figure out how to access the USB drive.
> >> Is
> >> there some way I can direct it to another drive letter?

> .

smlunatick

Re: USB drive conflict
On Dec 21, 10:59*pm, Ken W <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> How do I access "Drive manager"
>
> "Bill Kearney" wrote:
> > Which may be bad advice as network shares might require being on specific
> > drive letters.

> > You might be able to use the Drive Manager to reassign the letter used for
> > the USB drive. *That's probably a better solution. *If you can't doit
> > yourself (because it's a work machine) then have the admins do it for you.
> > It's a trivial thing to edit.

> > -Bill Kearney

> > "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <j...@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > Un-Map the Network Drive and Re-Map it using high letter like L and above.
> > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> > > "Ken W" <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > .

Right Click on My Computer icon and select Manage.

You may also want to look at USBDLM:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html