Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2

Cap Kirk

Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2
I have a small network with 4 pcs. 1 is Vista 64, two XP Pro and 1 W2K. Peer
to Peer. All machines could see the other machines shares without problem.
The net browser is the W2K machine.

I had to change the chassis of 1 XP Pro box because of heating. everything
was phisically moved to another chassis, no OS change watsoever, nor
component changes. Now, both XPs and the W2K can see shares in each other
normally, as before, and they even can see shares on the Vista box.

But the Vista started behaving in a wierd manner:

Vista to W2K: sees shares normally
Vista to WXP Pro not modified Sees shares normally
Vista to WXP Pro with new chassis: The XP does not recognize the vista User
and Password. I tried as Administrator, as user, changed passwords in both
XP and Vista, created a New user in both machines with and without password,
and still the XP refuses to recognize the Vista credentials.

Any clue will be welcome. I don't know how to trace and record what is
happening, so as to analyze it with more detail.

Thank You

Cap Kirk

smlunatick

Re: Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2
On Nov 3, 4:19*pm, "Cap Kirk" <CapX.KirkX...@gmailX.com> wrote:
> I have a small network with 4 pcs. 1 is Vista 64, two XP Pro and 1 W2K. Peer
> to Peer. All machines could see the other machines shares without problem..
> The net browser is the W2K machine.
>
> I had to change the chassis of 1 XP Pro box because of heating. everything
> was phisically moved to another chassis, no OS change watsoever, nor
> component changes. Now, both XPs and the W2K can see shares in each other
> normally, as before, and they even can see shares on the Vista box.
>
> But the Vista started behaving in a wierd manner:
>
> Vista to W2K: sees shares normally
> Vista to WXP Pro not modified Sees shares normally
> Vista to WXP Pro with new chassis: The XP does not recognize the vista User
> and Password. I tried as Administrator, as user, changed passwords in both
> XP and Vista, created a New user in both machines with and without password,
> and still the XP refuses to recognize the Vista credentials.
>
> Any clue will be welcome. I don't know how to trace and record what is
> happening, so as to analyze it with more detail.
>
> Thank You
>
> Cap Kirk

Any versions of Windows XP without SP3 installed will not let Vista
see any of the shared folders / printers. Vista requires the XP SP2
have a Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder.

Check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2
Hi
The changes probably changed the IP assignment and the computers' addresses
resolution got "stuck".
Undo and Redo your shares.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When done power down every thing and reboot the network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Cap Kirk" <CapX.KirkX.01@gmailX.com> wrote in message
>I have a small network with 4 pcs. 1 is Vista 64, two XP Pro and 1 W2K.
>Peer
> to Peer. All machines could see the other machines shares without problem.
> The net browser is the W2K machine.
>
> I had to change the chassis of 1 XP Pro box because of heating. everything
> was phisically moved to another chassis, no OS change watsoever, nor
> component changes. Now, both XPs and the W2K can see shares in each other
> normally, as before, and they even can see shares on the Vista box.
>
> But the Vista started behaving in a wierd manner:
>
> Vista to W2K: sees shares normally
> Vista to WXP Pro not modified Sees shares normally
> Vista to WXP Pro with new chassis: The XP does not recognize the vista
> User
> and Password. I tried as Administrator, as user, changed passwords in both
> XP and Vista, created a New user in both machines with and without
> password,
> and still the XP refuses to recognize the Vista credentials.
>
> Any clue will be welcome. I don't know how to trace and record what is
> happening, so as to analyze it with more detail.
>
> Thank You
>
> Cap Kirk

Cap Kirk

Re: Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2
Hi, Jack. I followed your instructions. The rebellious XP Pro has SP3
installed. The IP adress is iva DHCP from a Linksys router.

I disabled both Firewalls in Vista and XP (native, no third party)

I undid all shares on th XP. Then I powered down the entire network, an
cleaned the DHCP client list from the router.

Then I powered the units in this order: A) W2K (Browser), B) XP PRO, C)
Vista 64.

I created a new user in Vista XP called TEST pass= 111. Then I created the
same user in Vista.

I created an everyone read only share in Xp.

I enabled Security logging in XP

I tried to connect from Vista to XP. Got wrong user or password message in
the vista box.

The security log in Xp is this (Sorry, its a Spanish Xp):

13/02/2009 11:58:42 Security Errores Inicio/cierre de sesión 529 NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM CALCULO "Error al iniciar sesión:

Razón: Nombre de usuario desconocido o contraseña incorrecta

Reason: Unknoun user or incorrect password

Nombre de usuario: TEST

Dominio: JuanJose1

Tipo de inicio de sesión: 3

Proceso de inicio de sesión: NtLmSsp

Paquete de autenticación: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Nombre de estación de trabajo: JUANJOSE1"

13/02/2009 11:58:42 Security Errores Inicio de sesión de la cuenta 680 NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM CALCULO Inicio de sesión intentado por:
MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Cuenta de inicio de sesión: TEST

Estación de trabajo de origen: JUANJOSE1

Código de error: 0xC000006A

Any clue???

CapKirk

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Hi
> The changes probably changed the IP assignment and the computers'

addresses
> resolution got "stuck".
> Undo and Redo your shares.
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> When done power down every thing and reboot the network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Cap Kirk" <CapX.KirkX.01@gmailX.com> wrote in message
> >I have a small network with 4 pcs. 1 is Vista 64, two XP Pro and 1 W2K.
> >Peer
> > to Peer. All machines could see the other machines shares without

problem.
> > The net browser is the W2K machine.
> >
> > I had to change the chassis of 1 XP Pro box because of heating.

everything
> > was phisically moved to another chassis, no OS change watsoever, nor
> > component changes. Now, both XPs and the W2K can see shares in each

other
> > normally, as before, and they even can see shares on the Vista box.
> >
> > But the Vista started behaving in a wierd manner:
> >
> > Vista to W2K: sees shares normally
> > Vista to WXP Pro not modified Sees shares normally
> > Vista to WXP Pro with new chassis: The XP does not recognize the vista
> > User
> > and Password. I tried as Administrator, as user, changed passwords in

both
> > XP and Vista, created a New user in both machines with and without
> > password,
> > and still the XP refuses to recognize the Vista credentials.
> >
> > Any clue will be welcome. I don't know how to trace and record what is
> > happening, so as to analyze it with more detail.
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Cap Kirk

GTS

--

Both of your statements are incorrect. XP does not require SP3 for Vista to
see shares, not is the LLTD Responder required. The KB you cite involves

GTS

Re: Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2

>> > Vista to W2K: sees shares normally
>> > Vista to WXP Pro not modified Sees shares normally
>> > Vista to WXP Pro with new chassis: The XP does not recognize the vista
>> > User
>> > and Password. I tried as Administrator, as user, changed passwords in

> both
>> > XP and Vista, created a New user in both machines with and without
>> > password,
>> > and still the XP refuses to recognize the Vista credentials.
>> >
>> > Any clue will be welcome. I don't know how to trace and record what is
>> > happening, so as to analyze it with more detail.
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> >
>> > Cap Kirk

If you open an elevated command prompt on the Vista PC and try a net use
command to access the XP share, what error message (if any) occurs?

(net use \\XPNETNAME\Sharename /USER:username password)

Cap Kirk

"GTS" <x@y.net> escribió en el mensaje

vista

> > both

is

> If you open an elevated command prompt on the Vista PC and try a net use
> command to access the XP share, what error message (if any) occurs?
>
> (net use \\XPNETNAME\Sharename /USER:username password)

GTS: Thank you for the help.

I opened an elevated command prompt with the command \\Calculo\C /User: test
xxPASSxx, and got the following message in the VISTA Box:

"Error 86: invalid passord". Now, I know both users and passwords are
correct, so ??

Same thing in the security log of the XP: unknown user or password.

An here come the most wierd part: In a hunch, I changed the name of the XP
Pro SP2 Box to "CALCULO2" (Originally it was "CALCULO"). AND... miracle: Now
the vista box sees correctly the XP Pro.

I checked the Vista box for stored user/passwords of net shares, and found
none.

Any clue? I am starting to believe in little green gremlins..

Cap Kirk

GTS

> "GTS" <x@y.net> escribió en el mensaje

> vista
>> > both

> is

>> If you open an elevated command prompt on the Vista PC and try a net use
>> command to access the XP share, what error message (if any) occurs?
>>
>> (net use \\XPNETNAME\Sharename /USER:username password)
>>

> GTS: Thank you for the help.
>
> I opened an elevated command prompt with the command \\Calculo\C /User:
> test
> xxPASSxx, and got the following message in the VISTA Box:
>
> "Error 86: invalid passord". Now, I know both users and passwords are
> correct, so ??
>
> Same thing in the security log of the XP: unknown user or password.
>
> An here come the most wierd part: In a hunch, I changed the name of the XP
> Pro SP2 Box to "CALCULO2" (Originally it was "CALCULO"). AND... miracle:
> Now
> the vista box sees correctly the XP Pro.
>
> I checked the Vista box for stored user/passwords of net shares, and found
> none.
>
> Any clue? I am starting to believe in little green gremlins..
>
> Cap Kirk

Interesting. I don't know what to make of that. I've seen some behavior
like that in domain situations, but never in a peer to peer network. What
version of Vista 64 are you using (home, ultimate, ...)?

Cap Kirk

> "Cap Kirk" <CapX.KirkX.01@gmailX.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "GTS" <x@y.net> escribió en el mensaje

> > vista

what
> > is

> >> If you open an elevated command prompt on the Vista PC and try a net

use
> >> command to access the XP share, what error message (if any) occurs?
> >>
> >> (net use \\XPNETNAME\Sharename /USER:username password)
> >>

> > GTS: Thank you for the help.
> >
> > I opened an elevated command prompt with the command \\Calculo\C /User:
> > test
> > xxPASSxx, and got the following message in the VISTA Box:
> >
> > "Error 86: invalid passord". Now, I know both users and passwords are
> > correct, so ??
> >
> > Same thing in the security log of the XP: unknown user or password.
> >
> > An here come the most wierd part: In a hunch, I changed the name of the

XP
> > Pro SP2 Box to "CALCULO2" (Originally it was "CALCULO"). AND... miracle:
> > Now
> > the vista box sees correctly the XP Pro.
> >
> > I checked the Vista box for stored user/passwords of net shares, and

found
> > none.
> >
> > Any clue? I am starting to believe in little green gremlins..
> >
> > Cap Kirk
> >

> Interesting. I don't know what to make of that. I've seen some behavior
> like that in domain situations, but never in a peer to peer network. What
> version of Vista 64 are you using (home, ultimate, ...)?

Vista Business 64 SP2 - Automatic Update is enabled
Do you know if there is a specific file or registry key which I could erase
to delete all Net Users and Passwords and start a clean history? just to
check if that is causing this behaviour.

By the way, the Vista box communicates flawlesly with two other XpProSp2 and
a W2K boxes, the problem is only with this one. The MaintainServerList
parameter is set to "NO" in all except the W2K which is the net browser.

Cap Kirk

GTS

> "GTS" <x@y.net> escribió en el mensaje
>>
>> "Cap Kirk" <CapX.KirkX.01@gmailX.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "GTS" <x@y.net> escribió en el mensaje

>> > vista

> what
>> > is

> use

>> > GTS: Thank you for the help.
>> >
>> > I opened an elevated command prompt with the command \\Calculo\C /User:
>> > test
>> > xxPASSxx, and got the following message in the VISTA Box:
>> >
>> > "Error 86: invalid passord". Now, I know both users and passwords are
>> > correct, so ??
>> >
>> > Same thing in the security log of the XP: unknown user or password.
>> >
>> > An here come the most wierd part: In a hunch, I changed the name of the

> XP
>> > Pro SP2 Box to "CALCULO2" (Originally it was "CALCULO"). AND...
>> > miracle:
>> > Now
>> > the vista box sees correctly the XP Pro.
>> >
>> > I checked the Vista box for stored user/passwords of net shares, and

> found
>> > none.
>> >
>> > Any clue? I am starting to believe in little green gremlins..
>> >
>> > Cap Kirk
>> >

>> Interesting. I don't know what to make of that. I've seen some
>> behavior
>> like that in domain situations, but never in a peer to peer network.
>> What
>> version of Vista 64 are you using (home, ultimate, ...)?
>>

> Vista Business 64 SP2 - Automatic Update is enabled
> Do you know if there is a specific file or registry key which I could
> erase
> to delete all Net Users and Passwords and start a clean history? just to
> check if that is causing this behaviour.
>
> By the way, the Vista box communicates flawlesly with two other XpProSp2
> and
> a W2K boxes, the problem is only with this one. The MaintainServerList
> parameter is set to "NO" in all except the W2K which is the net browser.
>
> Cap Kirk

Sorry, I don't know a of such a file or registry key.
There is a history of all drive mappings in
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2]
but I don't think it would help with a credentials issue.