Help me with Vista and XP

Alex Whatley

Help me with Vista and XP
I recently reloaded my Vista Laptop and now cannot connect to my XP shared
Drives, Worked fine with vista the first time around,
Any ideas

Alex Whatley

Re: Help me with Vista and XP
Hey, For some reason i turned on the xp machine and it all worked fine.
still boggles the mind.

but now i can either be connected to my home network(wireless) or Dial-up
internet but not both

Chuck

Re: Help me with Vista and XP
On Sat, 5 May 2007 12:05:14 -0400, "Alex Whatley" <alex__whatley@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I recently reloaded my Vista Laptop and now cannot connect to my XP shared
>Drives, Worked fine with vista the first time around,
>Any ideas

Alex,

The two key settings which cause the most problems:
* Set the Network Location Type to "Private". This implies that your
computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT router, and opens the
personal firewall for file sharing.
* Put all computers in the same workgroup.

Also:
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.

If that doesn't help, describe more completely "cannot connect".
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Chuck

Re: Help me with Vista and XP
On Sat, 5 May 2007 12:54:25 -0400, "Alex Whatley" <alex__whatley@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Hey, For some reason i turned on the xp machine and it all worked fine.
>still boggles the mind.
>
>but now i can either be connected to my home network(wireless) or Dial-up
>internet but not both

Alex,

To start, you need to understand that we are techies, and decently good at
diagnosing networking problems. We are piss poor at mind reading.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/getting-help-on-usenet-and-believing.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...believing.html
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

Start with those articles, and try again to tell us about your problem. We will
do our best, but you have to work with us.