TCP/IP needs repair

KNiezer

TCP/IP needs repair
Somehow or another my TCP/IP has gotten corrupted. So how do I delete and
reinstall? Highlighting the protocols in the properties box then grays out
the uninstall button. Any ideas other than a system restore? I have tested
my computer in both a wireless and wired environment and it doesn’t work in
either one. I cannot ping my local router, I get an error code of 1231, nor
can I see or be seen on the network. I have an USRobotics 8054 router at
home, I went to a hotspot with a linksys router, and I went to my school
where they have both a linksys wireless and a wired LAN. I worked with the
system admin at school and we could not get the computer to connect to
anything. We tried automatically getting an IP address and we tried a static
IP address.
KNiezer

RE: TCP/IP needs repair
Ooops, I forgot to say that I am running Vista Ultimate.
Joe Guidera

Re: TCP/IP needs repair
Open an elevated command prompt

Once at the command prompt, type: netsh int ip reset iplog.txt.

The last part of the command: "iplog.txt," is the filename of the logged
results of the command if you want to view it. The name can be altered as
you wish.

Joe

"KNiezer" <KNiezer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow or another my TCP/IP has gotten corrupted. So how do I delete
> and
> reinstall? Highlighting the protocols in the properties box then grays out
> the uninstall button. Any ideas other than a system restore? I have
> tested
> my computer in both a wireless and wired environment and it doesn’t work
> in
> either one. I cannot ping my local router, I get an error code of 1231,
> nor
> can I see or be seen on the network. I have an USRobotics 8054 router at
> home, I went to a hotspot with a linksys router, and I went to my school
> where they have both a linksys wireless and a wired LAN. I worked with
> the
> system admin at school and we could not get the computer to connect to
> anything. We tried automatically getting an IP address and we tried a
> static
> IP address.

KNiezer

Re: TCP/IP needs repair
Elevated command prompt? How is that different from a regular command prompt?

"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> Open an elevated command prompt
>
> Once at the command prompt, type: netsh int ip reset iplog.txt.
>
> The last part of the command: "iplog.txt," is the filename of the logged
> results of the command if you want to view it. The name can be altered as
> you wish.
>
> Joe

Joe Guidera

Re: TCP/IP needs repair
You want to run the command prompt as an administrator. You can use
start/accessories, locate command prompt, RIGHT click and choose "Run as
administrator"

> Elevated command prompt? How is that different from a regular command
> prompt?
>
> "Joe Guidera" wrote:
>
>> Open an elevated command prompt
>>
>> Once at the command prompt, type: netsh int ip reset iplog.txt.
>>
>> The last part of the command: "iplog.txt," is the filename of the logged
>> results of the command if you want to view it. The name can be altered as
>> you wish.
>>
>> Joe

KNiezer

Re: TCP/IP needs repair
OK, doing that I get the response of:

Reseting Echo Request, failed,
Access is denied.

Reseting Global, OK!
Reseting Interface, OK!
A reboot is required to complete this action.

and I still have no access to my router. When I attempt to ping it I get
the response of:

PING: transmit failed, error code 1231

for each ping

"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> You want to run the command prompt as an administrator. You can use
> start/accessories, locate command prompt, RIGHT click and choose "Run as
> administrator"
>
> Joe
>
> "KNiezer" <KNiezer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Elevated command prompt? How is that different from a regular command
> > prompt?
> >
> > "Joe Guidera" wrote:
> >
> >> Open an elevated command prompt
> >>
> >> Once at the command prompt, type: netsh int ip reset iplog.txt.
> >>
> >> The last part of the command: "iplog.txt," is the filename of the logged
> >> results of the command if you want to view it. The name can be altered as
> >> you wish.
> >>
> >> Joe

Joe Guidera

Re: TCP/IP needs repair
Ok, try removing the network card from within device manager and rebooting.
It should re-detect the card and re-perform all of the bindings.

> OK, doing that I get the response of:
>
> Reseting Echo Request, failed,
> Access is denied.
>
> Reseting Global, OK!
> Reseting Interface, OK!
> A reboot is required to complete this action.
>
> and I still have no access to my router. When I attempt to ping it I get
> the response of:
>
> PING: transmit failed, error code 1231
>
> for each ping
>
> "Joe Guidera" wrote:
>
>> You want to run the command prompt as an administrator. You can use
>> start/accessories, locate command prompt, RIGHT click and choose "Run as
>> administrator"
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "KNiezer" <KNiezer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Elevated command prompt? How is that different from a regular command
>> > prompt?

Gloom

Re: TCP/IP needs repair
Hey Joe, I'm having a similiar problem with my Vista Ultimate as well.

I recently switched from directly being plugged into my modem, to a
router-system at home for my computer.
I get the "Unidentified Network" in the Networks section, and I can't ping
my own IP or Default gate way, as it gives me a "PING: transmit failed, error
code 1231." message.

Currently, all my settings in the IPv4 protocol are set to auto, and setting
them manually makes no difference, except that it gives me error 1232 instead
of 1231...
I have 4 other computer at home running XP and all of them can connect fine.
Also, it's worth mentioning that Vista detects the network as "Network #",
and if I type in 'ipconfig' in command prompt at that exact moment, I get my
IP and default gateway, but then, very quickly, Vista changes the "Network #"
to "Unidentified Nework" and loses all the ipconfig numbers.
"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> Ok, try removing the network card from within device manager and rebooting.
> It should re-detect the card and re-perform all of the bindings.
>
> "KNiezer" <KNiezer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK, doing that I get the response of:
> >
> > Reseting Echo Request, failed,
> > Access is denied.
> >
> > Reseting Global, OK!
> > Reseting Interface, OK!
> > A reboot is required to complete this action.
> >
> > and I still have no access to my router. When I attempt to ping it I get
> > the response of:
> >
> > PING: transmit failed, error code 1231
> >
> > for each ping
> >
> > "Joe Guidera" wrote:
> >
> >> You want to run the command prompt as an administrator. You can use
> >> start/accessories, locate command prompt, RIGHT click and choose "Run as
> >> administrator"
> >>
> >> Joe

Jake Akin

Vista TCP/IP Issues
I am having a very similar problem as KNieze where my properties and uninstall options are not available from my network card properties. When I uninstall the wireless or ethernet card from the Device Manager the drivers do not install properly and I have to do a Restore to get back to where I was. I have 2 of the exact same laptops (Dell Inspiron E1705/9400's) so I can check them against each other when I experience problems.

I have gone through every step I know of, have searched Google and support forums, have spent hours on Dell's chat with their support team, and nothing has helped.

Please let me know if there's any way to uninstal/reinstall/repair the TCP/IP in Vista since I know the issue I am having is directly related to the TCP/IP stack or the files that run this service are corrupted (or something similar to this). I remember repairing this in XP by removing the registry entries and it would rebuild them upon reboot.

I have tried the netsh command for both tcp/ip and for winsock with no positive result.

Any other sugestions would be greatly appreciated. I would even be willing to pay for assistance if someone can give me the instructions for how to get my machine back up and working 100%.

Thanks!!!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista TCP/IP Issues
You may have 3 methods to remove and re-install the TCP/IP on Vista. This
how to may give you more details.

How to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP on Vista
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net