can't disable netbios on XP or Vista

mdk

can't disable netbios on XP or Vista
Hi all,

I disable 'NetBIOS over TCP/IP' on ALL adapters on the XP machine,
reboot the machine, and find the share folder (for testing) still able
to accessed by another windows XP machine. Also, all drives on the
machine can be browsed in Linux with the Connect to server utility.

the problem exists on Vista too.

How can i disable NetBios so that no one can access any drive or file
on the XP machine from within the MS network?

Thanks
John John - MVP

Re: can't disable netbios on XP or Vista
Disabling NetBIOS doesn't restrict access to the machines, NetBIOS is
just a name resolution mechanism, it allows you to communicate to other
computers by name. If you want to restrict access to your machine
disable the Server service (this will also disable printer sharing).

John

mdk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I disable 'NetBIOS over TCP/IP' on ALL adapters on the XP machine,
> reboot the machine, and find the share folder (for testing) still able
> to accessed by another windows XP machine. Also, all drives on the
> machine can be browsed in Linux with the Connect to server utility.
>
> the problem exists on Vista too.
>
> How can i disable NetBios so that no one can access any drive or file
> on the XP machine from within the MS network?
>
> Thanks

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: can't disable netbios on XP or Vista
Hi
Leave alone the basic Network configuration.
Use the Sharing system to unshared/delete/remove the current shares.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"mdk" <mdk332000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I disable 'NetBIOS over TCP/IP' on ALL adapters on the XP machine,
> reboot the machine, and find the share folder (for testing) still able
> to accessed by another windows XP machine. Also, all drives on the
> machine can be browsed in Linux with the Connect to server utility.
>
> the problem exists on Vista too.
>
> How can i disable NetBios so that no one can access any drive or file
> on the XP machine from within the MS network?
>
> Thanks

Gahawy

Re: can't disable netbios on XP or Vista
If you need to stop sharing your folders with any other clients, you can
simply clear the check box next to "File and printer sharing" in the
properties tab for you local area connection. Putting into consideration
that this will not allow you to share printer as well.