Can't install Wireless Printer

OldManEd

Can't install Wireless Printer
I use Vista Home Premium. I have a network that connects one computer by
cable and 3 computer by wireless. I also have a LaserJet 4 Plus. It has an
adapter card that is connected to the router/modem by cable.

I have gone thru the 'Add Printer' procedure several times. It 'finds' a
TCP/IP 'generic adapter card and, after awhile, a list of printers is
displayed. I select mine. Give it a shared name and click on 'print test
page.' Nothing happens.

I used to have a Netgear modem but switch to AT&T wireless router. I am
unable to find a list of attached devices and their IP address.

Can anyone help???

OldEd

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Can't install Wireless Printer
Hi
Most Wireless Network Printers have special software that includes the
Drivers, and other functions. This software has to be installed on all the
computers that are intended to use the Network Printer. Only after
installation of this software and using it for configuration, you would able
to operate correctly the Printer.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote in message
>I use Vista Home Premium. I have a network that connects one computer by
>cable and 3 computer by wireless. I also have a LaserJet 4 Plus. It has an
>adapter card that is connected to the router/modem by cable.
>
> I have gone thru the 'Add Printer' procedure several times. It 'finds' a
> TCP/IP 'generic adapter card and, after awhile, a list of printers is
> displayed. I select mine. Give it a shared name and click on 'print test
> page.' Nothing happens.
>
> I used to have a Netgear modem but switch to AT&T wireless router. I am
> unable to find a list of attached devices and their IP address.
>
> Can anyone help???
>
> OldEd

OldManEd

Re: Can't install Wireless Printer
Jack,
This is NOT a Wireless Network Printer. It is a regular, parallel port HP
LaserJet, c 1995. When I connect it to an old computer that has a parallel
port, it works. All my computers can find it and used it to print.

BUT I MUST KEEP THIS OLD, UNUSED COMPUTER RUNNING ALL THE TIME. So........I
added an adapter card to the printer and connect it with a cat 5 cable to my
modem. The only device that is wireless is my PC. My goal is to shut down
the old computer, throw it out and recover its footprint.

The software(?)/drivers are already installed on all the PCs since they can
already print to it from the old PC.

My problem: Find it on the network!!!! I think I need either the adapter's
IP address, the one assigned by the modem, or some other way to identify it.
My modem is AT&T's DSL 2Wire model 2701. Its address is 192.168.1.254. I can
find(see) the address for each of the PC but not the adapter card which is
connected to the modem.

OldEd

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Most Wireless Network Printers have special software that includes the
> Drivers, and other functions. This software has to be installed on all the
> computers that are intended to use the Network Printer. Only after
> installation of this software and using it for configuration, you would
> able to operate correctly the Printer.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote in message
>>I use Vista Home Premium. I have a network that connects one computer by
>>cable and 3 computer by wireless. I also have a LaserJet 4 Plus. It has an
>>adapter card that is connected to the router/modem by cable.
>>
>> I have gone thru the 'Add Printer' procedure several times. It 'finds' a
>> TCP/IP 'generic adapter card and, after awhile, a list of printers is
>> displayed. I select mine. Give it a shared name and click on 'print test
>> page.' Nothing happens.
>>
>> I used to have a Netgear modem but switch to AT&T wireless router. I am
>> unable to find a list of attached devices and their IP address.
>>
>> Can anyone help???
>>
>> OldEd

smlunatick

On Oct 30, 1:11*am, "OldManEd" <econgle...@snet.net> wrote:
> Jack,
> This is NOT a Wireless Network Printer. It is a regular, parallel port HP
> LaserJet, c 1995. When I connect it to an old computer that has a parallel
> port, it works. All my computers can find it and used it to print.
>
> BUT I MUST KEEP THIS OLD, UNUSED COMPUTER RUNNING ALL THE TIME. So.........I
> added an adapter card to the printer and connect it with a cat 5 cable tomy
> modem. The only device that is wireless is my PC. My goal is to shut down
> the old computer, throw it out and recover its footprint.
>
> The software(?)/drivers are already installed on all the PCs since they can
> already print to it from the old PC.
>
> My problem: Find it on the network!!!! *I think I need either the adapter's
> IP address, the one assigned by the modem, or some other way to identify it.
> My modem is AT&T's DSL 2Wire model 2701. Its address is 192.168.1.254. I can
> find(see) the address for each of the PC but not the adapter card which is
> connected to the modem.
>
> OldEd
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <j...@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message

> > Hi
> > Most Wireless Network Printers have special software that includes the
> > Drivers, and other functions. This software has to be installed on all the
> > computers that are intended to use the Network Printer. Only after
> > installation of this software and using it for configuration, you would
> > able to operate correctly the Printer.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> > "OldManEd" <econgle...@snet.net> wrote in message
> >>I use Vista Home Premium. I have a network that connects one computer by
> >>cable and 3 computer by wireless. I also have a LaserJet 4 Plus. It hasan
> >>adapter card that is connected to the router/modem by cable.

> >> I have gone thru the 'Add Printer' procedure several times. It 'finds'a
> >> TCP/IP 'generic adapter card and, after awhile, a list of printers is
> >> displayed. I select mine. Give it a shared name and click on 'print test
> >> page.' Nothing happens.

> >> I used to have a Netgear modem but switch to AT&T wireless router. I am
> >> unable to find a list of attached devices and their IP address.

> >> Can anyone help???

> >> OldEd

To connect a "parallel" only printer or a network printer to a network
without using a PC / server to control the access:

1) Get a network print server / adapter
2) Assign a "permanent" IP address to this network adapter / print
server
3) Connect the printer, via a wire, to the network switch / hub /
router (LAN side.)
4) On each Windows Vista, add printer and add Local TCP/IP printer
port.
5) Add the IP address assigned to print server / network adapter.

Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html