XP - Vista Networking problem

Rick Morrison

XP - Vista Networking problem
I have a Desktop running XP - SP3 wired to a Linksys wireless router. My
Vista laptop is wireless. I can connect to the Internet fine from either
machine. I can see and access the laptop from the desktop but I can't see
the desktop XP machine from the Vista laptop. I went through this same
thing with my network up north but now that we've moved back to Florida I've
got the same problem. McAfee network management shows both machines on the
network but I can't access shared files and printers from the laptop.

I know there are some settings I need to make to the Vista laptop but I
can't remember what I did to get it working up north.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Rick

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP - Vista Networking problem
Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also it could be 3rd party security
software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and use Wake
on LAN ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Rick Morrison" <rlmorrison@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:avOdnZr6PJ8WbXXXnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>I have a Desktop running XP - SP3 wired to a Linksys wireless router. My
>Vista laptop is wireless. I can connect to the Internet fine from either
>machine. I can see and access the laptop from the desktop but I can't see
>the desktop XP machine from the Vista laptop. I went through this same
>thing with my network up north but now that we've moved back to Florida
>I've got the same problem. McAfee network management shows both machines
>on the network but I can't access shared files and printers from the
>laptop.
>
> I know there are some settings I need to make to the Vista laptop but I
> can't remember what I did to get it working up north.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks, Rick

Rick Morrison

Re: XP - Vista Networking problem
Thanks,

I have the McAfee Firewall turned off on both computers with only the
Windows firewall running. I can ping the Vista portable from the XP desktop
(192.168.1.101) but I can't ping the desktop (192.168.1.100) from the Vista
laptop. I'm pretty sure I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. I also tried
disabling the SPI Firewall in the Linksys router but no help there either.

Thanks,

Rick

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also it could be 3rd party security
> software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot.
> Windows general
> How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe
> Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and
> use Wake on LAN ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Rick Morrison" <rlmorrison@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:avOdnZr6PJ8WbXXXnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>I have a Desktop running XP - SP3 wired to a Linksys wireless router. My
>>Vista laptop is wireless. I can connect to the Internet fine from either
>>machine. I can see and access the laptop from the desktop but I can't see
>>the desktop XP machine from the Vista laptop. I went through this same
>>thing with my network up north but now that we've moved back to Florida
>>I've got the same problem. McAfee network management shows both machines
>>on the network but I can't access shared files and printers from the
>>laptop.
>>
>> I know there are some settings I need to make to the Vista laptop but I
>> can't remember what I did to get it working up north.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks, Rick

daleeh

Re: XP - Vista Networking problem
What happens when you search for the desktop from the laptop? You
should be able to search for it with "\\machinename".

Try temporarily turning off the XP firewall and make sure the McAfee
firewall is really turned off--sometimes getting AV firewalls turned
off can be problematic.

Also, ensure you really aren't running any other security programs on
the XP machine.

XP should be the easier to see from Vista then the other way around,
so something is not set up correctly on the XP machine.

Also, make sure the workgroups are the same and that you have checked
your networking assignments on both. If either is set for a manual IP
and the range is wrong, things get go wrong.

Dale

On Oct 30, 7:44*am, "Rick Morrison" <rlmorri...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I have the McAfee Firewall turned off on both computers with only the
> Windows firewall running. *I can ping the Vista portable from the XP desktop
> (192.168.1.101) but I can't ping the desktop (192.168.1.100) from the Vista
> laptop. *I'm pretty sure I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. *I also tried
> disabling the SPI Firewall in the Linksys router but no help there either..
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>
> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <nore...@chicagotech.net> wrote in messagenews:BC8F0EE4-57AB-443C-AA22-3D4361116288@microsoft.com...
>
> > Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also it could be 3rd party security
> > software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot.
> > Windows general
> > * * *How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe
> > Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and
> > use Wake on LAN ...
> > * * *http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

> > --
> > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> >http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> >http://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > "Rick Morrison" <rlmorri...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >news:avOdnZr6PJ8WbXXXnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews.co m...
> >>I have a Desktop running XP - SP3 wired to a Linksys wireless router. *My
> >>Vista laptop is wireless. *I can connect to the Internet fine from either
> >>machine. *I can see and access the laptop from the desktop but I can't see
> >>the desktop XP machine from the Vista laptop. *I went through this same
> >>thing with my network up north but now that we've moved back to Florida
> >>I've got the same problem. *McAfee network management shows both machines
> >>on the network but I can't access shared files and printers from the
> >>laptop.

> >> I know there are some settings I need to make to the Vista laptop but I
> >> can't remember what I did to get it working up north.

> >> Can anyone help?

> >> Thanks, *Rick

Rick Morrison

Re: XP - Vista Networking problem
Got it!

The problem was with the McAfee Firewall. For whatever reason when I
checked it always said Firewall service not running and I couldn't get in to
do anything with it. After running McAfee's Virtual Technician to correct
that problem I shut the McAfee Firewall down and can not access the XP
machine.

Thanks again,

Rick

"daleeh" <dale.e.harrington@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> >http://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > "Rick Morrison" <rlmorri...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >news:avOdnZr6PJ8WbXXXnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews.co m...
> >>I have a Desktop running XP - SP3 wired to a Linksys wireless router. My
> >>Vista laptop is wireless. I can connect to the Internet fine from either
> >>machine. I can see and access the laptop from the desktop but I can't
> >>see
> >>the desktop XP machine from the Vista laptop. I went through this same
> >>thing with my network up north but now that we've moved back to Florida
> >>I've got the same problem. McAfee network management shows both machines
> >>on the network but I can't access shared files and printers from the
> >>laptop.

> >> I know there are some settings I need to make to the Vista laptop but I
> >> can't remember what I did to get it working up north.

Bob

Re: XP - Vista Networking problem
Does the problem persist if you replace the McAfee Firewall with the Windows
Firewall?

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml

"Rick Morrison" <rlmorrison@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:iJadnVApXrvruHbXnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> Got it!
>
> The problem was with the McAfee Firewall. For whatever reason when I
> checked it always said Firewall service not running and I couldn't get in
> to do anything with it. After running McAfee's Virtual Technician to
> correct that problem I shut the McAfee Firewall down and can not access
> the XP machine.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Rick
>
> "daleeh" <dale.e.harrington@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What happens when you search for the desktop from the laptop? You
> should be able to search for it with "\\machinename".
>
> Try temporarily turning off the XP firewall and make sure the McAfee
> firewall is really turned off--sometimes getting AV firewalls turned
> off can be problematic.
>
> Also, ensure you really aren't running any other security programs on
> the XP machine.
>
> XP should be the easier to see from Vista then the other way around,
> so something is not set up correctly on the XP machine.
>
> Also, make sure the workgroups are the same and that you have checked
> your networking assignments on both. If either is set for a manual IP
> and the range is wrong, things get go wrong.
>

> Dale
>
> On Oct 30, 7:44 am, "Rick Morrison" <rlmorri...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Thanks,
>>
>> I have the McAfee Firewall turned off on both computers with only the
>> Windows firewall running. I can ping the Vista portable from the XP
>> desktop
>> (192.168.1.101) but I can't ping the desktop (192.168.1.100) from the
>> Vista
>> laptop. I'm pretty sure I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. I also tried
>> disabling the SPI Firewall in the Linksys router but no help there
>> either.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <nore...@chicagotech.net> wrote in
>> messagenews:BC8F0EE4-57AB-443C-AA22-3D4361116288@microsoft.com...
>>
>> > Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also it could be 3rd party
>> > security
>> > software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot.
>> > Windows general
>> > How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe
>> > Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup
>> > and
>> > use Wake on LAN ...
>> > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

>> > --
>> > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> >http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> >http://www.HowToNetworking.com

>> > "Rick Morrison" <rlmorri...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> >news:avOdnZr6PJ8WbXXXnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews.co m...

Rick Morrison

Re: XP - Vista Networking problem
No, I have the Windows Firewall running on both machines and everything
works fine.