VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7

Myron Schroner

VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7

Hello folks,
I can't consistently connect over VPN using L2TP, I get error 789.
Others using that server can connect consistently. Here are some
details.

- I'm using Windows 7 but had the same problem with Vista.
- I can connect sometimes, maybe every 10th reboot.
- I've saved copies of system and application event logs and compared
them, there are no differences other than the listed order of items that
all happened to start in the same second.
- I've saved copies of services running and they're the same.
- I've tried a clean boot using msconfig with all non-ms services
stopped and no startup apps running.
- I've tried removing my home router from the equation and using the
modem directly.
- Sometimes it works for a clean boot and sometimes not. Same for a
full boot.
- We're using pre-shared key authentication.

Any ideas? I've been trying to get this nailed for two days and it's
driving me nuts.

--
Myron Schroner
Myron Schroner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149613.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7
In most cases, error 789 is security settings issue. these search results
may help.
a.. VPN error 789
In many cases, VPN error 789 is security settings or 3rd party
software issue ... I'm trying to connect to a l2tp vpn and I receive the
error 789 : The l2tp ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...php?f=2&t=3250 - Similar

a.. Fixed: VPN error 789
but NOT able to connect by L2TP/IPSec (Error 789)2. at work ... I am
experiencing the same problem (error 789) when trying to connect to ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...php?f=2&t=4841

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Myron Schroner" <Myron.Schroner.40s6ra@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hello folks,
> I can't consistently connect over VPN using L2TP, I get error 789.
> Others using that server can connect consistently. Here are some
> details.
>
> - I'm using Windows 7 but had the same problem with Vista.
> - I can connect sometimes, maybe every 10th reboot.
> - I've saved copies of system and application event logs and compared
> them, there are no differences other than the listed order of items that
> all happened to start in the same second.
> - I've saved copies of services running and they're the same.
> - I've tried a clean boot using msconfig with all non-ms services
> stopped and no startup apps running.
> - I've tried removing my home router from the equation and using the
> modem directly.
> - Sometimes it works for a clean boot and sometimes not. Same for a
> full boot.
> - We're using pre-shared key authentication.
>
> Any ideas? I've been trying to get this nailed for two days and it's
> driving me nuts.
>

> --
> Myron Schroner
> Myron Schroner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149613.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1264346.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Myron Schroner

Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7

Thanks Bob.

I've tried it with a clean boot and I've made sure "IPsec Policy Agent"
and "IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" services were running. As a
matter of fact, I did that before posting because of your earlier posts,
so thanks for getting me this far. :-)

I still only get success about every 10 reboots. Of course _something_
has to be different about those particular reboots but I can't figure
out what it is. I just reboot and try, reboot and try, and sometimes it
happens twice in a row, and sometimes it takes ten tries. (Which is a
pain when I need to log in to get some work done.)

Any other ideas greatly appreciated... maybe even any ideas about how
to tell what's different in the system from one reboot to the next.
(Aside from comparing event logs and a list of running services, which
I've done.)

Could the order in which services are started matter? (And if so, why
would it be wrong sometimes only on my machine but consistently right on
other machines?)

I have a fresh install of Windows 7, by the way, from the release code.
Just installed last week.

Myron

--
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1264347.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7
If my memory serves, Cisco VPN can cause this issue also. Do you have Cisco
VPN client in your PC?

--

"Myron Schroner" <Myron.Schroner.40tvva@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks Bob.
>
> I've tried it with a clean boot and I've made sure "IPsec Policy Agent"
> and "IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" services were running. As a
> matter of fact, I did that before posting because of your earlier posts,
> so thanks for getting me this far. :-)
>
> I still only get success about every 10 reboots. Of course _something_
> has to be different about those particular reboots but I can't figure
> out what it is. I just reboot and try, reboot and try, and sometimes it
> happens twice in a row, and sometimes it takes ten tries. (Which is a
> pain when I need to log in to get some work done.)
>
> Any other ideas greatly appreciated... maybe even any ideas about how
> to tell what's different in the system from one reboot to the next.
> (Aside from comparing event logs and a list of running services, which
> I've done.)
>
> Could the order in which services are started matter? (And if so, why
> would it be wrong sometimes only on my machine but consistently right on
> other machines?)
>
> I have a fresh install of Windows 7, by the way, from the release code.
> Just installed last week.
>
> Myron
>

> --
> Myron Schroner
> Myron Schroner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149613.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1264347.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Myron Schroner

Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7

Nope, no Cisco VPN client.

--
Myron Schroner
Myron Schroner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149613.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1264347.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Myron Schroner

Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7

Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this? What might be different
on my system the 1 in 10 times that it succeeds? I've looked at system
and application event logs and the same events happen after boot. I've
compared lists of running services and they're the same.

I'm stumped.

--
Myron Schroner
Myron Schroner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149613.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1264347.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mohammad

Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7
On Nov 4, 7:20*pm, Myron Schroner <Myron.Schroner.
414...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this? *What might be different
> on my system the 1 in 10 times that it succeeds? *I've looked at system
> and application event logs and the same events happen after boot. *I've
> compared lists of running services and they're the same.
>
> I'm stumped.
>
> --
> Myron Schroner
> Myron Schroner's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/149613.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...k/1264347..htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Somebody help us this is a serious problem and no one help us

Johndoe234 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7
Error message 628 then it means that “the port was disconnected”.
1. Boot the system to “Safe Mode with networking”, then establish the VPN connection and check if the issue reoccurs.

2. Please check the firewall settings and ensure that the port which is used by VPN was not blocked.

3. If the computer is connected to a router, please bypass the router to see if it works.

4. Check if other Windows Vista computers on the same network can establish this VPN connection.

cloud computing